PDA

View Full Version : Ford or Chevy

jbell36
04-18-2010, 08:14 PM
i already know what you are thinking but this isn't the typical "which truck is better" question...i'm lookng for a diesel and my two options are ford and chevy, i already own a dodge and will never buy another chrysler product again in my life even if it has a cummins in it...

- '06-'07.5 chevy with the lbz duramax 4x4 crew cab

- '08 ford powerstroke 4x4 crew cab

i've only heard great things about the 6.6L lbz duramax and have heard a few bad things the 6.4L powerstroke but nothing terrible...this is going to be used more for personal use than work so i like the fact that the chevy is slightly smaller, or at least it appears so...i will be putting a plow on the front for snow as well

i like the looks of both, not really sure which one i think looks better...let me know what you guys think

StrokerTurbo7.3
04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
I'd go with the Ford but that's because I'm a Ford guy at heart. I don't know anything about the Duramax but I have heard quite a bit about the 6.4 Power Stroke but that's only because I look at the forums directly related to Power Stroke's. With a few modifications they can make ridiculous amounts of power but I know everyone doesn't do that stuff like myself. Better mileage can also be obtained by doing the same mods though.

jbell36
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
oh i would definitely chip it for sure

fatguy28
04-18-2010, 08:30 PM
they are both great trucks but the Chevy i believe gets better mileage than the ford:usflag:

castlerockmo
04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
I am a Huge ford guy too! the 6.4 get about 10 mpg but I have heard of guys modifying them and getting up to 40 mpg. I think the ford looks alot better. I have a 6.0 and I really love it.

G. Ramey
04-18-2010, 08:37 PM
A friend had a 6.4l powerstroke, he didn,t keep it long. It got 11mpg unloaded! The ems I work for has changed from ford to chevrolet with no complaints from any of the 50 plus employees. Our maintanence director said engine problems have gone away, but now we have a few more electrical problems. It seems chevrolet uses cheaper electrical connections. Ofcourse fixing an electrical connector takes an hour or two compared to the weeks a truck used to be down to have the engine rebuilt. Duramax all the way.

jbell36
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
we own 3 fords and they have all been great trucks, my dad is director of buildings and grounds for our county and he says they only deal with ford, so i guess you could say i'm a ford guy too but i've been leaning more towards chevy on this one but he's put the thought back in my head about ford so now i'm at a cross roads...i might agree that the ford looks slightly better than the chevy but it's also a lot bigger and i'm not sure i want that

StrokerTurbo7.3
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
With the DPF in place all the new trucks are just terrible in mpg. If you get rid of that/get a full exhaust, a tuner, and intake your mpg will be around 20ish depending on how you drive. Along with around 500hp to the wheels. Obviously you won't have a warranty anymore. Gotta pay to play!

40 mpg is a bit far fetched for an 8,000lb truck...

Cboy7
04-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I am a chevy guy, but for diesel I think I would go Ford.

when I seen the title I thought we went over that in 3rd grade.. ha.. guessed I matured a bit since then. I still think dodge is junk though, even with cummins.cheaply built. not being mean , just how it is.

jbell36
04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
completely agree, dodge is bullsh1t...i'm actually surprised though on the votes for the powerstroke over the duramax...maybe i should consider ford a little more than i am

StrokerTurbo7.3
04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I'd love to buy one of the new Fords for business purpose. I know, I know why make a brand new truck for business and keep my 13 year old truck for daily driving. Fact is it's to nice to be a work truck. lol

Cboy7
04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
completely agree, dodge is bullsh1t...i'm actually surprised though on the votes for the powerstroke over the duramax...maybe i should consider ford a little more than i am

\actually i voted chevy but then started thinking about the guys i know who had to have the duramax overhauled. so votes would be 4-8 if i pressed ford.

jbell36
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
any other thoughts on this?

grassman177
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
you should get the ford man, you know we have great luck with them, but then again we dont own any of the powerstrokes as they are way more money and the gassers are doing great.

mowerbrad
04-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I've been searching for a new truck for a few months yet and narrowed it down to chevy duramax or ford powerstroke. Now, I'm not looking at as new of trucks as you are, I was looking at the 7.3 powerstrokes and the 2004.5 and 2005 duramax's. I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've learned some great info along the way. I'll try and focus mainly on the engine side of things (sorry if I stray off topic any)...

