PDA

View Full Version : Why are these still being spec'd

RLI Electric
04-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I just returned from vacation in Florida and while we were down there my wife and I took a tour of a new resort. It is still being built but I was amazed to find that they are still using line voltage fixtures in the landscape. Is there any reason that you can think of that these would still be spec'd with today's low voltage fixtures and their flexibility? I will post one of the fixtures that I saw. Hopefully it came out ok.

RLI Electric
04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Sorry for the quality of the shots. The first picture was at the place we were staying at. The place is about 25 years old and I was saying to my wife, look at what they used to use. I think they are trying to xray the tree. When we went to the new place, same fixtures and same crappy placement. I was floored. Is this because they don't know better? They were bragging on the tour that the landscaping was around 2 or 3 million dollars.

David Gretzmier
04-18-2010, 10:53 PM
easy- electrical contractors are held in higher regard than LV landscape lighting folks by architects. architects draw up the plans and spec line voltage and put it out to general contractors. general contractors get bids from electrical contractors who install the work at line voltage. LV guys never see 80-90% of the outdoor lighting that is installed that could be done with LV. what electrical contractor would turn down work?

"Hey Bob, I been looking over these plans, and rather than us using a master elctrician installing a 200 watt halogen fixture on these trees with conduit buried 14 inches deep, I think you ought to hire a LV guy who will install a few 20 or 35 watt uplights on each tree and make the tree look far better, with less glare, and less electricity and cost less money to boot. "

yeah right, like that is ever gonna happen.

sprinkler guy
04-19-2010, 01:14 AM
I just installed my portion of the outdoor lighting on a modern home in Manhattan Beach, the electrical contractor did his part a few weeks ago. He did (5) Kim Kighting Lightvaults, using 750 watts combined. I installed (18) uplights and underwater lights using 87 watts total (most LED), and my contract was almost the same as the EC's, price wise. The homeowner was pissed at the Architect for making him use the EC.

worx
04-19-2010, 08:32 AM
I see this all the time. I have tried for over a year now to get involved with a prominent architect in my area to stop this disgrace. We finally got together and he now has a renewed interest in lighting and a better understanding of what can can be accomplished with low voltage. I am hoping we can begin to change the way so many look at outdoor lighting in our area.