PDA

View Full Version : Pathlights with adjustable heights

RLI Electric
04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I was wondering if any of you use a pathlight that has adjustable height. My client needs some in the gardens where the plants will grow to roughly 18" throughout the summer. I don't want to have a fixture that is too tall for the 9 months when there is no vertical height to these plants and the fixtures are just looming over everything. I could have sworn I have seen these in some of my catalogs but I cannot seem to find them now. My client would be cool with going out and raising these as necessary if it is simply something like a twist and raise setup.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Vista makes one of the nicest adjustable stems on the market. It is tool-less and very well designed, can be ordered on any of their copper/brass path lights. CAST has just come out with accessory adjustable stems that look good but I have not seen or used these (yet). Nightscaping also has a few pathlights with adjustable stem heights, the Scott & Scout for sure.

sal rodriguez
04-18-2010, 09:58 PM
hey RLI that's a great photo on your home page. i recognize it from the webinar. Is that your project?

David Gretzmier
04-18-2010, 10:14 PM
you can make your own adjustable stems from pipe one size up larger than your pathlight stem. use copper "L" or "m" plumbing pipe. just drill and tap the top 1 inch of the pipe, use brass thumbscrews and the pipe becomes the riser, the path light slided up and down in the pipe, and add 8-10 inches of pipe length for the underground portion to serve as a built in stake. I drill a 7/16 hole 6 inches from the other end to let path light lead out. use a 2x4 piece of wood and a hammer to drive pipe in ground. be careful not to let edge of pipe cut lead wire when driving in pipe. the pathlight stem and all without stake go inside larger diameter pipe. you will need 2 foot or so of lead wire in the bottom of the pipe ( or "stake" portion ) to raise your path and give it a place to go when you shrink it.

The last time I bought 1 inch "m" copper pipe it was less than 2 bucks a foot. the thumbscrews were a buck or so for 2. it adds around 5-6 bucks per path. 1 1/4 and 1 and 1/2 pipe for larger and taller stuff gets closer to 3 and 4 bucks a foot.

although this sounds time consuming, once you do the first one, with confidence, each one after that takes minutes. cut pipe, drill, tap, thumbscrews.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Novel approach David and I'm sure it works too. Time is money though and for the saved time and no need to get all the stuff you can just buy the Stems from others. Ask Steve at CAST for their stem info.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
04-18-2010, 10:39 PM
I agree time is money, but since I am rarely overbooked with landscape lighting I take the time rather than spend the money. I also like building things and doing custom stuff, and customers usually think it is cool I special made an item for them.

The Lighting Geek
04-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I took a look at the adjustable stem path light Nightscaping while I was in Canada and it is pretty sweet. Very nicely made.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-18-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree time is money, but since I am rarely overbooked with landscape lighting I take the time rather than spend the money. I also like building things and doing custom stuff, and customers usually think it is cool I special made an item for them.

Gotchya... I can see your point.
Posted via Mobile Device

steveparrott
04-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Check out our new fixture extensions (fixed and telescopic). We use long brass insets with tight tolerances to eliminate all wobble.

http://www.cast-lighting.com/learning/articles/product-information_article_cast-lighting-fixture-extensions

David Gretzmier
04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
was picking up a breaker today for my welder at my shop and had an idea...another option for folks who already have paths installed or bought might be brass downrods for ceiling fans over in the electrical section of most big box stores. they come in several finishes, polished and grained brass, dark bronze, copper, in 1/2 " and 3/4",and from my inspection are made of brass and are heavy wall, already threaded male and male. come in 6 inch, 12 inch, 18 and 24 inch. 3 bucks to 10 bucks. with a simple bronze threaded adapter over in the gas fittings, this could work.

but full disclosure here, I have never done this.

RLI Electric
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
More likely than not they are steel with a painted surface. Brass threads holding a ceiling fan could be a bad thing due to the soft brass threads stripping out and then headache city. So if they are steel, could be a rust issue rapidly. Thousands of ceiling fan installs and I never checked to see if they were steel or not.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Or you could just purchase the CAST stems and be done with it. :)

David Gretzmier
04-20-2010, 02:27 AM
I noticed on Alan's website they have several stem extensions as well.

sprinklerchris
04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Vista makes one of the nicest adjustable stems on the market. It is tool-less and very well designed, can be ordered on any of their copper/brass path lights. CAST has just come out with accessory adjustable stems that look good but I have not seen or used these (yet). Nightscaping also has a few pathlights with adjustable stem heights, the Scott & Scout for sure.

Ditto on the Vista stem. Very nicely done. They can powder-coat the copper one if you want it on a painted fixture, although I prefer the copper pathlights myself.

RLI Electric
04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the input guys