PDA

View Full Version : Wright Sentar 52" ?'s

jhall2
04-21-2010, 01:35 AM
I'm hoping to get a response from the Wright representative on a few things. I am purchasing a used Sentar tomorrow, its the 52" 23 hp kaw model with around 600 hours on it. I have a few concerns though. I have read that there were a lot of issues with the earlier models (I'm not sure if this one fits in that group, serial number is 15762, model number se5223kawe and I believe its a 2001)and I wanted to know what they were, can they be fixed, and if mine is one of those units, will Wright or one of your dealers cover the cost? Also, I was told the idler pulley needs to be replaced on this particular unit, is there a way to obtain literature on maintenance and repairs of these units? I downloaded the parts list, but I'm more interested in a "how to" sort of thing and also regarding the parts list, it's a little confusing as far as spindles and the pulley are concerned. Did Wright produce upgraded or newer versions of these parts?

WrightCommercial
04-21-2010, 04:16 PM
jhall2

This unit was built 7/17/01. We have not recieved any warranty claims on the mower which indicates the upgrades have not been performed. All costs will be your responsiblily as this unit is used and many years out of warranty. We no longer carry allot of parts for that mower.
The new Sentars are entirely new beasts, they have been bullet proof but many people think its the same as the older versions. There is no telling if the unit has 600 hrs of hill use, this could lead to hydro problems.
You could get a dealer to look it over, they could pressure test the pumps, give the thumbs up and it could still blow the engine. Its tough to call without seeing, or using the Sentar.
Take a look at our new Sentars or the ZK.
Good luck

jhall2
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
So, should I not purchase the unit? I am purchasing it from a homeowner and they took care of it. I only cut part time and wont use it too much.

WrightCommercial
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
How much? Since it was used for homeowner use it might be ok. Getting original parts may be difficult to get. With a little mechanical knowhow you could make other parts work. Check it over good, run it until it gets hot and check the engine oil.
This may work great for you.

jhall2
04-21-2010, 06:24 PM
$2200. I will call you in the morning and get more info on the issues I may face and the dollar amounts attached to them. I would greatly appreciate your time considering I'm supposed to go get it tomorrow night. If the homeowner was never made aware of the issues, is there a way that we can work out some sort of deal for repairs? I am going to go check out the unit tonight and fill her in on the issues and see if she even knew anything about it. Again, i would greatly appreciate your time in the morning.

jhall2
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I went and looked at the mower tonight. There was a cooling system installed on it, if this is one of the potential issues. Were there any others? Are there any preventative measures I can take now to help insure long life and performance?

WrightCommercial
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
It should have the cooler on it. Cant work any deal on repairs. Bring it in to an authorized Wright dealer and have them look it over. $2200.00 seems a bit high for an 01.

jhall2
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I ended up getting it for 1900. It seems to be an all around great mower with one exception...it seems to be kind of slow. I read all about how fast these were before I bought it. Is there anything to do about this? also, I am not sure if its because im new to the mower, but I cannot cut a straight line to save my life. Any advice?

Toro 44
04-23-2010, 11:32 PM
My guess is its because you are new to the mower:)
I've been there too.
You will get the hang of it. Congrats on the new mower.

WrightCommercial
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
jhall2,

Can't remember when we talked if we touched on the pump clamps, these attach the pump hoop to the input shaft on the left side of each pump. On the older units over time the shaft will eggout the clamp causing the mower to seem to have a loss of ground speed. While looking at the clamp reach up and move the control lever and see if the clamp is moving before the shaft starts to move, if so you can try and tighten the clamp. When you are looking at the clamp there will be two Allen head bolts, one attaching the hoop and shaft and one for tightening the clamp. Tighten the clamp as much as you can if it is still moving before the shaft you can replace the clamps with the cast replacement pieces which have the same part number as the originals. The mower may need a slight reset of the steering if the previous owner made adjustments trying to deal with the clamps.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.

jhall2
04-28-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will check that out. Thanks again to all the folks at Wright!

grassman177
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
jhall2,

Can't remember when we talked if we touched on the pump clamps, these attach the pump hoop to the input shaft on the left side of each pump. On the older units over time the shaft will eggout the clamp causing the mower to seem to have a loss of ground speed. While looking at the clamp reach up and move the control lever and see if the clamp is moving before the shaft starts to move, if so you can try and tighten the clamp. When you are looking at the clamp there will be two Allen head bolts, one attaching the hoop and shaft and one for tightening the clamp. Tighten the clamp as much as you can if it is still moving before the shaft you can replace the clamps with the cast replacement pieces which have the same part number as the originals. The mower may need a slight reset of the steering if the previous owner made adjustments trying to deal with the clamps.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.
that was one of the issues on our sentars. we had several of them, but were problematic enough for us to scrap them and move elsewhere. they were the first run of them. others things where the hydros and the engine air filters collecting blowout from the deck and clogging very quickly. they were the oringinal air filters and NOT the air filter canisters which did solve the problem.

notes, great machine on performance, loved that. we still have 5 standers we love to death, and lastly the new sentars are better from discussions with Wright and looking at them.