PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get out of Park? Pleaseee Help!

Green Team Landscaping
04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
For some reason my truck wont shift out of park. I left it overnight with my 16' trailer and 2 mowers on it(Lazer Z and Turf Tracer) and today when I went to go shift I couldn't? I detached the trailer, and by the process of elimination I discovered that it wasn't the trailer nor the incline. I even went as far as having a family friend tow me up the incline the truck was on just so the truck wasn't resting on the tranny(or whatever it is that stops it from rolling?) and then I tried shifting and still nothing... Can anyone help me out? I am not one bit mechanically inclined and I don't have the slightest clue. The truck will turn on and everything works as it should, I can turn the wheel just fine, but what could be wrong? My friend's Dad who used to race cars said that the cable which prevents shifting unless your foot is on the brake might be at fault, but I don't know. Can anyone help me get an idea of what could be wrong? It's a 1998 F150 4x4 with the automatic transmission. I just want to have a good idea of what it could be and wether or not it's going to be expensive... Thanks!!!

CLARK LAWN
04-16-2010, 12:48 AM
check and see if you have brake lights. fords have an interlock system that gets its signal from the brake light switch. if you need to move it turn the key to the run position and shift to neutral and start it there then shift to drive, just dont go to park again til you have it were you need to be.

treadlite
04-16-2010, 01:22 AM
check your fuses.... could be the one that powers the brake pedal interlock is blown.... should tell you in the owners manual which one it is...

topsites
04-16-2010, 04:11 AM
Stupid safety mechanisms.

AI Inc
04-16-2010, 05:34 AM
If I had to guess , Im guessing its a late 90,s ford. The blinker fuse is shot.

Green Team Landscaping
04-16-2010, 08:04 AM
It wasn't the fuses... I checked them all...

AI Inc
04-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Are you 100% sure? Ive had the same problem with the same yr type truck before.
Do your directionals work or is the light stay solid for directionals?

AI Inc
04-16-2010, 08:10 AM
You can try getting help here.

http://www.fordforums.com/

thom
04-16-2010, 09:36 AM
For some reason my truck wont shift out of park. I left it overnight with my 16' trailer and 2 mowers on it(Lazer Z and Turf Tracer) and today when I went to go shift I couldn't? I detached the trailer, and by the process of elimination I discovered that it wasn't the trailer nor the incline. I even went as far as having a family friend tow me up the incline the truck was on just so the truck wasn't resting on the tranny(or whatever it is that stops it from rolling?) and then I tried shifting and still nothing... Can anyone help me out? I am not one bit mechanically inclined and I don't have the slightest clue. The truck will turn on and everything works as it should, I can turn the wheel just fine, but what could be wrong? My friend's Dad who used to race cars said that the cable which prevents shifting unless your foot is on the brake might be at fault, but I don't know. Can anyone help me get an idea of what could be wrong? It's a 1998 F150 4x4 with the automatic transmission. I just want to have a good idea of what it could be and wether or not it's going to be expensive... Thanks!!!

when a trany wont shift out of park,take note of the resistance of the shifter when you move it from park to any of the gears.if you dont feel the normal resistance,check the cable connection at the trany end(you will need a helper).if the cable connection at the trany is broken,the cable will need replaced. if you are not able to move the gear shift cable at all,disconnect the cable at the trany,then try to move the shifter.if the shifter moves,verify the cable moves at the trany.also while the shift cable is disconnected from the trany,you should be able to moved the gear shift arm on the trany,if not,your truoble is in the trany.
one more note:where the gear shift cable is attached to the column,there is a mounting bracket,which has been known to come loose and cause shifting problems.
what is your definition of expensive?

mowerbrad
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
It's going to be a brake light switch/sensor/solinoid (something along those lines). When you depress your brake, on top of lighting up your brake lights, it also allows you to shift from park. When that sensor/switch becomes faulty, it will not allow you to shift out of park.

To start the truck, turn the key to the "run" position, but don't start the truck. Once in the "run" position, shift the truck into "neutral"...then you can start the truck. If you plan on leaving the truck running for any period of time, just shift into neutral and use the parking brake.

I had the same problem with my truck last year, it was at least a cheap fix.

BTW, your brake lights can still work but the sensor that allows you to shift from park is broken. So don't judge by whether your brake lights or not.

Green Team Landscaping
04-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Are you 100% sure? Ive had the same problem with the same yr type truck before.
Do your directionals work or is the light stay solid for directionals?
You might be right now that I come to think of it. My directional cover fell off, and ow the directional doesnt work, could this be it?

Green Team Landscaping
04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
It's going to be a brake light switch/sensor/solinoid (something along those lines). When you depress your brake, on top of lighting up your brake lights, it also allows you to shift from park. When that sensor/switch becomes faulty, it will not allow you to shift out of park.

To start the truck, turn the key to the "run" position, but don't start the truck. Once in the "run" position, shift the truck into "neutral"...then you can start the truck. If you plan on leaving the truck running for any period of time, just shift into neutral and use the parking brake.

I had the same problem with my truck last year, it was at least a cheap fix.

BTW, your brake lights can still work but the sensor that allows you to shift from park is broken. So don't judge by whether your brake lights or not.
Does "Brake Shift Interlock Solenoid, GFM Module" sound right?

Green Team Landscaping
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I just looked, and the "Stop Lamp Switch, Turn/Hazzard Flasher, Speed Control Mudule" was blown. Someone put a 15 Amp in a 20 Amp slot...