PDA

View Full Version : best way to give mulch a flat look?

jay albers
04-18-2010, 08:40 PM
When i put new mulch down it always seems to look a little lumpy to me. anyone have a good technique to give it a flat look?

Think Green
04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Depends on what texture of mulch you are applying.
Hardwood triple hammered mulch will lay somewhat evenly. Stringy hardwood will seem lumpy in places. Cypress is another texture!!!
I direct my employees not to use a rake for fine details. After the mulch is applied, they get on their knees and hand scatter the mulch evenly and pat the top as they go across the surface. We have done this for years now!!!!

MumCity Landscaping LLC
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
I always fan rake mine. Use the back side of a metal rake. comes out nice

mark123
04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
After I lay it, I rake it and then pat a pattern into it with the rake. I'll have to make a video of this.

DKJLawnCare
04-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I use a rake to spread a general flat area, then after that its down to the ground to spread by hand

CTmower
04-18-2010, 10:06 PM
I second using the back side of a metal rake, always gives me a perfect flat look.

LB1234
04-19-2010, 08:08 PM

ditto

nepatsfan
04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
the back of a fan rake or lay a pitchfork on the back side and go back and forth.

Florida Gardener
04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
drop and hand spread always comes out nice for me....i only use cypress mulch though.

ajslands
04-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Hand spread for me also, I am not the best at doing it though, usually I'll hire someone to do it and I'll go work on something else... Those metal Lea rakes worm well too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROC lawn and landscapes
04-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Backside of a soft tine rake is the way to go... takes the back ache out of it and after your done you dont mulch stained jeans.

White Gardens
04-21-2010, 07:56 AM
I smooth it out reasonably and leave the rest up to mother nature. A good rain will flatten mulch out.

JMathieu
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Use the backside of a spring rake....works well!

MileHigh
04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I go for the lumpy look.

Drop a barrow down get another, and so forth, and bounce out.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
kinda off topic but, today i saw a crew of mexicanos pitchforking mulch into trash barrells, throwin it up there shoulder and bringing it to the gardens to be dumped and hand spread. It was weird because the gardens were very easily accesible by wheelbarrow. I had never seen this before...whatever works i guess??

mdvaden
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM

That's where my vote resides.

The backside of springy leaf rakes.

About the only way to go flatter is to follow up with a lawn roller, but that would be overkill.

:)

Hoy landscaping
04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
use a rake. also what i do under trees and around mail boxes is put the mulch down, then with your hand shake it left and right real fast and it shoots the mulch around and lands flat

Darryl G
04-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Ya, I use the back side of a metal spring rake to smooth it but then go over it with my backpack blower with one or two of the tubes removed. Nicely blows any mulch off plants and takes the bumps off. Of course, don't blast it, easy does it!

Darryl G
04-23-2010, 08:25 AM
kinda off topic but, today i saw a crew of mexicanos pitchforking mulch into trash barrells, throwin it up there shoulder and bringing it to the gardens to be dumped and hand spread. It was weird because the gardens were very easily accesible by wheelbarrow. I had never seen this before...whatever works i guess??

I've done that before. Easier to get the mulch exactly where you want it.

freddyc
04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
After I lay it, I rake it and then pat a pattern into it with the rake. I'll have to make a video of this.

Thats a great idea to make a video.

LawnSite should have an area where how- to type clips can be included. I think a lot of people would benefit.

nepatsfan
04-23-2010, 09:39 PM

Thats why people think mexicans are such hard workers. An American would use a wheelbarrow and everyone would call him lazy:dizzy: