PDA

View Full Version : Exmark walk behind ran, died, and now wont start

condo180
04-16-2010, 09:16 PM
i have an older Exmark Walk-behind mower. i took it out of storage this year and cleaned the carb, changed the oil and gas and fired her off. she ran right away and didnt miss a beat. i went out to my first job, started it up and started to move it from behind the trailer, before i even thought about starting the blades, the mower cut out and died. i couldnt start it again. i brought it back to the shop, fiddled with the carb, ( i ended up putting a brand new one on because i had it on the shelf). still nothing. its giving good spark but i cant get it to fire no matter what. i've tried starting fluid both through the carb and directly into the cylinder. oh and i've also held the safety handle down just in case something happened to one of my safety switches or something. i'm leaning towards a valve problem but i'm not sure... bottom line, i'm running out of options and i need to figure something out quick! any help is greatly appreciated! thanks, jon

topsites
04-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Well...

This solution is a bit pricey and it's the reason I've never done it,
but if the absolute worst comes to and you still don't have a mower
and you HAVE to go out and mow some lawns?

You can rent one from one of them rent-centers.
But they're not cheap...
Like $150+ a day.

I realize this probably isn't very helpful right now but I thought I'd mention it,
it's something I like to remember as a very last resort you can still git'm done.

The next step I would do is take the valve cover off and take a peek in there.

condo180
04-17-2010, 04:49 PM
thanks for the advice haha.. we have a repair dealer arund here that gives you a mower to use if the repair will take more than a day... but i'm not sure i want to pay for the repair either haha.. i'm gonna pop that cover off tonight and give her a loook... i'm pretty interested in what i'm gonna find.....

condo180
04-17-2010, 04:54 PM
i forgot to mention in the original post that i am getting absolutely no fuel into the cylinder. the spark plug has not gotten wet once. this is why i'm leaning towards a stuck or broken valve, specifically the intake valve.

DT Lawn Care
04-17-2010, 05:15 PM
i forgot to mention in the original post that i am getting absolutely no fuel into the cylinder. the spark plug has not gotten wet once. this is why i'm leaning towards a stuck or broken valve, specifically the intake valve.

Fuel pump? Are you getting gas to the carb?

condo180
04-17-2010, 05:29 PM
no fuel pump on this mower, its all gravity fed. and yeah the bowl fills up every time. on occasion i will get gas that comes out near the exhaust port so i know the carb is working.. plus its brand new.

kenneth meals
04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
A little conflict on what it's doing, you said the spark plugs not getting wet, but in the next you say you have fuel at the exhaust port. Sorry just trying to get a clear assessment of what it's doing.

condo180
04-17-2010, 08:29 PM
sorry for the confusion... the spark plug is deffinately not getting wet. i'm absolutely positive about this one. as far as the gas by the exhaust port goes, i'm not sure as to what caused this. i'm thinking that the intake valve is stuck shut or something, causing the fuel to not get in. let me knwo if this helps

Jason Pallas
04-17-2010, 11:29 PM
I had a similar problem once.... believe it or not, I had to make sure that the choke plate was 100% closed tight for it to start. You may want to try looking at this. BTW an engine Make and Model would be helpful...

condo180
04-18-2010, 09:14 AM
yes, i have heard that the chokes can sometimes be an issue. i just tried it yesterday to no avail.... the engine is a Kohler Commander 15 hp. model number is CV15T the spec number is 41542. something that continues to baffle me is why it wont start with starting fluid.. especiall when it is sprayed directly into the cylinder.

DT Lawn Care
04-18-2010, 06:23 PM
yes, i have heard that the chokes can sometimes be an issue. i just tried it yesterday to no avail.... the engine is a Kohler Commander 15 hp. model number is CV15T the spec number is 41542. something that continues to baffle me is why it wont start with starting fluid.. especiall when it is sprayed directly into the cylinder.

OK, pull start. I am very familiar with these engines, I have two CV15Ts and some other Command singles. I had a choke get stuck closed once, that had me baffled for a bit. Are you SURE that you have all of the safeties right? Blade engage is ALL the way off (manual engage?). Mower is in NEUTRAL. Sometimes the tranny switches get funky, you have to move it around a bit. Check your grounding points and wiring, as well as the switch. I don't believe it's fuel/compression related if you check the valves and they are fine.

MarcSmith
04-18-2010, 06:57 PM
but he's getting spark, which rules out safety switches.

bowl fills up, even with the new carb, bow about a clogged jet.... first run of the year, junk in the tank, fuel line... how about the governor...

DT Lawn Care
04-18-2010, 10:07 PM
but he's getting spark, which rules out safety switches.

bowl fills up, even with the new carb, bow about a clogged jet.... first run of the year, junk in the tank, fuel line... how about the governor...

Starting fluid would have some type of effect in any of these cases. I would go for your valves next, you may have lost a pushrod

condo180
04-19-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks guys, thats what i'm leaning towards... would the motor still turn over if i lost a push rod? i feel like something would hang up

DT Lawn Care
04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
thanks guys, thats what i'm leaning towards... would the motor still turn over if i lost a push rod? i feel like something would hang up

Unless it got screwed up really badly, yes it would still turn over. It could be bent or just popped out, you may not even have to replace it. Just remove the valve cover, pretty easy, you will know within seconds. Take you about 1 minute to take the cover off and check it out.

condo180
04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
thanks alot for the help. is there anything in specific i should be looking for? i've had the cover off a long time ago but i cant remember what was in there to be honest with you... thanks again!

DT Lawn Care
04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
thanks alot for the help. is there anything in specific i should be looking for? i've had the cover off a long time ago but i cant remember what was in there to be honest with you... thanks again!

This is what it will look like. http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126920&stc=1&d=1227733320

The rods that go further into the engine are the pushrods, one could be screwed up. If yours looks like mine does, it is probably fine. With the cover off, pull the recoil over to make sure that they go in and out. Good Luck