PDA

View Full Version : Wut iz dis badazz weed?

Alan
06-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Renovating a section of lawn at a commercial building. Turf got beat up bad last year and it was nothing to brag about before that. About 3-4" of sandy topsoil over what is almsot a fine gravel, no moisture holding ability at all. Infested with various weeds and very little grass so I decided to get drastic with it. Set upon it with a small disk harrow, only wanted to break up the top and was concerned about putting a tiller on it an going too deep.

Well!! Got this stuff that refused to be harrowed up! Was making it about im[possible to get a good grade on it so I brought in the tiller and carefully tilled everything in. That seems to have taken care of it

Already did lime and fertilizer, tomorrow I'll rake it out and spray it.

But I'm curious what this stuff is. Grows in clumps with stems raidating out from the center of the clump. Very tough, woody roots which seem to run relatively shallow and are quite prolific. It's about impossible to pull the a clump up, get btoh hands under the central mas and pull until your hands hurt and finally you get the roots to break off and you get the central part to come out. Nasty enough that you could feel the tractor and tiller buck every time you got into a big clump, and we're talking a reasonably heavy machine, JD 318 with a 48" tiller.

Alan
06-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Here's a closeup of one stem of this ****. leaves are almost a silvery green and it's showing the beginings of small yellow flowers.

Hmmm. hard to believe the autocensor takes offense at "apcray"

dan deutekom
06-29-2002, 10:58 PM
My best guess is silvery cinquefoil.

grassguy_
06-29-2002, 11:44 PM
I think Dan has it, looks like cinquefoil, it does get a rather aggressive lateral root system.

KirbysLawn
06-30-2002, 12:41 AM
http://weedalert.com/weed_pages/wa_cinquefoil.htm

Alan
06-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Kirby,

Thanks for the link, I checked it out and at this point I'd bet on Sulphur Cinquefoil, which is a perrenial and has a slightly different leaf configuration than the one linked to. I know this stuff has been there for years, nothing develops that much root system in the 10 weeks since the ground warmed up.

dan deutekom
06-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Your description that leaves are silvery green points to silvery cinquefoil. http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/silvery_cinquefoil.htm

Alan
06-30-2002, 01:32 PM
You're absolutely correct Dan. I didn't find any dope on silvery cinquefoil on the other site, but your link has it nailed to a T. I'm hoping that proper soil chemistry will help control it. That is some NASTY stuff!

Tnaks to everyone!

Alan