PDA

View Full Version : Keeping dandelions off my lawn?

zanemoseley
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
So my new lawn is doing well after a disasterous start last year, we renovated last Fall. My neighbor to the side of me in a rental house has thousands of dandelions in his yard, by far the most I've seen in one place. I want to prevent them coming over to my yard next year.

Is the best bet just putting down some Pre-M next Spring? I didn't put any down this year since I overseeded. I have TTTF.

JB1
04-19-2010, 06:27 PM
you might be money ahead if you just sprayed the neighbors yard.

zanemoseley
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Spray with what? Broadleaf weed control?

upidstay
04-20-2010, 08:30 AM
There is no effective preventative treatment for dandelions. Ask your neighbor if you can spray their lawn. Dandelions are fairly easy to kill. Go to John Deere Landscapes (used to be Lesco) and ask them what they recomend. You can find your nearest branch online at their site. Don't go to the Depot or Lowes.

GrassStitcher
04-20-2010, 09:27 AM
After you kill weeds, (you'll need to keep treating) focus on thickening your lawn in the fall. The best deterrent to weeds is a thick lawn - this will help to out compete weeds.

maustm
04-20-2010, 09:41 AM
When you put down weed n feed or a herbicide, spread a little wide on their side too, that might help keep them back.

cgaengineer
04-23-2010, 08:24 AM
you might be money ahead if you just sprayed the neighbors yard.

That's what I do. Costs me a few bucks and saves me several.