PDA

View Full Version : help with Bermuda question

medtec113
04-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Someone please tell me what causes this in the bermuda grass. It is early in the season but last year it was this way all year. I use a reel mower to cut but it still looks stemmy.

Think Green
04-21-2010, 08:52 PM
First off, how much fertilizer have you fed this grass, and how much watering has been done all season.
Either your photo was taken on a cloudy day or there is too much shade for the bermuda to thrive. Is there any water standing on this site.?

medtec113
04-21-2010, 09:04 PM
The picture was taken about thirty min before dark. No shade in the area it gets full sun. I water about 1 inch per week (deep water) and I fertilized this spring (three days ago) 34-0-0. I just top dressed with sand. Everything seems good but it looks stemmy

medtec113
04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
maybe when I scalped it I didnt get it all?

Think Green
04-21-2010, 09:32 PM
I fertilize our Bermuda lawns with 32-3-7 2%S and Fe. 3 LB. of this product per thousand Square feet once a month. Ureas is substituted in one of the 5 applications of fert for the season. Urea at 2 LB. per thousand sq.ft. each time. Watering with irrigation systems 3 days a week......sorry for not going into the times to accumulate an inch of water per zone. It has been dry here already this early season. Either way, you need 1 LB. of nitrogen per thousand sq.ft. per growing month. Phosphorus and potassium essentially if needed by soil test. I apply a total of 5-7 lbs. of Nitrogen to Bermuda grass per growing season and water. Heavily mowed and clipping removed grass needs to be fed more. Did I mention water? If your soil is hard as a rock, adding sand will only make a brick and the turf will not penetrate this stuff.

medtec113
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
The soil is good. I understand what all the other ammendments you mentioned do, but was does the urea do?

Think Green
04-21-2010, 09:51 PM
You applied ammonium Nitrate 34/0/0, and I apply urea 46/0/0. The difference is 3lb. per thousand versus 2 lb. per thousand and cost.. I am boosting the growth effect and greenup before the heat and humidity sets in. I will switch back to the slow release of 32% to keep from causing fungus and damage to the lawns.

medtec113
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
any suggestion on the stems you see in the picture?

Az Gardener
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Urea is just Nitrogen. Scalp the lawn down and get the dead out but I would wait until it gets warmer. Soil temps need to be in the high 60's to get it really pushing. The stems may be weeds or some other variety of turf that does not take the shorter mowing. Or they may be Bermuda that was smashed by dull / poorly adjusted blades without being cut, just kind of smashed between the bed-knife and reel.

medtec113
04-21-2010, 10:12 PM
thx for the advise

Merkava_4
04-22-2010, 05:11 AM
My first thoughts while looking at your picture is that the Bermuda is way
too long; I'd have to stop mowing mine for 6 weeks to get it looking like that.

medtec113
04-22-2010, 08:10 AM
im really trying. My reel mower isnt the best and its difficult to adjust. im not sure what height im mowing at. I top dressed this year to level so i could get closer. Maybe Ill take it down another notch.

cgaengineer
04-22-2010, 05:05 PM
maybe when I scalped it I didnt get it all?

If that's scalped I would hate for you to see my bermuda! If you are going to cut your bermuda with a reel mower at the height get a good rotary mower. Drop it down! Take it down to 1/2", you can measure with a tape measure on concrete against the bed blade.

What you are seeing is stems.

And what reel mower do you have?

Check out this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=271124&highlight=bermuda+lawns

medtec113
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
here is another pic. It looks taller than it is. Still think I should taki it down low with the rotary mower? Keep in mind, Its just coming in.

Think Green
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Our Bermuda lawns are just starting to come in from our extended cool April month. Our grasses look the same, so don't fret. We have cut back all Bermuda's and Zoysia's to one inch and some are responding with nice green growth.
I was real tired last night from another 11 hour day of mowing, spraying,etc. so I apologize for not noticing the resemblance of your grass to ours. If your area hasn't seen temperatures of at least 85 degrees continuously or this bermuda will take a little longer to come out. I cut two bermuda lawns today at 1/2 inch with the Walker mower as the lawn is totally flat. Without any rain and warmer temps the stuff is pitiful to look at right now. What are your current temps??? in the evening and at midday.??

medtec113
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
78 in the daytime 50's at night
all of the green grass is about 1 inch its just those ugly stemss that look so bad

cgaengineer
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
78 in the daytime 50's at night
all of the green grass is about 1 inch its just those ugly stemss that look so bad

There's your problem...same as mine. I would cut it down low anyway to get rid of those stems since bermuda does not green up from old growth. And since you have a reel mower use it to get down below 1". My home lawn is about 80-90% green with just some spots that are brown. One area surrounded on all sides with concrete is the best looking of all of my lawn just because the concrete holds the heat and its all green. I cut my home lawn with a 30" reel at 1/2".

medtec113
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks. Ill do that tommorow. What type of reel mower do you have. Mine is a Mclane. Cheap I know but Im looking for a good deal on a used tru cut or Locke. Any recomendations?

cgaengineer
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks. Ill do that tommorow. What type of reel mower do you have. Mine is a Mclane. Cheap I know but Im looking for a good deal on a used tru cut or Locke. Any recomendations?

