PDA

View Full Version : Are Rug Junipers prone to ants?

robert payer
06-29-2002, 06:32 PM
It seems that Rug Junipers tend to get ant nesting infestations more than any other plant in the landscape,. Treating the ants is the easy part. What can be done to help the plant to survive all this activity among its roots?

robert payer
07-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Any insight here? Your help would be appreciated.

robert payer
07-20-2002, 09:05 PM
In an attempt to find an answer, thought to update this thread and bring it to life again. Putting it back on the daily board. Hoping to get some insight here. Sorry to be pesky. My experience is that Ants are drawn to Rug Junipers like no other plant. Can anyone confirm this conclusion?

BigJim
07-20-2002, 10:48 PM
The common old garden ants are generally on plants when there is a food source there for them.Usually the plant will have an insect infestation like aphids or scale,these insects suck the sap out of the plant and secreate it as a sticky substance called honey dew,the ants love to dine on the honey dew,if you elimate the insects the ants will go else where to feed.Just wipe your hand on the juniper foliage if its sticky and often black(which is sooty mould a fungus diesease that forms where theres honey dew)take a look on the stems of the junipers,theres probably scale insects on it.Also as rug junipers are low to the ground they also make a convenient freeway for the ants to travel on as the go along searching for food,the ants dont often eat living plants,as long as they are outside in the garden they generally cause no problems.If there fire ants or some other agressive type,cant help there, cause we aint got them down here yet.Cheers

robert payer
07-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Big Jim,

Thank you for your insight.

I like the little animated cell under your name. That is way cool. How is some thing like that done? Does that little guy pushing the mower ever get tired? Does he have a name? Little strange but looks like a good employee! Seems like a hard worker, he's a keeper.

BigJim
07-22-2002, 12:36 AM
Hey Robert,That guy with the pushmower is me at the moment,mowing all those $15 lawns nite and day trying to strike it rich:D .I'm in between ztrs at the moment.To put a picture in there,go to your profile,edit options,down to avatars and follow the directions.Picture has to be around 50 x 50 pixels to work,the mower guy is an animated gif,theres millions of them out on the net,but its hard to find smaller ones that will work as avatars.Back to the ants,they do love to live around the juniper roots because its usually very dry there,which the junipers like,They dont seem to worry them,but if they need moving on just increase the watering,the ants will move on to a drier spot.

Tony Harrell
07-28-2002, 08:59 AM
BigJim, buying a new Walker?

strickdad
07-28-2002, 10:17 AM
robert, it doesent matter if you have common black, or fire ants. "talstar" is your answer to control..