PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Mulching Mower?

willne1
06-30-2002, 06:49 PM
I have an old 8 year MTD that is a dedicated mulcher, you couldn't put a bag on it if you wanted to. Are mowers like this still available and if so do they do a better job of mulching than something like a 3in1 mower? If I had a bag I would very rarely use it. I want a mower that does a good job of mulching and is self propelled. What would you guys suggest? My lawn is not that big a 21" is plenty.

TIA

rkbrown
07-02-2002, 08:37 AM
The Toro recycler has gotten excellent reviews as a consumer level mulching mower. If you are looking at going for commercial quality, I would look at an Exmark Metro 21. It is the same mower as the Toro commercial and around here it runs about $75-100 less than the Toro.

keifer
07-11-2002, 07:17 AM
I would say the honda 216 with double blades it does have a bagger but just hang it in the shed.

TheGrassGuy
08-18-2002, 12:44 PM
I have a Honda 216. One month old and I am getting rid of it as soon as possible. Great if you want to bag all the time but if on a well maintained lawn does a poor job of mulching. Too low on the highest setting and I think underpowered. Leaves trails of grass behind and can only operate at the slowest speed or will miss grass. I mow every 4 days and still have this problem. Going back to the dealer tomorrow. Hope to look at a Toro Recycler or Super Recycler then.

Any comments on the Toros?

65hoss
08-19-2002, 06:09 AM
See if you can demo an eXmark 21". The mulching ability of their bigger mowers is second to none. So they might do extremely well also. I've never seen one in action so I don't know.

rkbrown
08-19-2002, 10:23 AM
The exmark 21 is essentially the same thing as the Toro Proline 21 (except I heard that it does not have the baffles under the deck...and I don't know if this would make any difference). I picked up 2 Toro Proline 21's with the 2-cycle Suzuki engines from another lco a few weeks ago for $100 a piece. This guy just likes to change out his trim mowers every 2 years. They have been WELL used. I bought new wheels and rebuilt the height assemblies on one and it mows and mulches great !! I thought my snapper with a gator was the mulching king until I got ahold of these. :D