Chevy----The duramax/allison trucks are GREAT trucks. They ride very smooth, fast acceleration, great with towing and are all around a comforatable and capable truck. The duramax engines are actually my favorite diesel to drive, I think they are more "fun" to drive than any other. The down-side to a dmax/allison truck, is that if something needs to be repaired on the engine or tranny, it gets expensive fast. If you buy a low enough mile truck you really shouldn't have any problems.

Ford----The powerstrokes have made quite a name for themselves over the years (they had their moments with the 6.0's but nonetheless still pretty good engines). Ford trucks are pretty stout and built heavy, their front engine components are quite tough compared to others but their ride isn't quite as smooth as the chevy's. I don't know much about the 6.4 powerstroke and have never driven one...but judging by the 7.3's and 6.0's that I've driven, the 6.4 should be quite an engine.

The thing you have to remember is that the newer engine you get the more emissions stuff that is put on there, so the more stuff to take off :)

I'm partial to the dmax's, so I would go with the chevy.

jbell36
04-19-2010, 10:39 PM
mowerbrad - i hear what you are saying, it looks like we are in the exact same position, i've been researching the two quite a bit over the winter...i'm not exatly wanting anything as new as 2008 but i like that super duty much more than the previous models...i like the 06 - 07.5 duramax's because it has the lbz and with the research i've done that is the best engine

grassman - ya u guys do have some nice trucks...we also have always had fords and have always had good luck with them...are your trucks the newer '08 models?

jbell36
04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
from what i understand the only difference in the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton chevy is the 3/4 ton has a 1 foot longer bed therefore it's not as beastly as the super duty, i like that considering it's going to be more for personal use...i'm debating on if it's really going to make much of a difference

StrokerTurbo7.3
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Can't beat the 7.3! Most reliable diesel I have ever seen. You just won't be seeing any low miles on any of them.

The 6oh no had it's own problems early on but the bugs were worked out in the later years just as emissions changed yet again and switched to the 6.4.

I'm die hard Ford guy so it's a no brainer for me. Wish I were in the same situation. lol

laxman3221
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
from what i understand the only difference in the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton chevy is the 3/4 ton has a 1 foot longer bed therefore it's not as beastly as the super duty, i like that considering it's going to be more for personal use...i'm debating on if it's really going to make much of a difference

Different axles, transmission and so on...

StrokerTurbo7.3
04-19-2010, 10:57 PM

I'd imagine over time that plow will take it's toll on a 1/2 ton alot sooner than the 3/4.

jbell36
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
oh i just meant body style haha, i know the 3/4 has upgraded suspension and the diesels have the bulletproof allison transmission in them and so on...sorry, i should have clarified that

mowerbrad
04-19-2010, 11:33 PM
mowerbrad - i hear what you are saying, it looks like we are in the exact same position, i've been researching the two quite a bit over the winter...i'm not exatly wanting anything as new as 2008 but i like that super duty much more than the previous models...i like the 06 - 07.5 duramax's because it has the lbz and with the research i've done that is the best engine

I'm not a big fan of the ford interiors in the year range I'm looking at (1999-2003), but I don't want to make my decision on a truck solely based on interior looks.

I really like the LLY duramax engines, they have minimal problems and are before any major emissions stuff was put on the trucks. Only problem for me is that these trucks are going for premium prices and they are all at the top of my budget or over my budget. The first generation dmax LB7's are good engines but have the notorious injector problems and that costs some serious money when it comes time to replace the injectors.

I think the 06-07.5 trucks your looking at have the 6-speed allison tranny on them, which is really nice to have. Gives you better fuel economy too.

