PDA

View Full Version : Soil analysis-does it sell?

grassguy_
06-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Do any of you sell soil analysis with your treatment programs? I was wondering how to sell it, whether it should be sold as one of the treaments or incorporated with the actual treaments charged during the year. The benefits of having a soil analysis itself would help to adjust a program the way the lawn needs to be done but keeping an edge with pricing against competition might be hard to do. Any thoughts? Thanks Guys, have a great 4th!

strickdad
06-29-2002, 04:41 PM
we give them free when you sign up for the program..

grassguy_
06-29-2002, 10:36 PM
What I'm looking at is doing a full soil testing for both the NPK, and micros along with soil PH, CEC, and the works. These aren't cheap to do, we currently use a PH meter for testing PH but having a full detail analysis would definitely be an advantage. Wondering if anyone else does this?

heygrassman
06-30-2002, 12:44 PM
I will let you know... I have a semi-hesitent home owner that has some new plant material that is dying and I believe the PH is off. I am offering a free soil sample ($12.50 at Lesco) in hopes to get some addons.

jf

agrostis palustris
07-01-2002, 12:54 AM
For people who ask me for a fertility program... I tell them that I am going to do a soil test and charge them $35 for it. So far I have only had a problem from 1 person about that, but he came around after some talking. I just explain that I need those results in order to find out what their lawn needs.

dhicks
07-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Maryland requires soil testing every three years if you do fertilizations. I use CLC labs (the same folks that Lesco uses). I do a soil test for every account and new account. I charge $24.95 and up depending on the tests to be run.

grassguy_
07-11-2002, 09:48 PM
Thanks Dhicks, thats what i was wondering, I heard that a few states had made it requirements , wasn't sure which ones. I felt the $25-$30 range was the normal charge for something like this. Figure it would be an easy sell if done when aeration is performed and plugs were then sent in for analysis.

lknm
07-16-2002, 08:40 PM
I only charge $20.00 for a soil test.. I pull plugs 4" deep from approx. 10 locations and mix them together. Then i ship them to the North Carolina dep. of aguculture. for a free analysis. $3.00 to ship. They send me back the results in about 1 week. I tell my customers if i dont do the test i will only be guessing as to what there lawn needs. Thats a small fee compared to what they have in thier lawn to make it look good.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by lknm
I tell my customers if i dont do the test i will only be guessing as to what there lawn needs. Thats a small fee compared to what they have in thier lawn to make it look good.

There's your selling point.

I only test problem lawns.

The rest I guess at from my experiance.