PDA

View Full Version : Best brands of seed?

BostonBull
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I am looking for your opinions on what the best brand of seed is out there? I like TTTF and Fine Fescues. Maybe something that is Endophyte enhanced? Or similar.

ICT Bill
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I am looking for your opinions on what the best brand of seed is out there? I like TTTF and Fine Fescues. Maybe something that is Endophyte enhanced? Or similar.

I like the pennington brand, great quality
They now have a line of mycorrhizae coated seed called smart seed
It is the bomb

You should talk to the local extension agent they know local varieties very well, which one are resistant to diseases in you area

SeedPro
04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Seed is seed as long as it's fresh and clean.

I have great success with Lesco seed varieties at a good price.

I have wanted to try some Pennington and others but frankly their distribution and availability sucks and they never want to sell small quantities.

integrityman
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Jacklin has some excellent seed blends with lots of tall/ fine fescues.
http://www.simplot.com/turf/jacklin/

RigglePLC
04-16-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.turfmerchants.com/
is excellent.
But for your area a top quality bluegrass is the best. Maybe Midnight II or Alpine, or America.

For small amounts look for Scotts seed. New Scotts MLB baseball seed is excellent if you have a cooperating ball park in your state.

BostonBull
04-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Tried Penningtons, wasnt overly impressed with the germination rate I got.

The other two look good, but cant find a supplier without calling the co.

Any other good choices? Or what to look for on the labels?

Whitey4
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Go to a custom supply house, one that sells to the golf courses.

I've used Pennington and Scotts retail stuff, and sometimes it was good, other times, very bad. Far too many grassy weed seeds, despite their claims of 0.01 weed seed content.

I recently came across a custom blend from Scotts at my local guy's place, and the weed seed content was labeled as 0.00, a rye and KGB mix. At nearly 60 bucks a 25 lb bag, this stuff better be VERY good. I just used it yesterday for the first time. On about a 1/4 of an acre.

If this doesn't work out, I will travel the extra 25 miles to go to a custom seed house. Bad seed is like bad soil.... it makes for a problematic lawn. I will NEVER use retail Pennington or Scotts again. I want the stuff Scotts sells to Bethpage State Park here in NY for the US Open golf tourney. Not the crap they sell at Lowes or HD.

BostonBull
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Know of any in Eastern MA?

RigglePLC
04-19-2010, 06:32 PM
You should know. I planted Scotts "High Traffic" at my house on April 15, 2010. I used two bags, first was seed from 2009, not coated (still sealed in bag). The second batch was Scotts "High Traffic", but it was coated with their water-absoring polymer. The seed mixtures are high in perennial rye, but also have Kentucky bluegrass. I also planted a sample of each in a coffee mug and kept it inside for comparison. After 72 hours indoors, germination has occurred, in both samples. The tallest sprouts are about a half-inch high.

lilmarvin4064
04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I would be wary about coated seed, especially cool-season seeds. The coating reduces the seed count up to 50% (you're only getting half as much seed) and reduces it's shelf life + it costs a lot more. I don't buy it. I don't think it's worth the money. I haven't had any problems with regular seed, so I don't see a reason to try it. It's just marketing BS, to take more money out of your pocket and give you less product!

RigglePLC
04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
True Marvin, 50 percent of the Scotts bag was inert ingredients.

BostonBull
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
If anyone is uncomfortable with stating their seed of choice, I would love to have some PM's with more info. I understand that this can be a trade secret of sorts. I am just looking for seed for my lawn, and have no desire to ever do lawn installs/seed/care as a profession

Gabby
04-20-2010, 08:07 PM
What ever you do don't use Scotts. I used Scotts Pure Premium and it is Pure garbage. Ruined my lawn. It is loaded with poa trivialis as I am finding out. I have light green grass spots all over my sun and shade lawn. I will go with this next time.

http://www.jonathangreen.com/

BostonBull
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
just read back through and dont know how I missed adding this.

I need a grass seed for high traffic. My kids and dogs kill anything ive tried to put down near the deck and where the most foot traffic is.

RigglePLC
04-20-2010, 09:38 PM
High traffic is a difficult situation. You may need a few stepping stones or some method to spread out the traffic. Put a picnic table and a few lawn chairs in the heavy traffic area 2 weeks out of the month--let the grass recover.

And it is time. I just noticed a neighbor who has new grass seed that came up. He must have planted it about 2 or three weeks ago, around April 1st. Weather has been way above normal in temps, 4 days above 70 last week, and included a couple rain events.

Whitey4
04-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Last year Scotts had a major problem with poa triv in their seed. Prior to last year, it wasn't a problem. I won't use Scotts again.

BostonBull
04-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Any experience with the Jonathan Green seeds? I found a local supplier of them.

maa0808
04-21-2010, 08:58 AM
ive had great luck with jonathan green deep shade seed. my local supplier never seems to have more than 50-100lbs on hand and its pricey compared to lesco seed.

BostonBull
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I ended up going with the Jonathan Green Black Beauty Ultra, thanks for all the help everyone.