PDA

View Full Version : Flagstone chipping

maxwilbryan
04-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Is it normal for the top layer of flagstone to chip away? I layed some last year in a bed of 1/4- . Everything has held up great but half of the stones are flakeing that top layer........
Posted via Mobile Device

esnipe8
04-15-2010, 12:52 AM
I have had this happen also. Not as much as you stated, but yes some.

maxwilbryan
04-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Will it stop at some point? I mean the whole top layer turned to crust in some cases
Posted via Mobile Device

4Russl5
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
So when you got the stone, you didn't notice that the layers were not bonded strongly with each other? Take your time when you go and pick stone, wether by the pallet or individually. Before you lay you stone, rap a hammer around it to reveal the weaker areas which sound flat, and the stronger areas that ring more like a bell.

It is totally normal being natural stone. It is your responsibility to choose better, higher quality material if that is what the customer wants.

Let's see..... spring time, freeze, thaw, cold, and warm with moisture between the layers.

If it looks like junk at the stone supply yard, it is junk. don't buy it. Lay a minimum thickness of 1 1/2"" thick stone for endless reasons.

No it won't really stop. Don't try an adhesive. I would replace the material.

What kind of stone did you lay?

maxwilbryan
04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm no expert. Had a customer ask me to do it so I took on the task as a learning experience. Hard to believe you got to pick and choose every stone. Rock company wouldn't let mr do that anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

4Russl5
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM
You control quality. There have to be several rock companies in your area. Find one that will work with you to give your client the quality you to supply.

maxwilbryan
04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Word
Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm no expert. Had a customer ask me to do it so I took on the task as a learning experience. Hard to believe you got to pick and choose every stone. Rock company wouldn't let mr do that anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ask the stoneyard if they are going to warranty the labor and if they are going to fix the problem. Don't ever let someone else decide your product quality for you. Find a new stoneyard.