PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Tires!!!! Are they On Your Truck

M & MD Lawn
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I just came across this on my truck forum and thought this is good knowledge for us as LCO's because we do so much driving on a daily basis. check it out guys, VERY GOOD INFORMATION! :clapping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZnW7S0MqLM&playnext_from=TL&videos=-NQey-GQXw8

topsites
04-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Something doesn't sound right...

And I realize that tires can separate, but radials usually give considerable
warning as to this type of impending doom, as the lining begins to separate
the tire develops an egg-like shape which can be felt while driving as an ever-
increasing vibration that goes on for MILES...
I couldn't say how many miles, 5, 10, 50, 100...

But I know I've driven on a separating tire before, it's one of those things a driver has to know,
once it starts it needs to be replaced ASAP.

At first the vibration could seem small but I know for a fact even at lower speeds of say 45 mph
by the time that thing is about ready to go, there is NO way a driver would not notice the vibration...

And at highway speeds of 60-65+, the car becomes almost un-driveable if it's a front tire,
on a rear tire the control problem is less severe but still noticeable.

And maybe I'm wrong, maybe they do separate rather suddenly, but it hasn't been my experience.

M & MD Lawn
04-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Ive never had it happen to me either, but i try to keep good tires on my truck seeing as i dont have time for tires to be flyin off and potentially my truck being wrecked

mowerbrad
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I saw this video somewhere else a while back...maybe I did actually watch it on TV...can't remember. But I was just thinking about this the other week and couldn't remember exactly how you read the numbers on the DOT number to determine the age.

So now I went out and check how old my tires are and I've got 2005's on the front and 2006's on the back...so I'm good for now.

GravelyNut
04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I've had tires that were under 6 years old that went egg shaped. Chevy had to replace a set of 6 twice before I switched to Firestones instead of the Goodyears it came with. No more problems of that nature since. All of mine are 2008 dates.

360ci
04-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Old tires start at a dealer sure, but a lot of people buy these super long wearing tires, only to drive 10K a year, so they'll keep them on a said vehicle for 12+ years without thinking twice that the rubber has exceeded its useful life, if not getting close.

Here's the vid I saw a while ago:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897