I've driven an LB7 duramax and then drove a 6.0 powerstroke and there was no comparison...the duramax (despite being the LB7) drove much better than the 6.0. The duramax even drove better than the 7.3 powerstroke I drove. But its all personal preference, go out and test drive a truck with each engine, at least that way you can have a first hand feel for what you like better.

jbell36
04-19-2010, 11:44 PM
no man the interior has a lot to do with the decison in my opinion, if you are going to be spending 30k+ then get everything you want...i agree with you that the ford interiors aren't the best, that is one reason why i was looking at the '08 ford because the interior was much nicer than previous models

mowerbrad
04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
no man the interior has a lot to do with the decison in my opinion, if you are going to be spending 30k+ then get everything you want...i agree with you that the ford interiors aren't the best, that is one reason why i was looking at the '08 ford because the interior was much nicer than previous models

I just don't want to base my decision entirely on the interior....yes the interior has to be right, but I don't want to have that be the only deciding factor.

Plus, I'm only spending $15k-ish on a truck (already spent too much on other things this year) so I can't be too picky, which has been quite hard for me.

stroker51
04-20-2010, 12:18 AM
You know my opinion on this, 7.3 Powerstroke all the way :weightlifter: I NEVER though I would consider a new or almost new truck until I paid my taxes for last year. It's great having older, nice paid off stuff, but I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 2011 6.7 Powerstroke this fall, just have to see what the tax incentives are. For all you are doing with it dude I would find a nice 100k mile or so 7.3. You know the luck I've had with all but one of mine.

westcoh
04-20-2010, 12:39 AM
This picture says it all about what I'd get. I saw it on dieselplace and I believe the truck is an lly duramax. Truck was traded in and it's still on it's original engine and transmission. The duramax/allison combo is the main reason I went with chevy over ford.

That being said I think ford does build a tough truck too. The 6.0 is what scared me away from them the most.

lawn king
04-20-2010, 05:45 AM
GM, The quiet, the mileage, the allison, way more hp, Its a no brainer!

jbell36
04-20-2010, 08:43 AM
This picture says it all about what I'd get. I saw it on dieselplace and I believe the truck is an lly duramax. Truck was traded in and it's still on it's original engine and transmission. The duramax/allison combo is the main reason I went with chevy over ford.

That being said I think ford does build a tough truck too. The 6.0 is what scared me away from them the most.

holy...sh!t!

i've never seen that many miles on anything

unkownfl
04-20-2010, 11:51 AM
You can make those Odometers say anything not saying he did.

oakwdman
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:
good god man.

jbell36
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
good god man.

i hope you read my follow up to that post, i'm only talking about the body style, not the suspension and everything else...i'm not that ******ed ha

oakwdman
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
i hope you read my follow up to that post, i'm only talking about the body style, not the suspension and everything else...i'm not that ******ed ha

lmao nah I saw that and went straight to post a reply. I was thinkin "how the hell did this guy even get in a position to buy a new truck if he doesn't even know this!"
even the ford and chevy cc's come with 8' beds and 6.5' beds. the overall total length of the two comparable trucks will differ but not due to the bed size. (comparing a cc sb ford to a ccsb chevy the overall length will be different but not b/c of the bed size)

I also don't think you can or it's even fair compare the ride of a SFA truck to that of the IFS. I wouldn't mind either and the "weak" IFS will hold a plow fine with a set of timbrens. I own a dodge (sfa) and the ride never really bothers me, I didnt buy it to ride like a caddy I bought it to work and thats what it does so I can't really complain.

jbell36
04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
you bring a valid point, but since it's going to be used as a personal truck as well i think i'm pulling more for the IFS...the "base" of the truck is crew cab "short" bed (standard 6.5), ford or chevy, it just seems that the ford is a bigger truck therefore it would be longer but not necessarily because of the bed

Milwaukee
04-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Digital oderometer one thing it can change by use computer. My friend told me he pay 1 guy to do that.

Here real proof.

97 E250 with 5.4L v8
http://www.millionmilevan.com/assets/images/999_999.JPG

crhoades68
04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
I recently completed a lot of research looking specifically at Ford vs. Chevy. I was a Toyota owner and never had an issue ... just needed more grunt.

After my research I decided to go find a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic with the Duramax. Half way through 2007, Chevy switched to the new engine with the emissions equipment. I was specifically looking for the LBZ Duramax engine.

Do some google searches on diesel and read a lot in the forums. There is a lot of bias based upon whether you are an oval or bowtie fan so you have to read through that. What I found and the recommendations I received from many different discussions is this...

