PDA

View Full Version : Quick mowers

steve m
04-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Has anyone used a Quick mower? 1. are they any good? 2. Why so inexpensive?
3. Do they last? 4. Are parts easy to get? 5. If you have one would you buy one again?

Thanks, Steve

Richard Martin
04-23-2010, 06:02 AM
I can answer the part about them being inexpensive.

They are sold factory direct eliminating the entire distribution network. There is no distributor adding his profit and there is no dealer adding on his profits. There is a problem with this though.

Some of the parts of the mower are available locally. Things like engine parts and tires you can get anywhere. But the proprietary parts like the tranny, wheels, spindles, mower frame parts, casters etc you must order from the factory. And admittedly from the owner of the company, they may or may not have the part that you need when you need it. The spring time when they are building the most mowers is the worst time for parts. They can have a lag time of up to 6 or so weeks. Bear that in mind when you buy one of these mowers.

You may want to do a search for Quick mowers here at Lawnsite. There have been numerous issues reported ranging from deck clogging issues to the width of the mower being so wide that a 36" Quick won't fit through a standard 36" gate.

flydelsolsi
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I have owned one for 2 years, which is where I get my experience from.

1- Yes in the right conditions
2- Per Richard
3- I have had good luck with mine, I believe they are solid machines
4- No, if you are a serious mower you need to keep a back up, or buy two quicks. If you need parts you will need to wait for a few days. Depending on your dealer support you may have the same problem with any mower you buy.
5- Yes, but as time went on not as big of one. Not as great a deal as I originally thought. Still a deal in my opinion, as long as it fits into your business plan. Richard hit everything right on the head.

bohiaa
04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
I have one that's about 5 years old now and I have problems with the reverse cable always breaking, something is going on with the compression.
seems the battery cant turn it over when it hits the compression stroke. even with a NEW battery.

the handles are too low, should have run flat tires on the front.
this machine was cheep, and theres a reason for it,
the machine just didn't hold up

I would NOT purchsed another one.

Yater
04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I had a quick 26 single hydro (ninja) for 2 years. I had a problem with clumping in thick spring growth, but I have the same problem with my metro 36 this year. Otherwise, I never had a problem with the quick. It made me money, and I sold it for $1800. Now that I think about it, I'd buy another one. BOP was very friendly, and I had the mower ~3days after I ordered (free shipping too).

horsequick
04-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Has anyone used a Quick mower? 1. are they any good? 2. Why so inexpensive?
3. Do they last? 4. Are parts easy to get? 5. If you have one would you buy one again?

Thanks, Steve

My quick 36 is now 5 years old. Mine has the kawasaki engine and it's a hoss. I think the reason it has SO much power is because you're only turning 12" blades. I've never had one single problem with mine. The transmission is bullet proof. As far as cables.....never had one of them break either. Come to think of it....I've only replaced belts on it one time. Not because it broke but because I figured it was time for a new belt.
Don't worry about tearing it up especially if you're using it yourself. Sure, there are people out there that can tear any damn thing up. Hell, you can buy a brand new $50,000 corvette and can burn up the clutch in one day if you don't use it right. All I'm saying is that if you know how to take care and use equipment then it will last.
I would definitely buy again.

mbrew
04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
something is going on with the compression.
seems the battery cant turn it over when it hits the compression stroke. even with a NEW battery.

I'd bet that the valves have an adjustment procedure and that it's time to do it.

Mike

bohiaa
04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd bet that the valves have an adjustment procedure and that it's time to do it.

Mike

yea, that's what I was thinking too, it's nor really fair for me to bash the machine. the engine is briggs.

the machine has held up quite well for all the CRAPOLA I put it through.

hammanservicesllc
04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Still a deal in my opinion, as long as it fits into your business plan. QUOTE]

I agree the Quick needs to fit your needs. I bought a used Samurai with the 16 hp Kawasaki Kai because it fits my business plan. I mow small to medium yards that have tight spots to get in and out of. I also live in the city and have no place to park a trailer. I can load my Quick 36 easily into the back of my half-ton truck and still have room for a 21" mower (when I need it) and other equipment. I would be nice to have the dual hydro, but the single hydro is better than a belt drive for my mowing conditions.

