PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt-Walker

fiveohpoepoe
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
If its not one thing its another. Mower is running very strong and I,m cutting grass. Well this evening, BLAM, the trans belt breaks:cry:. I need to get it done ASAP so I can keep on top of things and it looks like a real bear to put a new one on. Anyone have good info/instructions/possible diagram to follow? I searched briefly but came up empty. Its a 97 model 48" 25hp. Thanks in advance.

harleyman1381
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
oh brother...its not a bear at all...best thing to do....have a friend hold the idler pulley down (against the spring pressure) with a shovel handle, pipe, or other object while you snake the belt in place. Really not a big deal at all...should even be able to replace it on your own with a little elbow grease. YOU GOT THIS....NO BIG DEAL AT ALL oh yeah...release the small tensioner pulley from the engine to jackshaft belt (the thin V-Belt) by lowering the small lever behind the gas tank. This will allow you to rotate the belt easier by allowing the jackshaft pulley to rotate easier. THen reset the lever when your done. cake!

DT Lawn Care
04-20-2010, 12:29 AM
If its not one thing its another. Mower is running very strong and I,m cutting grass. Well this evening, BLAM, the trans belt breaks:cry:. I need to get it done ASAP so I can keep on top of things and it looks like a real bear to put a new one on. Anyone have good info/instructions/possible diagram to follow? I searched briefly but came up empty. Its a 97 model 48" 25hp. Thanks in advance.

Not familiar with Walkers, but I will tell you that the best way to put a new belt on a spring-tensioned belt is to take a tie-down strap and tighten the strap, makes things 100 times easier, slip the belt on and release the strap, you're good to go.

fiveohpoepoe
04-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Got both the trans/drive belt and blade belts changed, very easy as you guys stated. THANK YOU.

Next, how to adjust the steering/parking brake. When the drive lever is all the way back["neutral"] it still pulls forward slightly. When I set the parking brake, it wants to turn to the left[right side needs adjusting] I printed the owners manual off the Walker website, but I cant find the steps to adjust it.

ericg
04-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Fiveohpoepoe, right under the right and left side drive lever is an adjusting nut that you make your adjustments with. I usually take a box wrench and put it on the nut while the machine is stationary and adjust the nut a little at a time. The nut is actually moving the rod between the steering lever and the hydro to find neutral. Very simple and it will stop your right side movement while in neutral.

Eric