If going with the Ford your safest bet for reliability is the 7.3 engine which was last sold in 2003 (I believe). Ford had a lot of quality issues in the next few years. They have also just this year started making their own engines which might be an indication.

If going with the Chevy I think your best bet is the 2006 - 2007.5.

My bias' and/or opinions going into my research were; I will never own a Dodge and I loved the looks of the Ford trucks.

I have been happy with my purchase but it took a while to find a truck with my specific requirements. I paid about $500 more than planned but got everything I wanted.

Good luck with your search and purchase!

jbell36
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I recently completed a lot of research looking specifically at Ford vs. Chevy. I was a Toyota owner and never had an issue ... just needed more grunt.

After my research I decided to go find a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic with the Duramax. Half way through 2007, Chevy switched to the new engine with the emissions equipment. I was specifically looking for the LBZ Duramax engine.

Do some google searches on diesel and read a lot in the forums. There is a lot of bias based upon whether you are an oval or bowtie fan so you have to read through that. What I found and the recommendations I received from many different discussions is this...

If going with the Ford your safest bet for reliability is the 7.3 engine which was last sold in 2003 (I believe). Ford had a lot of quality issues in the next few years. They have also just this year started making their own engines which might be an indication.

If going with the Chevy I think your best bet is the 2006 - 2007.5.

My bias' and/or opinions going into my research were; I will never own a Dodge and I loved the looks of the Ford trucks.

I have been happy with my purchase but it took a while to find a truck with my specific requirements. I paid about $500 more than planned but got everything I wanted.

Good luck with your search and purchase!

wow, well said...it looks like we are on the same page, after all of the research i've done if i were to go with chevy i would go with the 2006 - 2007 (classic) with the LBZ duramax, also has the six speed allison...i specifically want black leather and a sunroof if i am going to be spending this much money, that makes the search much more difficult because the cheapest i can find is around 35K...that specific year as you stated doesn't yet have the emissions...

the only model of ford's that i like are the 2008 - current and those have the emissions on them which is more or less turning me away from ford...but i agree with you, i do like the looks of ford

will never own a dodge again...ever

still open to what everyone's opinion, i have a few months until i can afford this...

crhoades68
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I paid 33,800. It had 45,500 miles. It is a CC SB with the LT3 package (tan leather, 6 CD, power everything). About the only thing it doesn't have is a sunroof which I don't care about. Of all the trucks I found in a 100 mile radius that seemed to be the going price for those miles. I did find some cheaper but with more miles or the extended cab. Good luck!

FullAuto
04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
The Ford is the better truck itself. The Chevy with it's IFS will ride better. Since you said it's more of a personal truck, I think the Chevy would be the better of the two. If you got one old enough to not have the emissions crap, that would be another positive.

If it's not a 7.3L, I don't want a Ford. I had a 7.3L and when it was time to upgrade (early 2007), I couldn't a nice 7.3L with what I wanted and the mileage I wanted. I went with the Cummins and have no regrets. Yes, the Dodge truck will fall apart around the motor. But I don't "work" my truck as most diesel owners do. I'm pretty easy on my stuff and take good care of things. And it will still fall apart around the motor eventually. I hope when that happens, Ford has something better to offer.

Lazer_Z
04-22-2010, 03:51 PM
good god man.I second your hammer heads. Where the hell do people get their information? Was that guy talking to GravelRat before his post? Let's just pray that he doesn't create any offspring :dizzy:

mjealey
04-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I hate chiming in on these forums, but here we go. My parents have a large farm in Ohio and they USE their trucks. All through high school we had 7.3 Powerstrokes. They are great trucks and really dependable. Compared to today's standards they are way underpowered, but they will handle any lawn trailer any of us pull no problem. Dad went and bought the 6.0 as soon as it came out. BIG BIG MISTAKE!!!! Motor locked up under 3,000 miles due to faulty injectors, bad programming form the factory, some other stuff. Never had been hooked to a trailer as he was breaking it in. Motor covered under waranty and got it fixed. Truck wouldn't start sometimes, (3 dealers never figured it out), transmission had a few problems a year later, etc... You get the point. Got rid of it for an 04 Duramax and that was all she wrote for the Fords. A lot more comnfortable ride, better transmission, hold value better than Ford, no problems with well over 100k on 3 of these trucks.