In this order:

Locke
TruCut
Legacy (Trimmer Clone) Made by Peachtree Mower in Duluth, GA.

I have a Legacy, its great reel but the lack of a separate drive clutch like the Locke or TruCut its not as easy to use. McClane is ok but its the way they are made which is cheap and the roller drive is just like a Trimmer or a Legacy which I am not fond of.

I just sold my 1 year old 20" TruCut to a fellow on this forum a few weeks ago. It was a P20 with the commercial Honda and a front roller.

Take a look at that thread I linked and you can see a picture of it.

medtec113
04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Matter of fact, I did see it. Looking at the lawn you cut with it made me want one. If you dont mind, how much did you sell it for?

cgaengineer
04-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Matter of fact, I did see it. Looking at the lawn you cut with it made me want one. If you dont mind, what did you sell it for?

I lost money on the sale, but I sold it for $850...not a bad deal...still had/has a few months of warranty on it. New they will run you about $1350 without roller, the roller will run you about $175 and will most likely come from my neighboring town Braselton, GA from a company called Reel Works which is where I have my reel sharpened.

medtec113
04-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Does your friend want his money back?

cgaengineer
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm thinking he is pretty thrilled with it actually. But I'll keep an eye out on craigslist for you...I picked up a TruCut last year for $50 which is where the roller on the one I just sold came from...its sitting in my garage right now waiting on me to take it and my Legacy for sharpening.
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Cool. Thanks for the help. If you run across something in your area let me know. I'm only 150 miles from you.

cgaengineer
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Check Peachtree mower in Duluth, Ga...they may have something. I saw a C27 on CL a couple weeks ago for $650 but it lacked a roller and a catcher....not a bad deal if your lawn is smooth and you have no need to bag clippings...how you lose the catcher I'll never know since they all come with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
04-23-2010, 07:43 AM
thx
Keep me posted if you see a deal

medtec113
04-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Ok...I cut the lawn to .5 inches and it cut those stemmy loohing grass shoots out. I was pleased with the results and planned on raising to mower to 1 inch for the finished cut. Well, it appears the dead looking shoots are growing to. How the heck do i get rid of this. Is this common for bermuda? Look at the pick I posted and help, help, help

cgaengineer
04-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Give it a little more time. The dead looking shoots are stems and you will not see them in about a month...if you continue to cut at 1/2 inch all you will see will be the grass leaves and it will be green from top to bottom, raise your height and only the tips of the grass will be green.
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I sure hope so. Im doing a soil sample and make sure my ammendmens are correct.

cgaengineer
04-27-2010, 10:34 PM
That's a good idea...and trust me about the height, I am 100% correct and anyone who mows with a reel mower will vouch for me.

You can raise the height to 3/4-1" when there is a lack of rain and you will be fine, drop it back down if you water or you get rain.
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
04-27-2010, 10:55 PM
It looks as if it has the beginings of a fungus. The blades (some) have the brown spots with a little purple spots. We really havent had that much rain. I guess I need to apply a fungicide

cgaengineer
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Hold off on the fungus treatment. Post some pictures first. I am willing to bet bermuda can outrun a fungus in most cases.
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
04-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Ill post some today. Thanks. Is there suck a thing as a 1/2 reatment meaning half the rate for preventative fungus. I had dollar spot bad last year.

medtec113
04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Here are some pics of the entire yard as well as up close on the grass blade. Some of the brown in the full pic is sand that hasnt filled in yet. My question is, the close up picture looks like a fungus. Still think I shouldnt treat. I just want that lush green yard and I havent found the combination yet. I sent my soil sample off today and am awaiting it but I dont expect it to be to far off the mark. Your thoughts please

medtec113
04-28-2010, 12:17 PM
having trouble with the close ups Ill keep trying

medtec113
04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
This is one of the close ups

cgaengineer
04-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Honestly if that was my lawn I wouldn't treat it. The less chemicals the better.
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM

I am the fellow with trucut P20 that I got from cgaengineer, and NO! I do not want my money back!!!:laugh: It was worth every penny and I highly suggest you should invest in one. My yard this year is light years ahead of my yard last year... even in it's prime last year. Oh and for the record I'm mowing at 1/2" too.

medtec113
04-30-2010, 03:50 AM
I am the fellow with trucut P20 that I got from cgaengineer, and NO! I do not want my money back!!!:laugh: It was worth every penny and I highly suggest you should invest in one. My yard this year is light years ahead of my yard last year... even in it's prime last year. Oh and for the record I'm mowing at 1/2" too.

