PDA

View Full Version : Replace Weeds with Grass

Pistol
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I have been asked to quote reseeding a backyard. Pretty straight forward (one would think) except when I got to the property the entire backyard was weeds - not 1 blade of grass. Chickweed everywhere, other weeds 2 foot high. This is what I'm thinking:

1) round-up everything - let it sit for maybe 2 weeks (to kill the seeds :confused:)

2) rake everything out

3) wait another 2 weeks - round-up again

4) Rake / clean out again

5) aerate & slitseed / lime & Fert.

Doing it like this, I'll probably get killed on price by someone coming in 1 app. of round up and aerating and throwing out seed, but I like to do things right.

Any thoughts / advice / ideas?

Pistol
04-20-2010, 04:00 PM
here are a few pics of the yard

RigglePLC
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Mow it, Roundup, after 7days, mow again as short as you can. Remove residue, but only if necessary. Add irrigation. Slit seed immediately. Starter fert. Fert with weed control at 4 weeks and 8 weeks. Get rid of that Scotts spreader on deck.

Pistol
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Riggle - why mow first- wouldn't you want the round-up to contact as much leaf surface as possible?

bigslick7878
04-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Riggle - why mow first- wouldn't you want the round-up to contact as much leaf surface as possible?

More leaf surface=more round up needed.

Chop it all down, rake it and bag it up, spray it a few time and then proceeed to the next step.

It is going to take a few sprays to kill all that I can almost guarantee it. Talk about a mess.

socallawndude
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Use a bunch of surfactant too, thats what really makes roundup work

Pistol
04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Dude,
if I'm using a 4 gal BP sprayer, how much Palmolive should I use? I was just reading that a lot of guys use dish soap, but they didn't list an amount.

Thanks for your help,
Pistol

RigglePLC
04-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Use about a tablespoon detergent per gallon. But in larger sprayers you may have a foaming problem.

Pistol
04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Riggle - I'm a michigan native, but been gone 25 years - still got a sister in Greenville and parents & brother in Lansing. MSU Spartan "84" graduate. You always post good info.

Would you use dish soap (plain old palmolive is what I have) or is there a specific surfactant that you use with glyphosate?

Great memories of the Grand Haven / Holland beaches. Took my wife to Harbor Springs several years ago and she said we needed to buy a retirement home there - i need more yards to buy something in Harbor Springs - especially on the beach - many more -HA!