I have a 2004 Crew Cab LT, and it only has 61k on it. Truck has every option form GM and is very comnfortable, and pulls anything I want it too. I get great gas mileage with it too. I do a mix of city and highway and I average 18.5mpg. I have a dynomax exhaust and K&N Intake. Didn't notice increase in power, picked up quite a bit in mileage.

It was just the headline a few days ago on MSN, they had the worst vehicles for reliability in the past 5 years. Based on % of warranty claims of the # of vehicles on the road. Ford is high on that list, and on another report, maybe Consumer Reports, it was listed as a don't buy. And had the highest warranty claims based on 5 year period.

http://www.thesunsfinancialdiary.com/auto/least-reliable-cars-not-american-made-not-japanese-made-but-european-made/

I actually do like the styling of the new Fords. I would consider getting one again if they work all the bugs out in 2011. There are still way too many problems with 06-10 models. 03-04 was just plain disasturous for Ford. The motor is the only thing holding them back.

I am not brand loyal, as I would take a Cummins anyday, but I would not touch a Powerstroke made in the past 6 years. Ford will eventually get it figured out and I might consider one in the next few years. As for right now, the Duramax has the Ford beat by a lot right now.

I have had no problem with my Duramax, but other people have had many problems. I might go out and buy an 05 Ford and have no problems with it. Who knows. Just my opinion and that may change in a year or so.

jbell36
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I second your hammer heads. Where the hell do people get their information? Was that guy talking to GravelRat before his post? Let's just pray that he doesn't create any offspring :dizzy:

...you're an idiot...read the entire thread before you chime in

LouisianaLawnboy
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
It looks like your poll is really helping u decide. (right now poll is at 31 vs. 32, with ford in the lead)

jbell36
04-23-2010, 09:29 PM
It looks like your poll is really helping u decide. (right now poll is at 31 vs. 32, with ford in the lead)

haha i know, it's 33 all right now...it's helpful though, i like to hear what people have to say...right now i'm leaning towards chevy

360ci
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I'd go for the Duramax 6.6

Ford builds good trucks, but GM builds them lighter (better mileage), and the Duramax only has one turbo, whereas the Ford 6.4 has two - all in all it's more to go wrong and will get costly down the road to keep it on the road. Single turbo diesel driven around town will be more than plenty and parts are also more prominent as the 6.4L only had a lifespan of a couple years, so parts might be hard to find (or very expensive) down the road.

Allison transmission is another bonus for the Duramax. Ford torqueshift is good in its own right, but when you look at parts costs and availability, Allison stands out on top.

Coghlin
04-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I own an LBZ with about 160,000 miles on it. It has had zero breakdowns, only changed the oil, tires and brakes (even the brakes last a long time). I don't baby it, and it gets severely abused. It was drove off the dealer lot pulling 15,000 lbs. Swapped my GN hitch, pintle hitch and 33" rims and tires right there. It rarely has my trailer off of it and it is always overloaded. I haven't even kept up with the regular maintenance and it just works and works well. I have run a pretty big tuner from almost day one as well as I Beta tested one for Edge. Honestly, I have had two Duramaxes and they can't be beat. My Dad still owns my '03 Duramax with over 200,000 miles and it has seen the same hard use with only a window regulator and a power wire replaced. The '03 gets awesome fuel mileage but the '06 isn't too bad either.

I have drove a 6.4 Ford for another guy when some snow storms hit and ran his plow truck and I wasn't impressed. It did not have the power of the Duramax or fuel economy. And I didn't like the shimmy in the front end turning to the lock plowing. I guess it is personal preference a bit but I like the ride and comfort and power of the Duramax.

