PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Metro 48" Help with electrical

brian.maxscapes
04-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey guys, im new to this forum but have always looked at it. I just bought my first walk behind. Its a m48 14ko-5. 109499.

Its pretty old but cuts grass! and does it pretty well.

I just got this and i bought it needed some tlc. The charging system doesn't work. There is no.. (regulator)? The battery is a few years old so needs replacement also. The larger positive and neg wires are kinda old and to me they need replaced. But this mower works and works great when started. (jumping)

I don't see any voltage regulator on this, so I'm pretty sure its that. there are wires that don't go to anything coming out of the wire loom. Sure its for that.

I have no clue where to get a regulator and if this is going to make it charge. Can I get universal? there are only two wires. if i can remember right, its orange and black.

what kind of battery to get, and where. What should be a good cranking amp? I also need the safety switch for hand lever, and connector for wires. this isn't connected and seems like because the switch was old and not working anymore.

Other than that, some new blades..? any input on this? and a good pressure wash and grease this thing will be a great first walkbehind.

any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Brian Maxwell

piston slapper
04-22-2010, 12:06 PM
It sounds like you have a 14 hp kohler. If its a key start, it takes a battery and a regulater.If its not , It only uses a rectifier.

brian.maxscapes
04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
did this lawn mower ever come with this engine?

Kawasaki fc420v-es10
14hp, kawasaki/John Deer

All safety and tranny plugs and blad plugs go to the safety interlock module and then to no where. The blue and black wire coming from it are the wires i thought were for the regulator.

This mower is obviously nig rigged. I dont think this engine came with the mower and i think the owner lied to me about the charging problem. It seems as the battery is just there to start it up. I dont think, from the wiring diagram i have found there is a battery.

i think, this engine may be front a newer mower? I dont think it should have a battery but not sure how else it would hold a charge. there should be a regulator .. and a solenoid, coil energizer?

brian.maxscapes
04-23-2010, 12:44 AM
well.. I took today off and studied some. Finding info on this engine and other mowers. Ive decided to go ahead and make my own wiring harness. Just ordered my regulator and some connectors and such. Along with new cables, filters and sparkplug and also new wire.

I've made a diagram and it should work out well with the mower. Just need to go get a new battery and I'll be set!

I'll be waiting for my parts in the mail, until then I'll have to jump it :(. If you guys were interested in this and my problem, I can get back on this when finished.

thanks