PDA

View Full Version : overseed 57 acres

grassguy123
04-22-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a new customer that wants 57 acres over-seeded annually(im not joking)

what is the easiest machine to use for this?

how long do you think that will take?

how much grass seed do you think it will use?

there are no obstacles just huge straight lines, they dont care what they pay for this so im just looking for the fastest way to do it?

bigslick7878
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM

there are no obstacles just huge straight lines, they dont care what they pay for this so im just looking for the fastest way to do it?

2.5 million square feet approximately.

That would require about 12,825 pounds of seed at 5 pounds per 1,000 sq ft.

Good luck with that one!

Where in the heck is there 57 acres in New Jersey???

grassguy123
04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
its an army base contract we have.

do they make riding slit seeders?

bigslick7878
04-22-2010, 02:34 PM

No clue.

They have a machine for everything these days so probably.

RigglePLC
04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
If customer works for Goldman Sachs--remember he may be in jail by the time the bill is due.

hardscaper
04-28-2010, 10:15 AM

3pt. tractor mount slit seeder, we can do 3 ac/hr. if no beds.Make sure you run straight then perpendicular to your first run for better re-growth. Jacobsen, Gandy, Ryan all make them.

TJ LAWN
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Our Tax Dollars hard at work.....

rcreech
04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Why would one plan on overseeding every year?
If you do a good job and thicken it up with seeing and a good maintenance program you shouldn't have to seed every year.

If you are going to...I would invest in a landpride OS1572 unit or larger. With that size of lawn there may even be a larger unit but I am not sure what that would be.

White Gardens
04-29-2010, 06:54 AM
3pt. tractor mount slit seeder, we can do 3 ac/hr. if no beds.Make sure you run straight then perpendicular to your first run for better re-growth. Jacobsen, Gandy, Ryan all make them.

That would be my choice.

Only other thing I could think of is a larger pull type. You would have to rent a tractor and 20ft seed drill (I hate using the term slit seeder). You could do it in one day if you leased big enough equipment.

Only other thing would be to get a 3 point seed spreader that runs off the PTO of the tractor. That would be purely a broadcast seeding and you would get iffy results.

shooterm
04-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Act like a farmer and take care of the pasture.

phasthound
04-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Fort Dix-McGuire AFB Exchange has tons of acres to maintain. These people provide an important service to our country, give them good grass. :usflag:

Dtreefarm
04-29-2010, 11:21 AM
How long 'years' is the annual deal good for? I would do what rcreech mentioned. Or find a tractor work guy, or mabe to network with someone from lawnsite in the area that offers overseeding on a bigger scale. I would be most interested in helping, but little out of my area. 57 acres is a LOT of ground but very do-able with the right equipment. There is grass seed farms here that have some fields that look like a well maintained lawn, a 70 acre well maintained lawn that is. They top dress and overseed just like a lawn care outfit just have bigger implements:)