PDA

View Full Version : tequniques for mulch, weed and grass removal in bed cleanups?

firelift
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I am doing more and more bed jobs this year and have came across a couple beds that need the edge line redefined. What are some good techniques for the removal of whats in the existing beds (like mulch, weeds, and grass from improper edging)?

Last year we just used edgers and action hoes to remove the grass that had ran into the existing beds. I know with pine straw you cant leave the weeds and grass. Can you leave the weeds and grass and just spray with roundup then put mulch over and just define the edge line?

360ci
04-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Well, I don't do enough beds to make it worth while, but I'd love to get one of these:
http://www.echo.ca/products_detailed.aspx?CategoryID=23&ProductID=119
as it would save me some time, but not enough time to warrant the cost of a unit.

I mow in est
04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
o have something kind of like that, i have aa stihl edger that mounts to my kombi, same thing as that but doesnt have 6 blade like tip thing, mine is great for sidewalks, and mulch beds,and driveways, but with a kombi its cheaper too, and its stihl cant go wrong with them

firelift
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
That echo hand tool is about 900 bucks and I just dont see it being worth the money. I can spen 14 bucks on a action hoe and move just as fast.

awagner9
04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
they are only 600 and work great as long as soil is somewhat dry

kemco
04-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I saw these in a thread the other day and had to check the website out. Some guys are swearing by these and at about $4.50 a pop compared to $500 or so for the echo bed definer... might just be worth $4.50 to try them out. They go on just about any stick edger.

http://www.trenchblade.com/Home

fastpine
04-23-2010, 12:59 AM
that trench blade seems great, but I cant find the diffrence between it and the original blade on my stick edger?

I mow in est
04-23-2010, 09:30 PM
that trench blade seems great, but I cant find the diffrence between it and the original blade on my stick edger?

i just sent them a email .... ill see if they respond.... i said whts the difference between your trench blade and my stihl, lets see how good there customer service is.....:hammerhead:

kemco
04-23-2010, 11:49 PM
What I've seen from the trenchblade web site is unlike the blade on a stick edger (at least on my kawi it is really just a rectangle piece of metal), the trenchblade has a beveled edge to one side on one end, and another bevel in the other direction on the other end. Hence digging a wider trench rather than just an edge line. At least that's what it looks like to me.

LLahwen
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
you're correct, the trenchblade has a beveled edge. hence the name, trenchblade, implying that when it is in use it will 'trench' rather than simply verticut a normal edge.

i went to the site and saw the photos, i noticed how the guy was modeling using the edger while the bed was on his right.

i typically follow a pattern that brings me around my houses, and all the beds i edge i keep the bed on my left, **** the edger slightly and it makes a nice beveled bedline... say you're looking at the house, start from the front far right corner of course, but coming up the driveway upon a bed, let the edger continue its line and angle it towards your left.

not only do i find it ridiculous to spend 600+ on that stupid echo idea, but i'll also keep my 4.50 for a trenchblade, and my customers will never know the difference to even care.

I mow in est
04-26-2010, 12:22 AM
The difference in your stock blade and the Trenchblade is that the stock flat blade is used to trim the grass between the concrete and turf and the turf and the bedlines. The Trenchblade is flailed .58 inches on each end in opposite directions creating a 2 inch wide trench in the ground. check out some of the photos on my website and you should be able to get a better understanding of the difference.

heres the email back from the company....

pitrack
04-30-2010, 02:11 AM
you're correct, the trenchblade has a beveled edge. hence the name, trenchblade, implying that when it is in use it will 'trench' rather than simply verticut a normal edge.

i went to the site and saw the photos, i noticed how the guy was modeling using the edger while the bed was on his right.

i typically follow a pattern that brings me around my houses, and all the beds i edge i keep the bed on my left, **** the edger slightly and it makes a nice beveled bedline... say you're looking at the house, start from the front far right corner of course, but coming up the driveway upon a bed, let the edger continue its line and angle it towards your left.

not only do i find it ridiculous to spend 600+ on that stupid echo idea, but i'll also keep my 4.50 for a trenchblade, and my customers will never know the difference to even care.

Right on, I thought I would try a couple trenchblades for my stick edger. Not worth it imo, just use a regular blade on a mulch bed and save the $4.50.