PDA

View Full Version : Should I fertilize?

zanemoseley
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
So I'm not sure what to do. I have a 1.5 acre sloped lot that we just got a good stand of TTTF last fall, we used about 10-15% annual rye in the back and side yard (not about 1/2 or more of front yard) to get a foothold quickly as I've had bad washing the year before so I will have some die out when it gets really warm.

I aerated, over seeded and fertilized in mid March, not the best time to over seed TTTF but I am trying to get all the grass I can to make it through the summer. I put out about 1/2# N of 15/20/10 starter.

I had bought about another 1/2# N of 12/6/6 slow release that I was going to put down in Mid April but we've had a dry streak this Spring. I've been doing some light watering to help germinate the seed. I've started trying water small portions of the yard but go deeper. Its hard though as I only have a rotary sprinkler and so much acreage. I am getting a bit of browning now (worse in the back yard), I'm not sure if its the rye dying out or drought stress already, kinda just popped up this last week, the below pictures are only a week or so old.

So should I fertilize before the rain we're getting this weekend or wait till fall? I know fertilizing TTTF later in the spring can lead to brown patch but I kind of think the immediate health of my grass is key as I'm on a slope and want the healthiest grass going into the summer as I can get.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/zanemoseley/CutYard.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/zanemoseley/Backyard.jpg

CincyWolf
04-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I suggest you go ahead and hit it again this week since it is raining. It is slow release so should be safe and the nitrogen will help the new grass get a foothold before it gets hot.

zanemoseley
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Ok I threw out the 200lb of 12/6/6 and the chances of rain keep going up so it looks good. I just wish we had a wetter spring, last year we had TONS of rain.

avguy
04-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Ok I threw out the 200lb of 12/6/6 and the chances of rain keep going up so it looks good. I just wish we had a wetter spring, last year we had TONS of rain.

I couldn't believe the dry spell we had already either. When I heard it was going to rain yesterday I ran down to the Lesco & bought some 19-0-6 & put it on the area I renovated last fall. Wasn't supposed to put it down until May but I'm going to be slammed at work for the next 3 weeks & was afraid I wouldn't have time to get it down.

When you got your soil sample analyzed did the extension office not give you a fertilizing schedule?

zanemoseley
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
They did but it wasn't all that great. I found a better fertilizer guide on the TN ext web site. Typically I see recommendations for fertilizing TTTF in mid March but a lot of places don't have N apps again until late September. I am really trying to get all the growth I can as my slope needs to keep ground cover this summer, last year was an epic mess.