PDA

View Full Version : How many people should I take with me to lay 72yds. of mulch in 8 hours??

Swordfish3081
04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Question everybody? I need to spread 72yds. of mulch at an apatment complex. Its pretty open and easy mulching. I am having the mulch delivered out to the site. 20yds of it is 2 openplay ground areas, and the other 52yds are boxes in front of the units, that are mainly open also. I would like to get it done in atleast 8 hours. How many people should I take with me?? Thanks !!

unkownfl
04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Skid Steer?

R & R Yard Designs
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
5-6 good guys will get it done. This past monday and tuesday we did 140 with 5 guys in 15 hours for 2 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

kemco
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
I agree with the 5 or 6. One guy should be able to get out around 1 to 1 1/2 yds an hour if there's not much distance between delivery area and where the install is. But if you've got to move it more than around 20 yards in distance you might need a few more guys.

nhmower
04-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Is all the mulch being delivered to one spot or is it being dumped in several places to save time traveling back and forth with wheelbarrows. In my youth I spread that much with one other guy in a day but piles were dumped in 10-20 yard piles around the development.
Posted via Mobile Device

hackitdown
04-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Skid Steer?

A skidsteer is the best idea. But it may tear up the lawn. How about 3 men, 4 wheelbarrows, 1 skid or tractor?

One guy loads the wheelbarrows with the machine. The other two guys run them to the beds while the loader loads the other 2 wheelbarrows. You could easily load two 10 cu/ft wheelbarrows in a couple of seconds.

The distance to the beds would be the variable. But with a 30 second walk to the bed, and 30 seconds to get back, you could do four wheelbarrow loads in 2 minutes (about 1 yard). In three hours the mulch would be in the beds, which leaves 5 hours for raking it out.

DuraCutter
04-27-2010, 08:40 PM
A skidsteer is the best idea. But it may tear up the lawn. How about 3 men, 4 wheelbarrows, 1 skid or tractor?

One guy loads the wheelbarrows with the machine. The other two guys run them to the beds while the loader loads the other 2 wheelbarrows. You could easily load two 10 cu/ft wheelbarrows in a couple of seconds.

The distance to the beds would be the variable. But with a 30 second walk to the bed, and 30 seconds to get back, you could do four wheelbarrow loads in 2 minutes (about 1 yard). In three hours the mulch would be in the beds, which leaves 5 hours for raking it out.

Doesn't sound like the OP has a skid. If he did he probably wouldn't be here asking such a question. It always surprises me how guys have a hard time quoting. Do a few jobs guessing, and you'll quickly get the idea on how to estimate time. A good landscaper needs, no let me reword this, "absolutely" needs to be able to estimate!

Learn by your mistakes, best way to learn... believe me.

joe james
04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
5-6 good guys will get it done. This past monday and tuesday we did 140 with 5 guys in 15 hours for 2 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

How much do you charge per yard installed ?

GraZZmaZter
04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Duracutter - and how are you helping your fellow landscaper become the best that he can be?

Lazer Cut
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
grazzmaster... by letting him learn from his mistakes, instead of getting all the info on here. ive learned that sure guys on here are insitful, but when it comes down to it, they can help mow, trim, mulch, cut down or anything for me... they are just words... i gotta find out by doing it myself...

ive asked questions on here sure, not saying i havent, but ive also learned a lot from underbidding (accidentally) and learned the hard way

R & R Yard Designs
04-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Joe, we are at 43 to 135 per yard
Posted via Mobile Device

GraZZmaZter
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I beg to differ that the best way to learn things is to make mistakes.... that is a socital norm trap you have fallen into. Pick up a book or turn on a computer and read, research ... get as educated as possible and mistakes will be lessened... this isnt true?

DixieFerris
05-02-2010, 12:33 PM
With our Mulch Mule, that would take 4 guys about 7+ hrs I think. For you, I believe 6 guys full out, 10 hrs

topsites
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
All of them.
Unless you got more than either of us can count on our hands?

I beg to differ that the best way to learn things is to make mistakes.... that is a socital norm trap you have fallen into. Pick up a book or turn on a computer and read, research ... get as educated as possible and mistakes will be lessened... this isnt true?

To a point, and it could make things worse, too.
How many people you got, I say it will take 7-8 but maybe 8-10, the other guy said 5-6...
What difference it makes, one way might not get it done, the other might be a labor cost nightmare?

Then it's an apartment complex, what the hell, here we go again...
This could be anything from a few acres in size to some hundred+ acre sprawl, who knows WHAT goes where,
but one thing I do know is delivered or not it will involve a LOT of walking (actually, especially delivered).
Unless it's all going in one specific area and the guy driving the truck JUST so happens to nail the dump site.

So take your pick, but I would just take all of them with.

GraZZmaZter
05-08-2010, 12:54 PM
The first thing you guys need to learn on running a small business is social skills... who cares that you can run a mower, a skid steer, shovel, wheel barrow, etc.... what matters is if you can actually socialize with people on any level. Seeing how many of the people on here just want to argue or put in their two cents on why their opinions differ from someone else's should say alot about them.... take a look at yourself and ask "what am i saying here"

MarkintheGarden
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
The first thing you guys need to learn on running a small business is social skills... who cares that you can run a mower, a skid steer, shovel, wheel barrow, etc.... what matters is if you can actually socialize with people on any level. Seeing how many of the people on here just want to argue or put in their two cents on why their opinions differ from someone else's should say alot about them.... take a look at yourself and ask "what am i saying here"

Right back at you!