PDA

View Full Version : 6.7 Powerstroke and Cummins

Cuttinitclose
04-20-2010, 10:41 PM
I was in Peoria yesterday and saw a new 6.7 on the lot so I stopped and looked at it for giggles. Salesman come out (of course) and offers to start it for me. Of course I say sure. (Its really quiet. We get to talking and...
He says " this should be a really good motor, similar to a Cummins."
Me " really? who makes the Cummins"
Salesman " Ford"
Me "Really"
Him " Absolutley"

Believe me or not but thats what I heard. Ive never heard that they made Cummins diesels before. Anyone else heard or knew that?

unkownfl
04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
LoL is this a serious question? Ford uses cummins engines but ford owns Volvo.

Cuttinitclose
04-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh well I didnt know that. So volvo makes the cummins? What does Ford put them in? Im not into diesels that much.

Hoss27
04-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow. Usually its "ya' know furd makes cummings" It all stems from back in the day when Ford owned a small portion of Cummins. They had absolutely zero to do with how they operated, and certainly never made anything with the cummins name on it. I wish they could get the cummins in a light duty Ford.

Cuttinitclose
04-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Oh ok I see.

Hoss27
04-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Oh well I didnt know that. So volvo makes the cummins? What does Ford put them in? Im not into diesels that much.

No. Cummins makes Cummins. Ford has never built their own diesel until recently, the 6.7 Scorpion. The only way to get a Cummins in a Ford from the factory is to get a medium duty or bigger truck.

pitrack
04-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Salesmen can be so stupid sometimes.

nepatsfan
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
No. Cummins makes Cummins. Ford has never built their own diesel until recently, the 6.7 Scorpion. The only way to get a Cummins in a Ford from the factory is to get a medium duty or bigger truck.

Before that fords diesels were made by international. Ford owned 10% of cummins a long time ago like someone else said but no longer has any interest in cummins
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Ford_Motor_Company_own_Cummins_Inc

unkownfl
04-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Ford has made there own diesels before this new 6.7. I did not say cummins makes volvo I said Ford owns Volvo. Cummins is different from Ford all together.

TXNSLighting
04-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I was in Peoria yesterday and saw a new 6.7 on the lot so I stopped and looked at it for giggles. Salesman come out (of course) and offers to start it for me. Of course I say sure. (Its really quiet. We get to talking and...
He says " this should be a really good motor, similar to a Cummins."
Me " really? who makes the Cummins"
Salesman " Ford"
Me "Really"
Him " Absolutley"

Believe me or not but thats what I heard. Ive never heard that they made Cummins diesels before. Anyone else heard or knew that?

The salesmans a idiot...Its completely false. Ford has nothing to do with Cummins, Cummins just supplies engines for Fords 650's and 750's...Stupid people...

Gravel Rat
04-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Cummins is a stand alone company that is seeing a big reduction in engine sales with one of the largest truck manufactures ie Freightliner is using Mercedes engines. International is building their own class 8 engines.

Ford has been building diesel engines in Britian for years.

unkownfl
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Ford also uses Cummins in their light duty trucks in different countries I believe but I know this doesn't help here unless you drive back from Brazil or maybe Mexico.

360ci
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
HA, sales ppl.

Sounds like the guy who tried to sell me a 1100lb hitch weight 5th wheel to pull with my Durango SUV. I never imagined myself walking out of a place so fast before that day....

Mikes lawn care
04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Ford used to hold the blue prints to cummins but then they sold it all to cummins.

JS&L
04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
yep ford uses cummins in the light duty's in south america. saw em at the ford training center in michigan.

nepatsfan
04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
yep ford uses cummins in the light duty's in south america. saw em at the ford training center in michigan.

Any way to get these trucks? I am a ford man but I'm not interested in the 6.4 grenades they put out from 2008-2010 and I dont want to take any chances with the new scorpion diesel. I have 2 6.0 dumps that have been great and a gas pick up with the 5.4 and I need a new pick up and I want a diesel. I may just go with another gas pick up unless I can get the ford with the cummins. :dizzy:

Gravel Rat
04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
I think those Cummins powered Fords are 4 cylinder and right hand drive. They don't meet the emmission regulations in North America.

unkownfl
04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Sick and tired of the epa. If they really want to make a difference why don't we just have nuke power plants. Plus never mind how much that volcano polluted maybe the epa can cite Iceland.

nepatsfan
04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I think those Cummins powered Fords are 4 cylinder and right hand drive. They don't meet the emmission regulations in North America.

I didnt really think about that. I guess that wouldn't work. I guess I have to get an 07 6.0 with low miles or a gasser.

unkownfl
04-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I didnt really think about that. I guess that wouldn't work. I guess I have to get an 07 6.0 with low miles or a gasser.

Just buy a heavy truck and get a Cat or Cummins (Cat is a Dog)

nepatsfan
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Just buy a heavy truck and get a Cat or Cummins (Cat is a Dog)

LOL...I need a pick up for me to drive around in and do estimates, go to the store and what not. Extended cab short bed loaded with leather. I will use it to plow but other than that it wont get worked very much. It will probably have a tonneaou cover on it. I have thought about buying an L8000 or something but we really don't do enough heavy work. Most we do are patios and retaining walls and the 1 tons work ok. Was thinking about getting a backhoe for some jobs where the mini and skid steer are kind of undersized but until then I will stick with the one tons. Most of the hardscape work we do is residential so I really dont need a big truck although there are plenty of times it would have made life easier.

JS&L
05-01-2010, 01:07 AM
the cummins was in a ranger size rh drive vehical and there is as i know no way to get it in n.a. thank luck yah had good luck with the 6.0's you're one of the lucky ones... i bought a ranger 6 cyl 2wd 5sp for estimates... 25 mpg+