PDA

View Full Version : building the perfect transformer

David Gretzmier
04-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Thought I'd start a thread on what the perfect transformer looks and acts like. what features are gotta have, and wants ? we may have done this before, and I am sure folks will want to say MINE MINE- the one I use !

but let's stick to features and specs that make sense ( or not? ) in a trans you want to buy.

basics I think we all agree on, and most trans meet-

needs to hold voltage to less than 1 full volt drop from unloaded to loaded.
easy to plug in photo-cell and digital timer
plenty of room on each lug for 5-6 12 guage wires or more
removable water resistant door with label
nice 6-8 foot cord
circuit breaker switches for each common
multi tap
UL listed for US and canada
stainless cabinet

but I am open for arguments on the above.

things I'd like to see:

the overall trans can handle what it is rated at, period. I don't have to stop at 80%, 90%, but go all the way to 100% and the trans will still go 20 years.

you can put more than 300 watts on a single common if you choose but not overload the overall trans.

a longer cabinet, so around the lugs I have about 4 inches more underneath so I can actually get my hand in there to put wires in lugs without removing the bottom.

1/2 volt taps from 11 volts loaded to 16, and a seperate model that does the same but also takes 1 volt steps from 17 up to 22.

or even better- give me 8-9 taps that are each adjustable with a dimmer switch!

the ability to switch out the cord to a longer or shorter one like FX.

I have other ideas, but chime in guys !

sal rodriguez
04-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Thought I'd start a thread on what the perfect transformer looks and acts like. what features are gotta have, and wants ? we may have done this before, and I am sure folks will want to say MINE MINE- the one I use !

but let's stick to features and specs that make sense ( or not? ) in a trans you want to buy.

needs to hold voltage to less than 1 full volt drop from unloaded to loaded.
easy to plug in photo-cell and digital timer
plenty of room on each lug for 5-6 12 guage wires or more
removable water resistant door with label
nice 6-8 foot cord UL 1838 limits 3' cord, those that exceed 3' lie about 1838- Nightscaping is 3' and they don't lie
circuit breaker switches for each common
multi tap
UL listed for US and canada
stainless cabinet

things I'd like to see:

the overall trans can handle what it is rated at, period. I don't have to stop at 80%, 90%, but go all the way to 100% and the trans will still go 20 years.

you can put more than 300 watts on a single common if you choose but not overload the overall trans. Will not qualify for UL

a longer cabinet, so around the lugs I have about 4 inches more underneath so I can actually get my hand in there to put wires in lugs without removing the bottom.

1/2 volt taps from 11 volts loaded to 16, and a seperate model that does the same but also takes 1 volt steps from 17 up to 22. Never have seen 1/2 volt taps- probably can't be done
or even better- give me 8-9 taps that are each adjustable with a dimmer switch! How much do you want to pay for this?

the ability to switch out the cord to a longer or shorter one like FX. Most have this ability- no need to switch out -just remove cut and re attach - only on trans that have the ability to get to power cord connection

See above
OK it needs to be 10 characters long

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-17-2010, 11:13 PM
I am not going to say that it is 'perfect' but a new, versatile, full featured transformer is on its way to market as we discuss this. The prototypes are at UL now and the manufacturer (a very well-respected name in power systems) is looking to a May 2010 launch. The transformer was developed by listening to a number of different contractors, specifier and LV lighting manufacturers. I was involved in this group and I have to say that the manufacturer did an awesome job in accommodating and incorporating our requests and needs.

