PDA

View Full Version : Next Steps after Aeration for poorly kept residential lawn??

upmm019
04-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I have a poorly kept yard I just finished a needed aeration on.

It has some really nice thick parts but then other areas there is barely any grass growing at all.

It also has the start of common crabgrass and dandelions.

Just wondering what the next best step is to jump start this lawn yet take care of the weeds too.

Lawn is located in SW Minnesota the poor part is the front yard which faces west with only a few shade trees. Not much of any thatch in the yard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

bigslick7878
04-20-2010, 12:08 AM

It has some really nice thick parts but then other areas there is barely any grass growing at all.

Just wondering what the next best step is to jump start this lawn yet take care of the weeds too.

Lawn is located in SW Minnesota the poor part is the front yard which faces west with only a few shade trees. Not much of any thatch in the yard.

Should have taken care of the weeds first but what is done is done I guess.

And there is no way you have any crabgrass this time of year in your part of the country, it is way too cold.

Need to spray a herbicide to kill all the weeds and then overseed, but the holes might be closed up by the time the weeds are gone. Not a big deal but you would have gotten better results if you could have overseeeded right after aeration.

upmm019
04-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Yep you are right, no signs of crabgrass yet but the years prior there was some.

right now just dandelions starting.

So the next best step is to overseed since the aeration is done and then spray herbicide for the weeds? Does that not kill the grass seed?

Should there be any sort of fertilizer put down too at the same time?

What is ideal grass to put down?

bigslick7878
04-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Yep you are right, no signs of crabgrass yet but the years prior there was some.

right now just dandelions starting.

So the next best step is to overseed since the aeration is done and then spray herbicide for the weeds? Does that not kill the grass seed?

Should there be any sort of fertilizer put down too at the same time?

What is ideal grass to put down?

Kill the weeds FIRST. Like now.

Might take 2 weeks or so depending on the temps to see any results.

Starter fertilizer when the seed goes down.

turfcobob
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM

If it were my lawn here in Nebraska, I would do this.

1.Aerate the lawn as much as you can stand, especially in the thin or dead grass areas

2. Let the cores dry a bit while I spread out the seed. (Better yet get a slicing seeder to tear up the cores and put down the seed at the same time)
Lacking a slicing seeder I would drag the area with a piece of chain link fence or a keystone drag mat to break up the cores and move the dirt and seed around.

3. Weeds will be a problem in the spring so I would use a Scotts new lawn or starter fertilizer with weed control. Costly but good stuff and I only want to do this one time if possible.

4. Water and nurture my new lawn as needed by temps, wind and other conditions provided by mother nature.

turfcobob