I have not owned the machine long enough to speak about it holding up. It does deliver a great cut and is easy to use. Better Outdoor Products makes the only compact hyrdo mower that I have seen. I have been very happy with my quick thus far.

lawnjox
04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Just wanted to chime in on this! I have 3 of the 32's with the 15 hp kai's on the them. This is the second year running them and here is what i think! Each mower see's more then 100 mows a week during the season approx 32 to 34 weeks. These are the parts that were high usage. Usage is common to each mower
1) Bearings, each machine went through 3 sets! I use amsoil red grease weekly
2) Cables these things are cheap they rust into used more then 3 sets on each
3) one set of belts on each
4) Go through a set of blades about every 2 to 3 weeks
5) Front castor's are a little week if you bump into anything it will bend them just take them off and bend them back into shape
6) Forward and rev handle breaks from time to time and the operator present handle to
Some other misc stuff that any machine would use.

Bottom line Bop are the best in the business for dealing with issues and getting parts to you! 99% of the time parts in the shop next day! I have waited weeks for parts for Toro, Honda and other makes!
Quicks are simple and great mowers they do have issues in the wet grass, I think all mowers do! They fit into my mowing plan and I will buy more. Oh it does help if you can turn wrenches on equipment.

rwar
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Ive got a 44 dually and I would buy another when this one wears out,it is good on hillsides,I was using an old belt driven gravely last year on hills and it was killing me,but with the dually its faster and less of a workout.Keep in mind though it is not a bush hog and it dosent do well in wet grass,if you need to knock down clover 12 inches deep its going to clog on you,but otherwise on lawns that are kept on a 10 day schedule it leaves a really good cut

travski
04-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I am on the fence about my Quick32. I bought it last year and it never had an issue. This year I have burned up a clutch and then the Briggs and Stratton engine blew a rod and I have a golf ball sized hole in the small block.

With that being said: BOP is an AWESOME company and will do ANYTHING for their clients. They sent me a new clutch for free even though it was a month past warranty. and Briggs and Stratton are going to replace the small block for free (I had to convince them to do this though)

So, if you are going to buy one. Pay the extra money and buy one with a Kawasaki.

Also, if you are bagging in wet conditions it WILL clog. theres just too much grass trying to pass through the deck.

Whitey4
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Just wanted to chime in on this! I have 3 of the 32's with the 15 hp kai's on the them. This is the second year running them and here is what i think! Each mower see's more then 100 mows a week during the season approx 32 to 34 weeks. These are the parts that were high usage. Usage is common to each mower
1) Bearings, each machine went through 3 sets! I use amsoil red grease weekly
2) Cables these things are cheap they rust into used more then 3 sets on each
3) one set of belts on each
4) Go through a set of blades about every 2 to 3 weeks
5) Front castor's are a little week if you bump into anything it will bend them just take them off and bend them back into shape
6) Forward and rev handle breaks from time to time and the operator present handle to
Some other misc stuff that any machine would use.

Bottom line Bop are the best in the business for dealing with issues and getting parts to you! 99% of the time parts in the shop next day! I have waited weeks for parts for Toro, Honda and other makes!
Quicks are simple and great mowers they do have issues in the wet grass, I think all mowers do! They fit into my mowing plan and I will buy more. Oh it does help if you can turn wrenches on equipment.

I'm a small solo, so don't put as many hours on my 32" single hydro as lawnjox does, but my experience is the same. Thank goodness I got the 15HP Kawi engine. Man, it is sweet on a machine this size. I enter my third year with my Quick. I had one troublesome issue which I just figured out, and fixed. I don't like the Quick gas filters. Even new ones didn't fix my machine from missing and running rough. I finally bought a generic paper fuel filter, and she's running like new again. Seems that ball type filter gets stuck and interrupts gas flow. Even a brand new one.

Also had the reverse cable break under warrantee, got a new one free, but didn't even install it. Now I just flip the drive to "free" and pull the machine backwards. It's light enough at about 300 pounds to do that easilly. It's faster too, the machine was slow in reverse.

I found the right sized cotter pin for the front casters, and these clips don't get caught on shrubs as easilly as the factory pins do, cheaper too. I wnet through several factory pins on the trim side before switching, and haven't lost another pin since.

As a solo, I am pretty careful with the machine, I have no backup, and it hasn't let me down. It does clog in the spring slightly more than other mowers I have used, but they all clog. I just listen to the pitch of the mower and know when it needs to have the deck cleared.

I would not heistate to buy another.

lifetree
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
... the proprietary parts like the tranny, wheels, spindles, mower frame parts, casters etc you must order from the factory. ...

Richard -- Your comment about ordering from the factory is correct, however, lawnjox clearly has had significantly better experience than you because he indicated that 99% of his parts arrive the next business day ... no other buisness is going to give better service than that, not even a local dealer !!

My quick 36 is now 5 years old. Mine has the kawasaki engine and it's a hoss. ... I would definitely buy again.

... BOP was very friendly ...

