PDA

View Full Version : Plow Truck?

Lazer Cut
04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a 2006 tundra, 4x4, 4.7i-force v8, sr5 trd off road package... I was wondering what ya'lls input would be for making this a plow truck for small parking lots and driveways... I think it would work great w/ a smaller plow on the front and little work done to it...

I know stupid to talk about a plow now but its something to work for :clapping:

pjlandscapes
04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
on plowsite there are a few guys who have them with plows like fisher ht and love them...

Lazer Cut
04-15-2010, 12:30 PM
that's good to know... i am really wanting to plow this year

Swampy
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
You can make a alot of money plowing, but the down side unless you have good contracts your not going to be making a ton. Unfortantly up here in WI everybody and their mother has a plow hanging off their truck. To me its like the lawn moving side of the game just in winter. If this is your first year I'd think about sub contracting yourself out till you get the hang of it.

Note with a plow your going to have to call your insurance company to have them add it to your policy. Plus if your going to use a De-Icing agents your going to need a way to spread it, plus the insurance on that as well.

Lazer Cut
04-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Ya... if I can plow... I have 2 contracts that will pay for the plow plus if those fall through I have a hook up in a property managment compnay that/wants me to plow...
Posted via Mobile Device

pjlandscapes
04-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Which model is your tundra?
Posted via Mobile Device

pjlandscapes
04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Woops sorry lol just saw the model
Posted via Mobile Device

Lazer Cut
04-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Bump bump
Posted via Mobile Device

360ci
04-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Tundra will work fine for light plowing, the 4.7 is plenty adequate. I agree, stay with a light weight unit under 7.5 feet wide. Even with full hydraulics and mounting kit weight should be in the 600-700lb range depending on model/blade type, etc.

I don't see many Toy's around my area with plows. Mostly I've seen Dodge Ram 1500's that do smaller, light commercial/residential lots. It'll do the job, but for constant work, you'd be asking too much of a half ton truck, irregardless of make- front end will go through parts like crazy.

360ci
04-17-2010, 12:33 AM
I'll add that if the front end drops more than you like, and you find you rub curbs here and there from the suspension bottoming out yet you're still within the front gross axle weight rating (GAWR), then check these out as an option to help you keep the height: http://www.timbren.com/

Lazer Cut
04-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks man... id really like it to plow because I can get this big contract I'm looking into getting... said if I have a plow I have a contract
Posted via Mobile Device

360ci
04-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Not a problem! At least now you can advertise more this fall for winter work. The only downside, is if you get too busy with plowing I'd advise in getting a HD 3/4 ton truck, as I had mentioned.

I thought about going with a half ton myself for plow work as I'm in the market for a new machine. I just don't need the fuel economy hit of a 3/4 or heavier truck right now as it'll also be a daily driver. I'm weighing my options.

Lazer Cut
04-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Ya its my daily driver truck too... I drove roughly w/ traffic 30-45 min to h.s. and when I start college that's like a 45min all one way so sucks gas down sooooo fast because of stop n go traffic... over my spring break w/ going out to my buddy's farm hour away and working almost everyday I think I spent $200+ in gas in like 7 days... now for a big company that's chump change... solo and man that's a lot lol... well at least I think, but its all worth it!
Posted via Mobile Device

pjlandscapes
04-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Fisher plow selection says you could get a 7" 6 HD which is a commercial plow

360ci
04-17-2010, 10:12 PM
$200 in gas in 7 days varies. Most top line companies don't look at mileage much unless they're a single LCO owner/op. I spend $10K/yr+ in fuel, mostly traveling, only about 5-10% of that is used for my business. I use a personal vehicle (2000 Durango R/T) as my business vehicle but it is commercially insured. I don't write off the gas fill ups as I'm a part time LCO, and have been for a decade. What I do is keep track of my business mileage, and charge that at say $0.50/mile as my business expense, which includes fuel and maintenance plus parts and pieces for the trailer as well. Its just easier for me.

For longer distance driving (with minimal people or luggage) I have two mid-size sedans to handle that task more economically. I have a few fuel reward cards, and try to buy it when the price is down. Current 87 octane is $0.941/L or $3.55/ US gallon. My Durango requires 91 octane from the factory, which is a bit of a nuisance but it's one smooth stable ride when laden with cargo and a travel trailer.

I'd be more concerned about the cost of a plow. A 7.5' V Boss plow here in Ontario (installed) runs almost $7500 - so SHOP AROUND! I recommend a flat blade to lower weight on the Toyota, and 7' wide would be better for tight residential use.

ajslands
04-17-2010, 11:45 PM
talk to mercier_me, he plows with a tundra... i think he just had to get his gas pedal fixed too!
does it even snow in Ohio? i know its kinda flat and good for farming, and pioneer sugar.

but i am just pulling your leg...

pjlandscapes
04-17-2010, 11:56 PM
mercer_me has the ht plow right?

ajslands
04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
i have no idea!

ajslands
04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
hes got a fischer!

purpleranger519
04-18-2010, 10:02 AM
As others have said look for a 7.5' plow, if you felt you ever wanted more plow you can always add wings to it for around $200. Fisher, Western, Blizzard and Sno-Way all make plows that fit your truck. Being from Ohio I'd have to guess there are a ton of Meyer dealers in your area which also makes a plow for your truck and dealer support means alot as it does with anything in this business.