Coghlin
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I called about an '03 Duramax (LB7) last year that had 1,400,000 kms on it. They still wanted $10,000 for it at the dealer. It was an '03 that was traded in. And no that is not a typo. I don't know when these motors will quit as my LB7 still sounds and runs the same as it did new. My LBZ only gets better mileage now then it ever did.

mowerbrad
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I called about an '03 Duramax (LB7) last year that had 1,400,000 kms on it. They still wanted $10,000 for it at the dealer. It was an '03 that was traded in. And no that is not a typo. I don't know when these motors will quit as my LB7 still sounds and runs the same as it did new. My LBZ only gets better mileage now then it ever did.

1,400,000 kms is about 850,000 miles....$10,000 is way too much for that truck. The duramax engines are great engines but with that many miles, the thing could crap out at any moment. Its worth about $2000 to me.

Dealers are out of their minds with what they are charging for used diesel trucks now. 2004.5 Duramax's with 200k miles are going for $15000+. They really aren't worth that much with that many miles.

I have a friend that bought a 2000 or 2001 Ford F250 7.3L, ext. cab, 4x4 for $12000 with only 85000 miles, about 3 years ago. And now that same type of truck sells for near $14000-$16000 with 150,000+/- miles on it. How do truck prices go up that much in 3 years? The prices should be going down, not up. Its rediculous, dealers really have no idea apparently. Even d-max prices have gone up on used trucks.

stroker51
04-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, two years ago the bottom fell out of the used diesel truck market when diesel jumped up to $5 a gallon. There was me and two other friends of mine that all bought used diesels, I bought an 01 powerstroke, 100k miles, one buddy got an 02 powerstroke with 175k, and my other buddy got an 04 cummins with 200k, the cheapest were the high mileage trucks, both in the 14-15k range, and then my truck was about 17. Two months later they wouldn't have brought near that money, I would say take 2-5k off what we paid. Now, fuel prices are back down, truck market is back up, truck prices have gone back up.

Coghlin
04-26-2010, 07:25 AM
I didn't buy that truck either. I told them they were crazy. Every switch and hinge would be wore out. They just are designed to last that length of time. ALthough the truck did look good.

Gravel Rat
04-26-2010, 04:01 PM
...you're an idiot...read the entire thread before you chime in

Ya Lazer is a idiot so just ignore him I don't think he has many braincells in his head.

Gravel Rat
04-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I second your hammer heads. Where the hell do people get their information? Was that guy talking to GravelRat before his post? Let's just pray that he doesn't create any offspring :dizzy:

Hey the moron is back at it again keep pushing your lawn mower :laugh:

Gravel Rat
04-26-2010, 04:42 PM
The 2008 Ford 6.4s have been a little more problem free the biggest complaint from many is the bad fuel mileage. One of the contractor friends of mine has a 08 F-350 he likes the truck lots of power but it sucks back the fuel.

Couple days ago talking to another guy I know has a 06 Chevy 3500 2wd flatdeck duramax auto. Truck never pulls a trailer but it is grossing 16,000lbs everyday for 4 months truck hasn't had one bit of engine problems. He was going to buy a new truck but changed his mind and keep the one he has.

The only downfall of a Chevy is if you need a tough 4x4 then Ford is the only option.

crhoades68
04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
The 2008 Ford 6.4s have been a little more problem free the biggest complaint from many is the bad fuel mileage. One of the contractor friends of mine has a 08 F-350 he likes the truck lots of power but it sucks back the fuel.

Couple days ago talking to another guy I know has a 06 Chevy 3500 2wd flatdeck duramax auto. Truck never pulls a trailer but it is grossing 16,000lbs everyday for 4 months truck hasn't had one bit of engine problems. He was going to buy a new truck but changed his mind and keep the one he has.

The only downfall of a Chevy is if you need a tough 4x4 then Ford is the only option.

I'm assuming you are referring to the differences between the independent front suspension and the solid axle of the Ford?

Gravel Rat
04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm assuming you are referring to the differences between the independent front suspension and the solid axle of the Ford?

Yes the IFS on the Chevy trucks and being low stance don't do well off road. If Chevy ever went back to a mono beam front axle like Ford or Dodge they would increase their truck sales. Putting a lift in a Chevy doesn't increase the strength you are still dealing with CV joints and A arm suspension.

The 4x4 chevy dually 1 tons say a cab and chassis truck with a flatdeck or a mason dump they can't carry the weight because of the torsion bar suspension.