PDA

View Full Version : miraclegro for lawn using Ortho Dial N Spray?

rainbowss
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I have 10lbs of all purpose miraclegro and I haven't fertilized the lawn this year. One can really tell because it is growing very slowly. Only grew like 1/2 - 1inch this year and growing season is almost over.

I know miraclegro has those gardern feeders but I think that uses 1lb per 500sq ft but that is too much feeding/expensive and you cannot control the amount of feeding.

So, does anyone use Ortho Dial N Spray? If so, what quantity do you use and how often? Keep in mind that I have not fertilized this year, how much do you think I should start off with? I prefer liquid because I don't like granluar, I used it before and takes too much time.

Also, I was planning to use Weeb b Gon hose end spray on my entire lawn this Friday to get rid of those clovers that caught fire over my lawn. How long should I wait until applying fertilizer?

I live in NY, my lawn size is about 4000sqft. Thanks.

upidstay
04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
I would not use either of the products you mentioned.

Fertilizer: Using a liquid fertilizer on turf requires properly calibrated equipment and a trained applicator. Not sure if you have a turf fertilization background or not, but I doubt if your garden hose is properly calibrated.

Herbicide: Same reason as the fertilizer. Plus, you are putting down a very dilute form of the Weed B Gone, leaving just the root uptake chemical to do its job, and there just isn;t enough in the weed b gone to be effective. It's just a bad way to use a mediocre product. I have NEVER seen anybody have good results with that type of application.

I would go with a granular fertilizer. Your lawn is small, so organics are a good option for you. (they're $$ to use on a large lawn). As far as the clover goes, I like Lesco Eliminate D, available at John Deere Landscapes. The Ortho weed b gone conentrate is a decent product, as long as it's applied with a pump sprayer, not the kind that goes on the end of a garden hose. Buy a good hand can pump sprayer, follow the directions on the bottle.

rainbowss
04-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Are you sure about the weed-b-gon hose end sprayer? Most of the reviews(>80%) were positive results. Currently on the bottle it states that it covers 16,000sqft but in reality, that is only for southern grasses. For northern grasses, it only covers half that area. So maybe this is why some are failing to see results. If there is any left over, is it okay to spray it again a week after?

About the "properly calibrated equipment", I think Ortho Dial N Spray could do that job because you can control how much it puts out with each gallon of water or something along those lines.

But generally, how long should I wait between liquid herbicide and fertilizer? In the weed-b-gon bottle, it states I can reseed after 3 weeks, so I guess fertilizing after 1 or 2 weeks should be fine?

thanks for your reply. There doesn't seem to be much traffic in this section of the site. Was glad I got at least one reply. hehe :)

Think Green
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
A lawn that small.....you can get away with the dial N spray device. Depending on what type of grass you have, miracle grow will advise so much per feeding or basically, 2 times a month and water. Fast release high saline fertilizers like these will leach out quickly. Just make sure you add plenty of water with the stuff.
If you temps are still cooler up there, weed b gone will take longer to work. I won't get into much more info. because I don't use the stuff.

rainbowss
04-21-2010, 11:27 PM
A lawn that small.....you can get away with the dial N spray device. Depending on what type of grass you have, miracle grow will advise so much per feeding or basically, 2 times a month and water. Fast release high saline fertilizers like these will leach out quickly. Just make sure you add plenty of water with the stuff.
If you temps are still cooler up there, weed b gone will take longer to work. I won't get into much more info. because I don't use the stuff.
By saying 'add plenty of water with the stuff' do you mean to dilute or watering the lawn after fertilizing?

Anyhow, the common miraclegro mixing formula for plants is 1tbsp per gallon. So, I will use 2 scoops(3tbsp) and fill the Dial N Spray with water until 32oz while setting the recommended output(for water-soluble fertilizers) of 4oz of solution per gallon. This should amount to approximately 3tbsp per 8 gallon or 1tsp of miraclegro per gallon which is a safe dilute I think. Since Ortho Dial N Spray dispenses 2 gallons per minute, I should get about 4minutes from this entire solution. I think this should be good for weekly/bi-weekly fertilizing.

What do you think? :waving:

cgaengineer
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Are you sure about the weed-b-gon hose end sprayer? Most of the reviews(>80%) were positive results. Currently on the bottle it states that it covers 16,000sqft but in reality, that is only for southern grasses. For northern grasses, it only covers half that area. So maybe this is why some are failing to see results. If there is any left over, is it okay to spray it again a week after?

About the "properly calibrated equipment", I think Ortho Dial N Spray could do that job because you can control how much it puts out with each gallon of water or something along those lines.

But generally, how long should I wait between liquid herbicide and fertilizer? In the weed-b-gon bottle, it states I can reseed after 3 weeks, so I guess fertilizing after 1 or 2 weeks should be fine?

thanks for your reply. There doesn't seem to be much traffic in this section of the site. Was glad I got at least one reply. hehe :)

They are not the most accurate sprayers because everyone's GPM at the faucet is different so it would be hard to make a device that is calibrated for everyone. The poster that said use plenty of water says that because even if you have high or low GPM you will still be putting out X amount of product so if you water deeply after application the chances of burning your lawn will be minimal.

Seriously you could put down a slow release granular in about 5 minutes on that sized lawn and would not have to worry about walking around dragging a hose. Depending on which product you buy you may have enough to fertilize 4 times out of a 15K bag of fertilizer...1 bag of 15K fert is about $25 at your local Home Depot, so thats $6.25 per application...doubtful you could apply a liquid much cheaper than that or more accurate.

cgaengineer
04-23-2010, 11:10 AM
delete this reply...its a duplicate