PDA

View Full Version : Difference between truck models?

stuntmanlogan
04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey guys ive been looking at 3/4 ton hd trucks now for a few weeks, and I came across a few different things that ive got a few questions about. Every truck that I have seen on the badge says 2500hd. But I came across one last night that the badge had said just 2500 no hd after it. So is what im questioning about is if there is a difference in things it can and cant do? Im going to call the dealer tomorrow when there open and ask a few questions about it. But I figured that I would see if anyone knows what im even talking about or would know the differences between just what the badge reads. Thanks

rungreen
04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
The hd models have a higher gvrw or whatever they call it. Its rated to haul more than the regular. It does make a difference if you haul alot with it, I've had both and like the hd better

stuntmanlogan
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
The hd models have a higher gvrw or whatever they call it. Its rated to haul more than the regular. It does make a difference if you haul alot with it, I've had both and like the hd better

Alright thanks. I am going to be hauling my lawn trailer and an enclosed trailer some day like 18ft. But the main reason is im using it for snowplowing this year with either like an 8 or 8 1/2 straight or vee blade. Are the non hd able to plow with the same size blades as the hd's?

360ci
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Best thing to do is to go see the vehicle, and check the weight ratings in the door and then compare. Providing they're the same cab config and bed size, the HDs generally have a slightly higher GVWR. The higher front axle weight rating the better for plowing, especially on a 2500 series truck.

STIHL GUY
04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
i just bought a Chevy 2500HD and the HD means it has a higher towing and payload capacity

stuntmanlogan
04-19-2010, 10:32 PM
So from what ive heard there are differences between the two. Im just going to hold out on this truck then, and look for another one that is an hd model. Thanks for the help.

mowerbrad
04-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm assuming that your looking at trucks in the 2001+ year range. If so, then the "HD" indicates the truck having a higher GVWR and higher towing capacity.

However, if you are looking at trucks from the late 90's, then they usually won't say 2500HD, just 2500. Mine says 2500 but is considered HD because of the VIN number.

stuntmanlogan
04-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah the years im looking at are 2003-06.