PDA

View Full Version : ABT Wireless Remote Control

JimLewis
04-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Anyone heard of these or used them?

http://www.abtwireless.com/index.html

Some company is writing me about a sale that is ending on these soon. They are trying to sell me an ABT Demo Kit, which includes the receiver, three types of transmitters, wireless motion sensor, wireless photo cell, and a digital programmer. All this material is normally priced at $450.00 but for this promotion it is priced at $299.00.

I'm just trying to understand what all this stuff does and what application I would need it for. I'm also a little confused on how they work. I mean I understand what a wireless motion sensor would be good for and why you might need a wireless photo cell. But do these systems (like the remote transmitter and the motion sensor) make the lights come on even outside of the normal times that an outdoor lighting system was set to come on? How would that work? If I have a timer installed inside the transformer, and all the power for the transformer is going THROUGH that timer, than how can I turn on the lights at, say, 3:30 a.m. using the wireless motion sensor when the transformer timer is set to turn off at midnight.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how this stuff would be beneficial and why I would need a demo kit for any of this.

Terradek
04-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Jim,
The ABT system is an RF technology that permits customization of lighting projects by allowing the homeowner to independently control up to three zones of lighting. The unit replaces all clocks since it has an internal programmable clock. The motion sensor, when activated, only turns on lights that are not currently on; the sensitivity and duration of the motion sensor can be set to accomodate whatever parameters you want. The wireless photocell can activate a transformer without having to be physically attached or in the proximity of the transformer; and can be used to synchronize several transformers, if they each have a receiver unit.

My customers have used this product for the last couple of years and we have had great results with it. ABT has a very good technical support team as well and can assist you in the field to trouble shoot and program units. What is nice about this product it can be retrofitted to existing systems without much effort.

ABT Wireless is in the security business primarily and has just recently adapted their products for the lighting industry. Consequently the reliability and performance is exceptional. This product is not for every project, but for those customers who want to control what is lit and when, this is one of the best systems I have come across.

Call me or ABT to learn more about this system...

seolatlanta
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Gerry ,

Does the motion sensor work well? I definitely need to put one of these at my house and start trying it out and figuring out the best way to use them.

I Googled the company and I found nothing but good stuff.

Terradek
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Dave,
This unit is very simple to set up and install. It can be adjusted for the weight of the object that will initiate it and for the duration that it will remain on. One other feature that I like is that it is smart enough to know not to come on during daylight. I highly recommend it.

S&MLL
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Dave,
This unit is very simple to set up and install. It can be adjusted for the weight of the object that will initiate it and for the duration that it will remain on. One other feature that I like is that it is smart enough to know not to come on during daylight. I highly recommend it.

Not true Gerry.

From the factory the sensor when set on "night"only will come on anytime between 4pm and 9am.

Or maybe 3 and 8. Ask Greg.

They are thinking about changing it to i think 6 to 6. But then In jersey winter its dark at 430.

Only way to get around that is hardwire in a photocell. 1 of the few problems I have with ABT. Other then that it is a great system. It goes in any backyard install.... And sometimes the front. Did maybe 12 or 14 abt systems last year with very few problems.

And for everyone who installed an abt more then a year ago. Make sure it has a black sharpie mark on top. Otherwise it will not accept a photocell or motion sensor.

Terradek
04-15-2010, 09:17 PM
is what I meant...Thanks for the times I did not know the current settings.

S&MLL
04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Gerry I never got those color samples for the wire hiders. Need some stuff to match your standard white siding

Tim R.
04-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Yep, I have used them quite a bit and have 3 sitting in my truck right now for install. The motion sensors work good so far from what I can see. Customer support is good also.

moonlighting
04-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Jim,
The ABT system is an RF technology that permits customization of lighting projects by allowing the homeowner to independently control up to three zones of lighting. The unit replaces all clocks since it has an internal programmable clock. The motion sensor, when activated, only turns on lights that are not currently on; the sensitivity and duration of the motion sensor can be set to accomodate whatever parameters you want. The wireless photocell can activate a transformer without having to be physically attached or in the proximity of the transformer; and can be used to synchronize several transformers, if they each have a receiver unit.

My customers have used this product for the last couple of years and we have had great results with it. ABT has a very good technical support team as well and can assist you in the field to trouble shoot and program units. What is nice about this product it can be retrofitted to existing systems without much effort.

ABT Wireless is in the security business primarily and has just recently adapted their products for the lighting industry. Consequently the reliability and performance is exceptional. This product is not for every project, but for those customers who want to control what is lit and when, this is one of the best systems I have come across.

Call me or ABT to learn more about this system...

i have one of these systems on my house now. i like it so far, the oly thing i would like to see is 1 more zone and for the timer to be astronomic with daylight savings feature.
The latter feature should be pretty easy to do if they release a upgrade patch on the website. i am not too sure why anybody would release a timer for the lighting industry without it?
Also, i am unable to call the company from canada with the number on the website and my email has gone un answered. not too sure about this company...

jason

S&MLL
04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
What are you unsure about JAson?

moonlighting
04-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I am not able to communicate withthe company... that makes me nervous. i heard recently that they may have been bought by another company? untill recently the website had not been updated in a long time and thety were no longer promoting their wares at the IA show.

that is what i mean.

jason

sal rodriguez
04-18-2010, 02:53 PM
I am not able to communicate withthe company... that makes me nervous. i heard recently that they may have been bought by another company? untill recently the website had not been updated in a long time and thety were no longer promoting their wares at the IA show.

that is what i mean.

jason

Oy Vey! Didn't they post here last year that they were going out of business and then post again saying they were retracting that and were going to continue in business.

Can someone recall that too?

If they do or have gone out who is going to honor their warranty?

Are you willing to eat it for your customer?

On a more positive note Nightscaping looks like they are going to go on forever. Buy with confidence as I have it on good word that some guy from canada who has been singing their praises for yrs is going to personally back each and every warranty claim in the event that the company does go out.

That is highly unlikely to happen though. There is as about as much a chance of them folding as GM's saturn, Hummer and Oldsmobile divisions. We all know those brands will last forever.

Thank you my canadian pal for allowing me to buy Nightscaping with confidence again :canadaflag:

moonlighting
04-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Oy Vey! Didn't they post here last year that they were going out of business and then post again saying they were retracting that and were going to continue in business.

Can someone recall that too?

If they do or have gone out who is going to honor their warranty?

Are you willing to eat it for your customer?

On a more positive note Nightscaping looks like they are going to go on forever. Buy with confidence as I have it on good word that some guy from canada who has been singing their praises for yrs is going to personally back each and every warranty claim in the event that the company does go out.

That is highly unlikely to happen though. There is as about as much a chance of them folding as GM's saturn, Hummer and Oldsmobile divisions. We all know those brands will last forever.

Thank you my canadian pal for allowing me to buy Nightscaping with confidence again :canadaflag:

Wow, that is great news Sal, i was about to give up hope on NS! Now that i hear there is a Contractor up here willing to look after there warranty i am in it for the long haul!
You will have to get me that guys name... i have a feeling i may have to call him in the future!

jason

S&MLL
04-18-2010, 05:41 PM
ha this forum has some silly people on it.....

Jason I posted their number before. Here it is again. (866) 966-9473.

Number works fine for me. Spoke with greg last week.