PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia dead?

robert payer
06-29-2002, 05:42 PM
I have a customer that has a Magnolia of 2inch caliper that looks dead. Tree service had stated it was two wet. I was present when he made this conclusion. He did not seem confident. Yes the the ground was wet. Yes the bark had split verically on the trunk. Here is the question. Tree looks totally dead except lots of new growth at the base. Will the old growth Bud out again in the future? Should I just dig it out and start all over planting a little higher?

Thank You in advance for any advice.

BigJim
06-29-2002, 05:55 PM
The tree sounds like its a grafted variety of Magnolia,it has obviously died above the graft and the root stock is resprouting.Dig it out,hard to recommend planting another one in the same place if the first one died,Did the Tree service guy recommend some other varieties?.If the spot is really wet you will have to consider planting another type of tree there that will take conditions better,your local nursery should be able to advise on trees that will do better in a damp spot.Simple test to determine whether a plants alive,scrape the bark,if its green underneath its still living,if its brown and dried looking its dead/dying.Cheers.....

robert payer
07-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Thank you for your insight Big Jim. You are a big help.