PDA

View Full Version : Soaking seed

Keegan
04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I was told this a few years ago but I am missing one step.

When I soak seed to get faster germination I let the seed soak for about an hour take it out and let it dry in the sun but the seed is soo sticky. What am I doing wrong?

SeedPro
04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
It's called pre germinating and getting the seed to pre swell. Soaking a fifty pound sack of seed in a fifty five gallon drum of water for example then doing what you said....drying it.

I have never tried it.

I would think you need a breeze blowing across it and rake it while it dries.

And you have to install it immediately.

I think installing the seed and the first watering should be heavy to soak the seeds then light frequent watering to keep the seed cool, and moist but not "wet" is the best way.

RigglePLC
04-23-2010, 04:19 PM
http://hort.iastate.edu/turfgrass/extension/EGathfldpregerm.pdf

http://www.sportsgrass.com/info/plantingprep.html

You soak the seed in water, but...you have to change the water or bubble air through it, to remove the carbon dioxide and the natural seed germination inhibitor chemicals that occur in seeds. If you can keep the water warm, that is a help.
But then--you have to dry it out on the floor. Turning it often to make it easy to spread with a spreader. (Skip this if hydroseeding).

bigslick7878
04-24-2010, 01:37 AM
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

White Gardens
04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't call it ridiculous, but it's something I wouldn't do from a cost effectiveness standpoint.

Grass seed isn't a morning glory or canna seed that has a hard coat and needs to be soaked and sacrificed in order to get it to germinate.

Throw it down and water it in.

Keegan
04-24-2010, 07:58 PM
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

Don't mock something unless you have tried it.

If you need something to germinate fast it works well. I mixed mine with a liquid fert and it came in looking great. I just screwed up on the drying part because all the seed basically stuck together.

CHARLES CUE
04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
We always did this with garden seeds soak them over night [ they swell up real big] than plant them the next day they would come up real fast. don't let them dry that would kill the seed you have to keep them damp.
Charles Cue

Turboguy
04-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Personally I don't think it is worth the bother. I have pregerminated a lot of seed but not for years. I was always hydroseeding so I didn't have to worry about drying it out. I used 50 gallon waste baskets at first and then 5 gallon pails later. To me it was more work than it was worth. I could pregerminate and get it up in 4 days or not and get it up in 5 days and it was just a lot harder dealing with the buckets or baskets.

I have seen some sports fields where they really need to get it up fast use a method where the pregerminate for 24 hours. 4 hours in water, 4 out, 4 in etc and get grass up really fast.

I have a friend in England who hydro seeded golf course greens with bent grass and he had a system where he put the seed in water, let it sit for 4 hours and then passed air through it for about 12 hours and he could get bent grass up in 3 days.

All in all for someones lawn, it just isn't worth the effort.

Runner
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I can tell you that this is common practice for the major tournament golf courses worldwide. At Warwick Hills, home of the Buick open, they have seed soaking all during the tournament. This way, all the damage that is done during the open is then repaired and is quickly remedied in a VERY short time afterward.