PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Goodyear

South Florida Lawns
04-21-2010, 01:10 AM
So I put a CrapYear marathon tire on the back of my trailer (other 3 are bias ply) and less than 5k miles later the tread is chunking and I can see the steel belt. I'm not overloaded ever just towing mowers.

Tomorrow I'm buying LT truck tires for the thing and hopefully be done with it for a while. I go through a set of ST trailer tires every 6 months.:cry:

360ci
04-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I think trailer tires are more of a money grab. I use standard passenger radials on my Trailer, they last me ten years and I use the trailer a few nights a week for a solid 6 months of the year. For heavier loads on a tandem trailer, I'd go with a good set of LT tires.

I know with my old 27' TT, the tires were standard trailer tires, but I'd be lucky to get more than 10K out of a set. The problem was with tight turns, they'd keel over and the sidewalls would get torn. OEM trailer tires didn't even last 10K, but they did wear even on the highway so I'll give them some credit there. That's all they're meant for (I think) is strictly highway driving and load capacity.

When laden, my lil' landscaper pulls smoother on the P rated tires, and I'm still well under weight. Axle rating is 3500lbs, and I've never gone over 3K due to the small size. Tires are P21570R15 which are rated for 1653lbs per tire at max pressure, or 3306lbs, which suits the trailer weight fine for what I use it for. LT tires weigh more but I was looking at a set for not that much more money. On any given day I'm lucky to go over 1K payload, 2K max.

Horsepower Lawns
04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
I go through a set of ST trailer tires every 6 months.:cry:

Your axle is bent. Replace it and the tires will last for years.

CLARK LAWN
04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
So I put a CrapYear marathon tire on the back of my trailer (other 3 are bias ply) and less than 5k miles later the tread is chunking and I can see the steel belt. I'm not overloaded ever just towing mowers.

Tomorrow I'm buying LT truck tires for the thing and hopefully be done with it for a while. I go through a set of ST trailer tires every 6 months.:cry:

your issue is not the tires. my tires on my tandem trailer are alomost 2 years old now probably 12-15K on them and they are still over half tread life on them. i rotate them every spring.

i see you have an enclosed trailer. you might want to check how much you really weigh with everything in the trailer. you might be surprised. alot of enclosed trailers dont have a very high payload.

CLARK LAWN
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM
well did you check your axle yet?

South Florida Lawns
05-29-2010, 09:59 PM
It ain't bent buddy thats for sure, and for weight well I got a small Z a stander trimmers edgers blowers and 2 ladders.

Trailer weighs 2200 empty on the scale. The Z weighs 1000 stander 650 and all the other stuff 200 at most so 4050lbs on the axles.

I rotate tires every other oil change on the truck.

I bought cheap Triangle LT truck tires we'll see how they last.

Horsepower Lawns
05-30-2010, 08:10 AM
It could still be bent. If you hit a curb just right they can bend or someone could have hit you in a parking lot & you would never know.

Is it the inside or outside that is commong apart?

topsites
05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Bzzzt....

You don't mix radials and bias, use one or the other all around but never both or
some of each, end of that discussion.

You want to save money there exist a lot of ways to do that but don't play with tires.

Now you want tires that last then get a quality tire, but maybe I better say get quality tireSSSs all around
so go to a trailer place and let them recommend you a good one, it's probably going to cost you somewhere
in excess of $100 each but I'm into my 3rd set of tires and going 9 years on mine.

Yes, the first set that came with my trailer were biases and they lasted hardly the season,
my next set were class C radials and I would have got another year out of them but one of
them caught a nail in the sidewall, at that point I replaced the set so now I'm on the third or
fourth year of my third set and most likely by end of season I'll need new ones.
So I get 3-4 years out of them, I put roughly 8 or 9 thousand miles a year on them, I guess I get 25-30k miles a set.
Guess what, mine cost $100+ each and likely I'll get more of the same, because it's cheaper to have it done right.

Granted I can't guarantee that 100%, but as a general rule it costs more to be cheap in the long run.

lakertaker2003
06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah go with Good Year radial or something over $100. Just the cost of doing business.