PDA

View Full Version : Transaxle Oil Change

morgaj1
04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I am trying to change the oil in the Hydro Gear ZT3400 transaxle. I understand to take off the filter and the drain plug. But, what the manual shows as a plug is the fitting/hose for the overflow tanks. Is this fitting what I remove? Also, it says to refill the oil through that plug. How do I do this since it is coming out of the side of the transaxle, not the top? Would it be possible to fill the overflow tanks and allow it to drain in?

morgaj1
04-20-2010, 03:49 PM
OK, just got off the phone with Gravely tech support. The hose fitting is what should be removed. Now if someone could just tell me how to refill it. My gut says to just hook the overflow hose back on and fill from there.

Restrorob
04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Follow your gut.....

ed2hess
04-21-2010, 11:07 PM
If this tranaxle is the same as the Snapper Pro you can fill it from the top but it will take forever. Snapper says to leave that plug out in the top of the transaxle and apparently it will let air out and fill faster. Obviously at some point you will have to put the plug back in. I couldn't get that plug out and it took 4 days to fill from top...lucky I was in no hurry.

morgaj1
04-21-2010, 11:55 PM
If this tranaxle is the same as the Snapper Pro you can fill it from the top but it will take forever. Snapper says to leave that plug out in the top of the transaxle and apparently it will let air out and fill faster. Obviously at some point you will have to put the plug back in. I couldn't get that plug out and it took 4 days to fill from top...lucky I was in no hurry.

Ed, where are you supposed to fill it from then?

ed2hess
04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Ed, where are you supposed to fill it from then?

The literature says fill from those overflow cups...and it says to leave that plug out in top of the transaxle. Apparently oil wont come out of it until it is near full and it lets air escape. I jacked up the machine and turned the wheels some by hand and it helped the flow in a little. I was tempted to fire up the machine but was a little afraid of what that may cause.

morgaj1
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
The literature says fill from those overflow cups...and it says to leave that plug out in top of the transaxle. Apparently oil wont come out of it until it is near full and it lets air escape. I jacked up the machine and turned the wheels some by hand and it helped the flow in a little. I was tempted to fire up the machine but was a little afraid of what that may cause.

Problem is, there is no plug. Where the literature say the plug is, is where the fitting that goees to the overflow cup is. I guess if it goes too slowly with the cups, I can use a funnel with a flexible hose. I will try to do this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info ed.

morgaj1
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, I dove in and finished the transaxle oil change today. As it turns out, there is a brass plug on top of the transaxle that the manual doesn't mention. I just used this to vent and refill with. Worked great. I would recommend patience to anyone trying this. Alot like bleeding brakes, it takes time. After I initially refilled and drove the machine, the left transaxle was loud and would not go as fast. So, i cracked the plug open, bled the air, and added a little oil. Now, works like a champ.

I know it seems premature to change it at the first engine service, but I wanted to get synthetic in there. These 100 degree Alabama summers are rough on equipment...