PDA

View Full Version : help with tree trim bradford pear

turfeater
04-16-2010, 07:30 PM
hello,,, any opinions would be helpfull

I have a customer who has a few limbs he wants removed from bradford pear trees .they are all full grown about medium sized. most of the trimming is smaller limbs of 4" or less , BUT there is one of concern . It has a 11 to 12"
trunk and up from the ground about 6' it splits off with a limb thats 7 to 8"
diameter that he wants off ..my question is how much stress do you think ?
Its the only limb on that tree that needs removed .

safe to take off ? Of course they are in full bloom .
thanks already ron

betmr
04-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Cut them down. the worst tree I have ever come across. Pretty, yes. But so prone to breaking. The landscape architect that did our University must have loved them. They are all over the place, and every year we have major disasters with them. 1/2 the tree breaks away, 10" x 20' limb falls on street lamps.

The crotches of the limbs are not all wood, like 1/2 the crotch is bark, and they are very brittle, prone to break in high wind and heavy snow & ice. Everyone we take down, will never be replaced by another. I can't wait till they are all gone. Hopefully no one will be hurt by one, they are growing over sidewalks and patio seating areas. and they come down in a heart beat, when they break.

Bradford Pear is a dirty word in my book.

turfeater
04-17-2010, 09:52 AM
any help appreciated thanks ron

betmr
04-17-2010, 10:08 AM
any help appreciated thanks ron

Cut it off. Make sure you use three cut method so you don't tear the bark. First cut under and a few feet out from the main trunk almost 1/2 way through. Second cut a little further out and through to drop main limb. Then final cut just out from the limb collar, where it meets the main trunk. Try to make nice clean cut.

Southern Elegance
04-17-2010, 11:10 PM
best way is with a chian saw and stump grinder!!!! bye bye bradfords