PDA

View Full Version : lawn mower, never changed oil

lmbgm
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I just got my hands on an 8yr old Craftsman walk-behind (917.388751) with a 6.5hp B&S motor (123K02-0181-E1).

The previous owner said that he never did an oil change before and only added oil when it got low. I can start it on the first pull, however the engine sounds like it is running slower than other mowers I have used. It seems to cut grass ok though. There is direct speed adjustment, the manual just says it is preset.

I plan to change the oil, put in fresh gas, and change the air filter and spark plug.

Is there anything else that would be recommended? Should I get some of those oil additives that claim to "clean" the engine? or try to clean out some other parts like the carb?
Or is there pretty much nothing I should do at this point?

Thanks.

MS_SURVEYOR
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Just change the oil and keep going. It doesn't have an oil pump, just an oil splasher or dipper to keep the engine lubed. As long as the rings and valve guides aren't sealing causing the plug to foul, or the engine to smoke, it'll be just fine. You'll need a tach to adjust the rpms. One thing you don't want to do is have some old chunk of baked on sludge loosen up and get between the rings and cylinder messing up the works. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

ms