PDA

View Full Version : Lowering price per yard for bigger quanity mulch jobs?

Swordfish3081
04-21-2010, 02:55 PM
hey everybody, I need some advice. I have a mulch job that I have to put an estimate in on for a business owner that I have already done some work for this year. It is going to be about 35 yds. of mulch. For jobs like this should I price like I always do or cut him a break, and if so how much?

Thanks

MarcSmith
04-21-2010, 04:24 PM
are you getting a price break from the mulch supplier? I always liked passing savings on to my clients that I could get. Are you going to be bidding against others? Will the customer balk at the price. how much of a discount are you thinking....Is the job going to be really efficient, IE easy to put down, or a real PITA with a lot wheelbarrow humping....

Swordfish3081
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
its pretty easy to put down and efficient. No I am not getting any additional price break from my mulch supplier. I think he will probably get a few bids. I was going to price them at $65 a yard, which is a really good price around here. Most charge $75 or $85 a yard. I thought about cutting $5 or $10 of the price per yard to make sure I get the job. theres are 5 properties total i am bidding on. The one we are talking about is about 35yds. The other 4 make up about 20 to 25 combined. Does that help.

MarcSmith
04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
ultimately its your call, how bad to want/need the work to ensure that you get it.

of course you go to low, and shoot yourself in the foot for future job profitably as they will begin to expect low pricing on everything

If it was a regular customer I drop the price a smidge,

I'd probably end up getting the mulch dropped at the site and then work from the pile so I don't have to drive back and forth with the truck to the mulch place. burning fuel and road time. If you are confident in you $65 that you'd get the bid, which sets you up as the "value" player for this customer. And if you can back up that value with quality, then its a win...

I know I did not really answer your question...sorry...

hackitdown
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
its pretty easy to put down and efficient. No I am not getting any additional price break from my mulch supplier. I think he will probably get a few bids. I was going to price them at $65 a yard, which is a really good price around here. Most charge $75 or $85 a yard. I thought about cutting $5 or $10 of the price per yard to make sure I get the job. theres are 5 properties total i am bidding on. The one we are talking about is about 35yds. The other 4 make up about 20 to 25 combined. Does that help.

I would do exactly what you are planning. I can make money at $65 if it is in big quantities. I just bring extra guys and wheelbarrows and knock it out.