... I have 3 of the 32's with the 15 hp kai's on the them. This is the second year running them ... Each mower see's more then 100 mows a week ... Bop are the best in the business for dealing with issues and getting parts to you! 99% of the time parts in the shop next day ! ... Quicks are simple and great mowers ...

... BOP is an AWESOME company and will do ANYTHING for their clients. They sent me a new clutch for free even though it was a month past warranty. ...

... I don't like the Quick gas filters. Even new ones didn't fix my machine from missing and running rough. I finally bought a generic paper fuel filter, and she's running like new again. ... I found the right sized cotter pin for the front casters, and these clips don't get caught on shrubs as easilly as the factory pins do, ...

As a solo, I am pretty careful with the machine, I have no backup, and it hasn't let me down. ... I would not heistate to buy another.

Issue concerning the gas filter is interesting, I haven't had that experience. Bottom line here is that BOP gives good service to their customers ... and that's why I've had a Quick 36 for 2 years ... a single drive and then upgraded to the Dually !!

Richard Martin
04-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Richard -- Your comment about ordering from the factory is correct, however, lawnjox clearly has had significantly better experience than you because he indicated that 99% of his parts arrive the next business day ... no other buisness is going to give better service than that, not even a local dealer !!

But at what cost? Overnight shipping can get very expensive. You are not going to order parts from NC and expect to receive them in MS the next day unless you pay the premium for Next Day shipping.

And even if a dealer doesn't have a part some manufacturers have an overnight parts program. Exmark's Part Plus is one example and they go a step further than Quick. They guarantee next day or the shipping is free.

Quick's issues with shipping, especially in the springtime, has been well documented here on Lawnsite. Even Gary Partridge has admitted that there may be a wait of up to 6 weeks during their busy period.

Yater
04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Quick's issues with shipping, especially in the springtime, has been well documented here on Lawnsite. Even Gary Partridge has admitted that there may be a wait of up to 6 weeks during their busy period.

No one here has experienced that.

RDA
04-28-2010, 04:28 PM

Wasn't that 6 week issue specific to someone ordering a new machine this Spring and there was a backup? I don't believe that issue related to parts which is a different situation. I spoke to BOP not too long ago and asked them how was business, they responded with the fact that they had underestimated sales going into 2010 (in light of issues in the economy) and hadn't planned their purchasing well enough to meet the demand for new machines hence the delay on certain new equipment.

I have gotten parts from them in two days via ground shipping, no issues. As I said previously, you can get certain parts locally if needed (like belts) and/or you could easily stock a few higher wear parts if one was really concerned with downtime. Personally, I believe this is true of any piece of equipment (whether locally distributed/serviced or direct from manufacturer). I have a number of John Deere parts that I buy from my local dealer, they are a very large dealer and keep many things in stock, but it always seems that certain parts I need aren't in stock so I wait just as long for those parts or longer than parts I order from BOP.

Regards,

Rich

Richard Martin
04-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I made the same claim about parts availability in a thread in which Gary Patridge was a participant. He had every opportunity to dispute my contention that parts can be an issue if they don't have them. He said nothing.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=271793

You may say that they save parts aside just in case someone may need them to repair their mower. That makes ZERO sense from a business standpoint.

That would be like saying that you're willing to not sell a brand new mower for thousands of dollars right now in the off chance that someone that you've already sold a mower to may need that part. Yeah. Right.

My guess would be that the parts go out as needed, without reservation.

Yater
04-28-2010, 05:17 PM
I made the same claim about parts availability in a thread in which Gary Patridge was a participant. He had every opportunity to dispute my contention that parts can be an issue if they don't have them. He said nothing.

You may say that they save parts aside just in case someone may need them to repair their mower. That makes ZERO sense from a business standpoint.

That would be like saying that you're willing to not sell a brand new mower for thousands of dollars right now in the off chance that someone that you've already sold a mower to may need that part. Yeah. Right.

We've all heard your take. You are a dealer. You should disclose that when you post. You have never owned a BOP mower.

RDA
04-28-2010, 05:32 PM

All BOP (i.e., Gary) noted in that other thread is that mowers are comprised of many parts, and if just one part is backordered, it could hold up the delivery of that particular mower to a customer. And yes, you could probably safely assume that if a current owner of a BOP mower needed the exact same part that was backordered for new production that they too would likely have to wait for that same part (as BOP likely isn't stockpiling them for repair parts while holding up production of new mowers).

That being said, we might be talking about one or two parts/components that were backordered at one time and it may be a moot issue currently (and in the future). For that matter, these parts/components may not even be wear parts (they could be the deck or the handle bars or the subframe) and likely not be a part anyone would ever need to order to repair their mower. