PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for replacement cabover

bearmtnmartin
04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
So I have this Hino FB that I use about 3 days a week. As you can see, I demand a lot of the little guy. And it does the job too, but the truck is a 94, and I want to replace it with a newer one this summer. So I want the exact same size truck, but with a little more jam. With the hoe on the trailer, I can do 100 k on the highway, but when i hit a hill, I'd better be over in the curb lane, becuase things go downhill fast when I'm going uphill. :laugh: Any suggestions? Hino no longer makes a cabover here(has to be a cabover) and I am looking for maybe 230 hp? this one makes 185 I think, with about 250 tq.

Gravel Rat
04-21-2010, 08:46 PM
The problem is there is no suitable replacements anymore unless you want to look at GMC or Mits. GMC would be easier to get or find because there are a couple Commercial GM dealers in Vancouver.

Hino was the best Cabover made too bad they don't make them anymore for the North American market.

Probably start looking at a 5500 it will still have a small engine you may need to go with a 6500 low pro to get bigger power.

MikeKle
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Look at a Ford LCF

lawn king
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Isuzu nqr.

Gravel Rat
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
In B.C. we don't have Isuzu truck dealers the GM dealers are the ones that carry some Isuzu but it is mostly GM branded Isuzu trucks.

360ci
04-23-2010, 11:35 PM
http://www.autotrader.ca/ and search in your area for ideas and perhaps even a viable replacement.

The Ford LCF is nice, but I'd prefer an inline diesel versus the Ford 4.5L V6. International makes a version of it as well but depending on your area Ford would most likely have better dealer support.

Isuzu would be my choice unless I can get a damn good deal on a new LCF, for a cabover..

Caterkillar
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I have to disagree. An LCF or an NQR are have going to have ZERO balls when pulling that 10-14k lbs. I think you need to go up to Isuzu FRR/FTR. Plus you will have air assisted brakes, jake brake, 19.5 wheels, and a 6-cylinder motor.

wellbuilt
04-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a ford LCF and It seems to pull OK .
On the hi-way i can cruse at 55-60 mph
driving around town its 40 -45 .
On a very steep grade Ive dropped to 15 16 mph but most of the time i can pull a hill at 30 mph+- .
I pull a 12000lb trailer with the truck maxed out 28000 gvw.

The breaks work good and at 36000 mile i still have some pad left .
I did have a leaking fuel line and my alt and batteries went dead 7 days out of warranty . ( I think the truck was sitting a while before i bought it ).
The good year tires where crap and the belts started unraveling at 30,000 miles and i just replaced them .
The largest problem for me is service , My ford dealer closed up last year. You must take the truck to a heavy truck center, most dealers cant work on the lcf . I get 15 mpg hi-way 10 city .
The mileage drops way off if you max it out .
The truck was 29000 new with a 11' 6" dump box .
so far so good 36,000 miles . John

BrandonV
04-25-2010, 06:25 PM
our lcf pulls fine too, not going to win any drag races but a lot faster than or mitfuso... mitfuso is a GREAT truck though.

lawn king
04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
I have to disagree. An LCF or an NQR are have going to have ZERO balls when pulling that 10-14k lbs. I think you need to go up to Isuzu FRR/FTR. Plus you will have air assisted brakes, jake brake, 19.5 wheels, and a 6-cylinder motor.

All very true, i was just trying to keep him out of the poor house on truck cost. My npr struggles on steepe hills pulling my 7000 lb trailer/kubota with 3000 lbs of payload in the body, however, its diesel,its paid for, it has 70,000 miles, its here for the long haul. New truck costs are INSANE !!!

Caterkillar
04-28-2010, 07:29 AM
All very true, i was just trying to keep him out of the poor house on truck cost. My npr struggles on steepe hills pulling my 7000 lb trailer/kubota with 3000 lbs of payload in the body, however, its diesel,its paid for, it has 70,000 miles, its here for the long haul. New truck costs are INSANE !!!

I just don't think isuzu's are meant for pulling. It is wierd how one my of npr's can't pull a 5k lbs load very well, but if you put the 5k lbs on the truck... you barely notice it.

70,000 miles on your isuzu? Yeah you have about 10 more years left on that thing! I have a box truck npr with 200k now and it won't die. Doesn't burn a drop of oil.

bearmtnmartin
04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the input. For the record, it sure doesn't have to be new, just way newer than what i have. Anything 05 and up would work. I am finding that it is quite hard to search for these trucks based on engine performance. And there are a lot of versions of some of them, with possibly different engine options. I really like the size of the one I have and I don't want to go bigger. Its really perfect in every way except a little short of horsepower. On the flats I can cruise along with traffic all day. We have some brutal climbs in my area (there is a 13 percent grade just around the corner from me) and it does those fine too, because it is geared low and speed isn't so important. Its only really on the highway where it struggles on a hill. 4th gear (Allison auto) is just a bit too tall for the horsepower.

Gravel Rat
04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
You will be dissapointed with anything but a Hino. Quite a few 5500 GMC/Isuzu cabovers here they do very well but your not gaining anything horespower wise just a newer truck.

A guy I know in the area has one of the last year Hino cabover it has a 18-19,000lb gvw forget the model number he wouldn't trade the truck for the world. It only has 60,000kms on it truck is in mint shape. The Hino dealer in Langley ? say they never seen a truck so clean.

Give these guys a call they have changed their name a few times over the years they started out as Grays Trux n Parts but they are decent guys to deal with. They were in Coquitlam but have moved to Surrey and now called Right Trucks and cabover trucks is their specialty.

www.righttrucks.com

mini14
04-30-2010, 04:54 PM
hino is coming back to the us with cabovers, as far as i know the ud 1800hd is a 230hp 6 cylinder 18k gvw truck, the isuzu nqr,nrr is 205 hp......get one now while u can cauz the 2011 is fubar with scr and limited availability and more $$$.....yes hino is #1 in build quaility hands down.

tnmtn
04-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Bear,
We have spoken before and do similar work and tow similar loads. I would highly recomend looking at the chevy kodiak 45-5500. i know they are not cab over but they are snub nosed sort of. the turning radius is crazy. horsepower and towing ability smoke any cabover below 26,000 gvw. the added benifit of 4wd is huge. there are still bargains on them on the net. the visibility is also very good. just a thought.
good luck,

lawn king
05-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Im not too sure about hino being #1 in quality? There's a reason isuzu is top in sales year after year, and its not because of how they pull. The isuzu diesel is a simple no frills engine, but they run forever and they get great mileage.

Gravel Rat
05-01-2010, 08:29 PM
It does say something that the only cab over currently made is GMC/Isuzu.

The problem with Hino is they are expensive to fix.

Caterkillar
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Im not too sure about hino being #1 in quality? There's a reason isuzu is top in sales year after year, and its not because of how they pull. The isuzu diesel is a simple no frills engine, but they run forever and they get great mileage.

I will buy nothing but isuzu trucks as well. They just WILL NOT die if you take care of them. I buy all mine with 100k miles for 6-7k and then run them to 300k for virtually no cost. Pencils out pretty nicely.

doubleedge
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
It does say something that the only cab over currently made is GMC/Isuzu.

What about UD, International, Fuso, etc?

lawn king
05-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I built my isuzu npr dump in 2003 (factory new). I have worked this truck year round, hauling, snowplowing (9' snoway), landscaping, pulling my 5000 lb. kubota, fertilizing/spraying, you name it. It's been hands down the best worktruck i have ever owned in 25 years of self employment, 32 years working in the green industry! I have spent $4200. in dealer repairs in 7 seasons, that includes a brake job and a $500. dollar AC repair due to blown lines, The ac line retention plate on the frame loosened snowplowing and the vibration/movement wore through the steele lines! (shame on me)! The only other serious repairs to this truck have been an oil pressure switch, a couple of tranny switches and some wiring harness repairs due to corrosion. Im big on PM on all my equipment and use oem filters. Isuzu builds a great ruck, i would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Gravel Rat
05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
What about UD, International, Fuso, etc?

Here in B.C. we are very limited on choices of cabover trucks in the current market.

GMC/Isuzu is the most popular it is the easiest cabover to find, next is LCF/International. Now that Sterling is no longer made the Sterling/Mits are tougher to get there isn't many Mits/fuso truck dealers. Hino and GMC were the most common then International/Ford put a contender in the ring.