PDA

View Full Version : Do you avoid Wellytes because of

GreenLight
04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
rebulb sticker shock?

I find myself facing that dilemma in my head a lot when doing estimates. Im very partial to uplighting with wellytes w/par bulbs, but I admit on big residential properties that may have the need for 50 uplights I do hesitate a good bit on installing them. Overall I like the presentation and light output of the par so much more than the mr 16 bullet, but the bulb price for group replacement and even general replacement can really spook your customer a bit. Just wondering if anyone else strays from them for this reason. I know many people hate them for other reasons, but I am quite fond of them especially on large stalk trees.

Classic Lighting
04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I DON'T avoid well lights. IMO, they are perfect for turf areas. In beds, I prefer bullets. If a customer squeals at the price of par 36, then they probably can't afford the system.

ELumin8
04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
GreenLight,
On my "most common" bulbs I have a special price agreement between myself, my wholesaler, and the bulb manufacturer. The loyalty combined with volume and personal relationship has allowed me to achieve below market prices on my bulbs.

My suggestion is that if you like the effect of the par36, then stick with it, if you don't like the price, then work towards improving it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-22-2010, 10:59 PM
The cost of the lamps, even PAR36, is and should be such an inconsequential part of your quote as to not even worry about it. It is what it is... the lamp is the tool that allows you to express your self in your own style. If you prefer them then stick with them and don't change for anything, especially not a slightly lower system cost.

Your unique style and designs should command your price point, not the cost of the materials.

Don't sell stuff. Sell effects.

Don't sell components. Sell Systems.

GreenLight
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,

James you are correct. I am often overly analytical about the angles of "where could I lose this job" especially with customers whom I know are shopping estimates. I have to stick with my approach and not second guess that, suffice to say that certainly is an area I need to improve on.

JoeyD
04-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Well Lights are awesome! Cheap and Effective...High maintenance yes but you should be maintaining your jobs anyway...if not make the homeowner understand the negative effects a un maintained well light can have.

David Gretzmier
04-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I guess I am anti par because I have changed so many of those bulbs compared to bi-pins and mr's over the years under warranty. not only does the bulb typically cost more, often 2-3 times as much as an mr-16, it takes twice to 3 times as long to change in maintenance. and it burns out far more often and quicker. and the leaf buildup thing, the mulch thing, and the tabs start to break after the 10th year or so on the bulb changes. and you are forced to shop several places to get different angle spreads, wattages, whereas mr's are typically all bought at one place. the wire spade connections are more prone to corrosion than wire nuts.

so many negatives that I have experienced over the last 10 years or so has pushed me to using using mr16 fixtures instead of pars. while I will accept that a par will flood and wash better on 6 foot and under applications, beyond 6 foot distance the mr has a better spread.

and par bulbs and cans will only get more expensive as less folks use them.

par bulbs are roughly double what they were 10 years ago, and mr's are about 1/2 what I paid 10 years ago.

Tim R.
04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Whatever lamp you choose to use, you need to present your maintenance and relamp package as convenience for the client. I simply approach it from the standpoint that we do 2 visits a season. The first one is to wipe down lenses and check the aim and trim any blocking plant material. The second one is to fully clean the fixture, inside and out, relube gaskets, scape the lenses if necessary, put a weather protectant on the fixture to keep it looking good and relamp. By the time I explain all the things my customer is going to get with their service and the fact that everything is going to look and work like new I give them the price and say, oh yeah and this price includes the new lamp every year so you never have to worry about it. Since switching all my lamps to GEs years ago, I rarely ever, ever have a service call where I have to replace a lamp within a year of installing it. Sell the value, and the price won't matter.