PDA

View Full Version : Timbrens or Airbags

CTmower
04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Well after picking up my first 5 yards of mulch this season I realized my F250 needs a little help carrying that weight. The guy at the yard said he uses airbags on all his trucks and says they work great. I was looking into getting timbrens until I heard him talk highly about the airbags. He liked being able to adjust the setting to how much weight you were carrying. Both the timbrens and airbags are gonna run me about the same, $220 or so, so price doesnt matter. What is everyones opinion??

Z-master man
04-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd get airbags, like he said you can adjust them... So if your empty and just driving around you can dump the air. I plan on putting them on my parents 09 GMC 2500HD when I start driving.

seabee1
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
air bag's are nice but they require maintenance ,you have to have a minimum amount of air in them at all time's or you can ruin them .having a onboard compressor is nice but together adds up $ .timbrens you bolt them on and forget them no maintenance .:)

STIHL GUY
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
i plan on adding air bags to my 2500HD someday. i have steel helper springs on the ranger and they make the ride a lot stiffer

seabee1
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
yeah steel helper springs are generally stiffer ,your riding on them all the time and noisy .air bag's ride better with a load timbren are no maintenance only come into play when the load comes on .

STIHL GUY
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
After checking out the timbren website i will now be getting some of those instead of airbags. Does anybody know where i can find prices for these??

GravelyGuy
04-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I've tryed Timbrens and air bags. The Timbrens allow way too much sag IMO. It depends how much weight your dealing with. The air bags are more of a pain to deal with.

Uranus
04-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Don't do the timbrens. I have them on my F 250. Long story short, after 3 years of towing a trailer and hauling mulch/loam I broke 3 out of the 5 springs on the left rear. I upgraded from the 3000 lb springs to 4400 lb spring and there is no sag at all with my trailer and a full load of grass in the dump insert. Now I have 7 springs instead of the 5 that come stock.

CTmower
04-23-2010, 01:13 PM
At first I was leaning towards the Timbrens but I think Im going to purchase the Firestone airbags. Their site says you have to keep a minimum of 5psi in them at all times which is no biggy. I usually only put a heavy load on my truck during spring and fall cleanups so being able to adjust the amount of pressure is what is selling me so far. Having a dump insert means theres always a load being put on my suspension so having the airbags to help that minimum load is a plus as well.

poolboy
04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I had helper springs on another truck and absolutely hated the ride when the bed was empty. About a year ago, I had the AirLift 5000 bags with wireless remote installed on my new truck. It's great being able to adjust the amount of air the I need with the push of a button. The only nuisance with this system is when the manifold adjusts the air, you hear a vibration when the compressor makes the adjustment...and this is with a custom made mount so that the compressor isn't setting on the frame...i could only imagine how much more noise it would make.