I've tried finding them on craigslist. Found a couple but someone bought it out from under me. I'm still looking though. Has ur Bermuda co
me out yet? I would love to see the pictures
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
04-30-2010, 07:01 AM
I've tried finding them on craigslist. Found a couple but someone bought it out from under me. I'm still looking though. Has ur Bermuda co
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep looking and stay on top of them. When I was looking the good ones only stayed on there 2 or 3 days. Yes! my bermuda has came out! It really greened up after this past weekend's rain. I got 3.5". I am going to mow this evening and if I get done before dark I'll snap a pic for you if not I'll get one tomorrow morning and post it in this thread.

chaser2587
05-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok here is a pic from this morning. I mowed yesterday evening at 1/2".

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/chaser2587/IMG_5364-1.jpg

cgaengineer
05-01-2010, 08:21 AM
That looks better than mine Chase! Its not as dark green, but its green all over!
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
05-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Posted via Mobile Device
man that looks nice. I'll try to post my lawn today if it doesn't rain. I think yours has come out better than mine. I have a fungus starting that I need to treat

chaser2587
05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
That looks better than mine Chase! Its not as dark green, but its green all over!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks medtec!!! Please post, rain or shine. It was actually misting rain when I took the photo.

Thank you Chris as well! It's not dark green (yet), but it really greened up after the rain last weekend. Of course hitting with the fert before the rain made for a rapid green-up. I don't believe mine looks better than yours though... you can't let your protege show you up!

medtec113
05-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Here is a picture of mine. It still hasnt filled in all the way from the sand topdressing. I applied the fungicide this morning and a product called six iron. You guys ever used that?

medtec113
05-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Here is another picture

chaser2587
05-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Here is a picture of mine. It still hasnt filled in all the way from the sand topdressing. I applied the fungicide this morning and a product called six iron. You guys ever used that?

That looks good. I can't wait to get mine done. When did you topdress? How much did you apply?

medtec113
05-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I scalped in early April and applied 10 tons of sand. About 1/2 inch. It did a nice job on leveling. Didnt get it all level but will try again next year.

chaser2587
05-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I scalped in early April and applied 10 tons of sand. About 1/2 inch. It did a nice job on leveling. Didnt get it all level but will try again next year.

So I assume your happy with it...? Did you aerate before topdressing?

medtec113
05-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I didnt this year because my lawn is only two years old. that is a good idea though. After looking at your pic I think your tru cut is jacked up.. Why dont you send yours to me and get you another one. Ill see if I can do anything with it. :)

chaser2587
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I didnt this year because my lawn is only two years old. that is a good idea though. After looking at your pic I think your tru cut is jacked up.. Why dont you send yours to me and get you another one. Ill see if I can do anything with it. :)

Lmao... Yeah the trucut's jacked up alright, i've diagnosed it with making my lawn look better!!! And let me tell you it's a horrible problem to have! My lawn is 2 yrs old as well. It's kind of bumpy but apparently not as bad as I thought for b/c the reel only scalps to the dirt in a couple of spots. I have to go slower over the bumps, but if I went fast I wouldn't get to spend as much time using my Trucut! I plan on topdressing mine later this month.

medtec113
05-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I would scalp soon so it can recover good.

chaser2587
05-02-2010, 01:06 PM
I would scalp soon so it can recover good.

Did you not scalp right before you put your sand down?

medtec113
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Did you not scalp right before you put your sand down?

Yes. That way it gets down through the thatch. After I scalped, I fetilize then topdress with sand. I wouldn't go more than 1/2-3/4 deep. I got most of mine level this year and should be able to really level it next year. I couldn't find a top dressing machine so I had to do mine by hand. Not fun. I can share with you what worked for me if you decide to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Scalp again in late May to June and apply sand...I did mine by hand...its not impossible, its just manual labor!
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Scalp again in late May to June and apply sand...I did mine by hand...its not impossible, its just manual labor!
Posted via Mobile Device

mine has greened up overnight. I'm sure the six iron jump started it
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
05-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

YEah you can help me with me with that manual labor part

medtec113
05-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a plan. Grass is my crack. :)

chaser2587
05-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a plan. Grass is my crack. :)

Oh yeah I've definitely turned into a lawn nut! Don't know why I didn't ask for it, but it's happened. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

cgaengineer
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
YEah you can help me with me with that manual labor part

I will be glad to assist provided I am not too busy.
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I will be glad to assist provided I am not too busy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh I think you can put the shovel down long enough to come on over. No wait, on second thought bring that shovel with you.