PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Bermuda...

r8derman
04-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey guys we're just North of Atlanta so we are cutting mostly bermuda...and I have a customer who's back yard gets mostly shade and is having a hard time w/ the grass growing...I thought I read a few months back in TURF Magazine about a bermuda grass they have developed that grows good in shade...do any of you guys know the name of it??? Would be helpful if you did...thanks.

Az Gardener
04-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Out here Western Sod promotes "Bob Sod" as a more shade tolerant turf but I think its crap, both the claim and the turf. They "developed" it for the indoor/opening roof stadium where the Diamondbacks play originally known as Bank One Ballpark aka Bob.

It is a very aggressive turf growing in full sum and I have not noticed it doing significantly better than any other Bermuda variety in shade. In full sun it quickly piles up on itself developing a very thick thatch layer. I would consider it to be a high maintenance turf.

I didn't see the article you were referring to Bob sod is the only shade suggested Bermuda I have heard of.

tlc23
04-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Tifgrand
www.tifgrand.com/

terric
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
TifGrand is the world's first sterile hybrid bermudagrass that thrives in 60-70% shade. It is a dense, dark green turf that requires less water and nutrient (N) inputs than other Bermuda's.
Developed by Dr Wayne Hanna at UGA, it has been tested for over a decade (NTEP and others) and was just released by UGA in 2009. It should be available in Summer, 2010.
Full information and a list of growers are available at www.tifgrand.com (http://www.tifgrand.com)