See Below:

needs to hold voltage to less than 1 full volt drop from unloaded to loaded. Agreed, and given the experience they have at building pro grade transformers you can bet that the new units will hold their voltage.

easy to plug-in photo-cell and digital timer - The new units will accommodate a whole host of factory installed or after market control components

plenty of room on each lug for 5-6 12 gauge wires or more - Has large capacity lugs/terminals with some trick new features coming in the second generation units.

removable water-resistant door with label - Hinged and removable with locking clasp. Unique fit to keep it water-resistant

nice 6-8 foot cord- Cord length has a lot to do with meeting UL requirements/listings. The new units will be available as UL1838 with pool & spa rating (3' 12ga. cord), or with the 6' cord, or as a hard wire. You just spec. it as you want it.

circuit breaker switches for each common- Got them, but not the same old same 25amp magnetic breakers that everyone else uses. Quite different here in that you will be able to order the transformers in a variety of output sizes and configurations with appropriately sized breakers on board

multi tap- Of course

UL listed for US and canada - Most certainly

stainless cabinet- 100% SS cabinet and hardware. The cabinet has the largest internal cavity dimensions on the market. Plenty of room to make your connections, allow for in-line fusing, or the addition of any other control accessories that you might like to add-on the secondary circuits.

things I'd like to see:

the overall trans can handle what it is rated at, period. I don't have to stop at 80%, 90%, but go all the way to 100% and the trans will still go 20 years.- Amazing flexibility in output size and configurations. No load de-rating necessary.

you can put more than 300 watts on a single common if you choose but not overload the overall trans. - Multiple common lugs depending on the size and configuration that you order.

a longer cabinet, so around the lugs I have about 4 inches more underneath so I can actually get my hand in there to put wires in lugs without removing the bottom. Huge internal wiring compartment, biggest in the industry.

1/2 volt taps from 11 volts loaded to 16, and a separate model that does the same but also takes 1 volt steps from 17 up to 22. No 1/2 volt taps on this as the majority of the consult team did not see a need for them. Single volt taps from 11 to 15, as per UL1838 requirements.

or even better- give me 8-9 taps that are each adjustable with a dimmer switch! Now you are dreaming! LOL have you seen the size of 12V secondary side dimming modules? (Zane) The transformer would have to be enormous.

the ability to switch out the cord to a longer or shorter one like FX. Depending on the model you order it will have either a 3' or 6' power cord, or can be hardwired by an EC on site.

Sorry I can't yet release all of the specifications, cut sheets, etc. The Manufacturer wants to hold back until the products are ready to sell. I will ask again however and if they change their minds, will provide all the info.

sal rodriguez
04-17-2010, 11:13 PM
See above
OK it needs to be 10 characters long

BTW- The best outdoor lighting transformer hands down ever made is the original. Of course it's the Nightscaping transformer I'm talking about.
Made in the USA by artisans :usflag:

I think the owner still builds the transformers himself that's how much pride he takes in the thing. He's something like 93 I think.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-17-2010, 11:17 PM
BTW- The best outdoor lighting transformer hands down ever made is the original. Of course it's the Nightscaping transformer I'm talking about.
Made in the USA by artisans :usflag:

I think the owner still builds the transformers himself that's how much pride he takes in the thing. He's something like 93 I think.

You are quite funny at times... must have been the fresh squeezed OJ this morning. :laugh: Sure beats lemonade!

sal rodriguez
04-17-2010, 11:24 PM
You are quite funny at times... must have been the fresh squeezed OJ this morning. :laugh: Sure beats lemonade!

what's the difference anyway. Solar power and LED's are the wave of the near future.

I know of some guy whose lighting some road signs with that stuff. Transformers as we know them today are gonna be obsolete. I watch the Jetsons.

Anyone putting any kind of money into developing a transformer right now is a sucker.

David Gretzmier
04-19-2010, 12:25 AM
and of course, 1/2 volt taps are out there on the gambino unit. not sure if there are any others. but I have had to compromise on 1 volt taps. my 13 and 14 volt taps always seem to be too crowded. 1/2 volt taps would get more of my voltages closer to 11.1-11.7 as opposed to 10.8-11.8.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure that the UL listed Magnum Transformers are actually ready for sale yet. Check with Mike or Billy on that. I had heard that the UL listing had been acquired but that some changes were required to the units before the could carry the sticker. Might be taken care of by now, but you should ask first.
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyD
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
The perfect transformer would look like the Unique H-Force with Mike Gambino's internal features!

S&MLL
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
The perfect transformer would look like the Unique H-Force with Mike Gambino's internal features!

Good to see you back and posting. How is the new life treating you?