PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on non-starting Tiger Cub

pfisterfarm
04-23-2010, 12:59 AM
I've got a Tiger Cub that's probably from about 2003 or 2004, and recently I tried to start it for the first time this year. It was a little hard to start last year before putting it away for the winter. Now when I turn the key, I just get a single clicking sound. Unfortunately, I'm a little short on funds right now to have this serviced, and I need to try and tackle it myself, and this sort of thing isn't my strongest suit. Is there any kind of beginner's guide to working on Tiger Cubs?

My first thought was the battery, so I traded it in on a new one, but no change, still just one click when I turn the key. From searching online, I got the impression the solenoid should be checked. I think I located it, under the air cleaner and next to the carburetor on the back of the engine. A couple of problems...

- the black wire is easy enough to remove, but the red wire goes around under a piece of metal, into some heat-shrink tubing, to a connector and it looks like it might be a little involved to remove, so I thought I'd investigate before try to remove it
- gasoline seems to be dripping out when I start to turn the solenoid (or what I think is the solenoid), is that normal?
- I checked at a local Scag dealer about a replacement part, and he quoted $300... is that normal? It seems like a relatively small part of the engine.

I thought about check the safety switches, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Should I look at those first, the solenoid, or something else?

Thanks!

macaw
04-24-2010, 08:40 AM
What motor is on it.

pfisterfarm
04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
It's a Kawasaki FH601V-CS21, 19 HP

Thanks!