PDA

View Full Version : How do you get 11" deep roots

cgaengineer
04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
I have read where people claim 11" deep roots with bermuda...I would have to see it with my own eyes to believe it. Around here clay soils are the norm, clay holds moisture well if moisture can penetrate the clay, otherwise it similar to concrete.

I know aeration is important, but if an aerator only pulls cores 2-4" deep it would seem that the roots would do well in the 2-4" range, but hit a concrete barrier after that. Several years of topdressing and aeration would seem to get the results similar to the claims.

Think Green
04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
engineer,
I have taken core samples to the extension services for years and each plug taken at 6 inches of subsoil proves our clay soils are tight to say the least. I haven't seen any extended root penetration in those samples no deeper than 4 inches of the subsoil. In my area, the top 4 inches to topsoil is loose but after that it is all hardpan or rocky material.
Extreme winters here kill's Bermuda grass and Zoysia. It is no secret that all of the good topsoil........loaded with OM is scraped off prior to building and leveling. The local topsoils brought in are loaded with sandy loam soils from agricultural ditches and are subject to tons of seed weed problems. I would love to see ideal soils with roots that penetrate this deep with grass roots. For this same reason, overseeding with cool season grasses isn't practical on our sites. By the time the seeds start to emerge, they do well and after the roots become elongated into the subsoil, the rest is history.