PDA

View Full Version : Merit.. water in or not??

heygrassman
06-30-2002, 12:51 PM
I am trying Merit for the first time. I bought Lesco Merit mixed with 24-5-11 50% slow release. I am going to try a split app. approach with this. 1 app this week and another in the 1st-2nd of Aug.

Should this be watered in?? The directions say nothing about watering in but I thought I read somewhere that merit should be watered in?? It does not look like we will see any rain for a week at least with a lot of HHH sun.

Thanks in advance.

jf

mlr164
06-30-2002, 01:45 PM
Heygrassman:

The label states, under the Application To Turfgrass section, 'optimum control will be achieved when applications are made prior to egg hatch of the target pest, followed by sufficient irrigation or rainfall to move the active ingredient through the thatch.'

Hope this helps.

1grnlwn
06-30-2002, 11:00 PM
Yes water it in. Why split applications? Just apply the full amount now and water or rain it in. It will still be there in September when you need it.

Mark

tremor
07-01-2002, 06:48 AM
No Grub control product will work until water has moved it into the rootzone.
Some are very unstable & therefore sensitive to sunlight. Dylox is a good example. 24 hours is the limit if the sun's shining.
Merit is very stable & may last for weeks without rain. But all molecules have their limits.
Mach2 is the premeir no water insecticide & can wait even longer.
But neither will work on Grubs at all if the active ingredient is hanging out on the surface whilst grubs safely feast on roots 1/2 inch south in the rootzone.

Lifted from the label:

"Optimum control will be achieved when applications are made prior to the egg hatch of the target pest, followed by sufficient irrigation or rainfall to move the active ingredient through the thatch."

This is from the second from the last paragraph in the "application to turgrass" section. The last paragraph also reference water.

Please see:

http://www.bluebooktor.com/Library/..\docs\label\L40283.PDF

Thanks,
Steve

lawnstudent
07-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Water it in! Use lots of water! Over 1 inch of water. It is difficult to move these insecticides throught the thatch layer and a dense fiberous root zone. Needs lots of water to accomplish this movement to the grub zone. Good luck.

jim