PDA

View Full Version : Please Help ID Mold

roscioli
06-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Here are some pics, new lawn, 3 weeks old, finally got around to installing it, I dont spray, dont have a license, but this is my own house so I am all set. I dont have a clue about things like this. Hasnt been mowed yet, temps around 85 and humid this week, i think I probably got a little anxious and over watered, no soil test yet, been fertilized with 19-19-19 twice. Once upon sowing of new seed, once yesterday. Its killing patches of grass, is all over most of the lawn, it is WARM to the touch because its just rotting the grass. I have a few pics, some close ups, some of damage, please be patient with me and my pics, and please help me out! Thanks a ton, Michael

roscioli
06-29-2002, 02:10 PM
pic 1, poor quality, had to shrink too much.
ps, it just showed up this week, in the past 3-4 days

roscioli
06-29-2002, 02:11 PM
pic 2

roscioli
06-29-2002, 02:14 PM

roscioli
06-29-2002, 02:16 PM
last one for now, if you need more, i can take more... Thanks Guys!

grassguy_
06-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Kind of hard to diagnose from the pics but sure seems like some pythium, or some accelerated fusarium patch. I know the past few weeks we've had some hot dry weather , your location might be in the same boat. When temps hit 90 and humidity peaks , overnight humidity and pythium can literally smoke the grass to nothing. Looks like their is mycelial activity in the picks you have shown. Getting the grass mowed , collecting the clippings will help somewhat at stopping its advance. Syringe off dew in the morning by wicking with a garden hose or light watering, avoid watering at nighttime. There are a few fungicides that can hamper the spread of Pythium, not sure whats available for use in your state.

tremor
07-01-2002, 07:01 AM
It looks like Pythium. We're having the weather for it too. The weather won't improve this week either.
Granular Subdue might be the choice for what amounts to about 10 days of control.
Liquids are a little quicker to start working & offer many more molecule choices. Banol, Prodigy/Alliette, Heritage, Subdue Maxx, Mancozeb (at crazy rates), etc, etc...

Then again, the damaged areas already need to be reseeded. If patience is a virtue we posess, Labor Day is coming sooner than we think!

At over $70.00 a bag for 10 days of control on about a half acre, & still plenty of dead grass, I'd wait till fall.

You can also continuously "weazle seed" into the blighted areas. Pythium will never take all the grass. Make sure to keep N at a minimum (until fall) & allow the seedlings enough "dry time" between waterings to wilt a little. Especially when it's very humid.

Steve

roscioli
07-01-2002, 07:20 PM
Thank you very much guys, I think I will keep trying to "weasle" seed in as you say, to keep the bare spots from filling with weeds anyway... Its got about 1/5 of the lawn now, but seems to be dying out, or going away, or whatever it does. The damage is slowing down is what I mean. Anyway, Thanks again, and I will plan on some major overseeding in the fall!:) Mike