PDA

View Full Version : Which Tanaka trimmer/brush cutter best?

frankmor
04-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Have had Tanakas before, and like them. Am shopping for the best model to handle long driveway sides(mostly hay), and pretty extensive brush work on my farm property(mostly raspberry bushes and less than 2" brush and sapling growths from stumps). I have looked at the TBC-2510 with the high torque head, but wonder if the 24cc engine can handle the job. I definately would like to say away from the two handed handles, because I have to get into some pretty tight spots. Thanks for any feed back.

Aaronnc
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
I have no experience whatsoever with the TBC-2510, so I cannot honestly comment on that one. But LOVE my TBC-2080PF. When I was in the process of buying mine, it came down to the Tanaka and a Redmax. (Can't remember the Redmax model number.) The Redmax was just a hair lighter but $50 more. I do trimming and brushcutting with my 2080 and it has never missed a beat and plenty of power. Pretty light for a bigger model, solid Steel everything, Walbro Carb, and 7 year consumer warranty. Unless you need local support and/or loyal to a dealer, I'd recommend www.wisesales.com They sponsor this site, and is on sale for $349.99 with no tax, and free shipping. Plus they are sending you a $40 pre-paid Visa via mail-in rebate. (We all know how those can be, but sweet nevertheless.) I'd recommend picking up some Tanaka Green Monster line and the Blade Conversion Kit # 748504 ($50) for brushcutting and you'll be set. I also heard rumors that Oregon/Shindy are now finally making adapters for the speed feed head to fit Tanaka but do not know if that is true or not. I've never had an issue with Tanaka's regular bump head and like it, but I know some guys swear by the speed feed.

Hope this helps.

frankmor
04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the help. I decided to order the TBC 340pf(it was only one pound heavier than the 280 and gives me 32cc to work with). The price at Wise was at least $100 less than any that I could get here in upper New England. Thanks again for your input.

Aaronnc
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Ahhhh. Super Nice! Congrats!! Sure you will love it. I know I do mine. I so looked at the 340 too and seriously thought about it, but the weight and $40 gift card won me over. (Which I finally sent off for, we'll see how long.) I haven't added it yet, but I did buy a can seafoam for mine. I heard alot of guys say these new emission engines regardless of make are finicky if you have ethanol in your gas. You might want to take a look at it. Congrats again, and keep us updated!