PDA

View Full Version : grasshopper/woods question

JCLawn and more
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I just bought a 1994 woods 6215 diesel. I did not know it was a 94. This crosses with a grasshopper 721D. This is turning into a lemon. I thought the guy fixed it, well he did not. I keeps breaking wheel keys. He screwed up on the seal with the hydro with did not help the problem. I have it in the shop. There is a update on the final drive assembly. I am thinking of getting the update done to both sides. One side is going to cost $850 with labor and the new whole new assembly. This includes the shaft, hub, key, housing, and the guts. Is this key breaking on the shaft that holds the hub(or wheel) a frequent problem? This thing is going to cost more than 1000 for this :( I am paying 3500 for the mower. It did not seem bad when it included a bagger and its Diesel with only 1100 hours.

Lehighlawnpros
05-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi JC,

I have some Grasshopper frontmounts from that era,
it's very important that the axle nut is torqued properly during re-assembly, Grasshopper spec is 200 ft/lbs.

The Gemini transmissions are a bit of a weak link on those machines
and probably average 2-3,000 hours or so before they need fixing,
but otherwise very durable machines, you can expect 5,000 hours plus from the Kubota diesel if well maintained.

I've replaced several Gemini transmissions myself, it's a bit of a bear due to the way they mount.
I also rebuilt and replaced just the final drive once, it's much easier and can be done without removing the rest of the transmission.

Mowingman
05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Well, you are going to have way more money into that thing than it will be worth when you finish.
You might want to check with someone other than a Woods dealer, for getting it fixed. any good Grasshopper dealer can work on it and easily get parts for it. The parts might be painted tan or brown though, not orange.
I would shop the repairs around at several dealers for better pricing.
Heck, a complete, brand new transmission assy. from Grasshopper, is only about $1000/side

ricky86
05-02-2010, 11:01 PM
If the original owner did his own "repairs", and did the kind of work, what else did he screw up? 3/4 of the DIY repairs I see are wrong. And about 1/4 did more harm "fixing" it, than the original problem.

JCLawn and more
05-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I all good. Its was $500 and some for parts. The whole thing was $905. It had some issues going on in side of the drive assembly, so he replaced the whole thing. I have put 45 hours on it since then. This was done at the only grasshopper dealer around. They deal with New holand, Case, Toro, Grass hopper, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I am loving this Diesel though. It does not even use quite a gallon a hour. It leaves awesome stripes too. I hope to get 5,000 hours out of this.

Lehighlawnpros
05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Sounds good JC,

Yep, we now have a 722D with Kubota diesel and love it as well,
.6 GPH :-) and approaching 2500 hours runs like new.

Our 1998 725 Kubota liquid-cooled gas has 7,150 hours and runs/mows great.

Grasshopper+Kubota=good stuff!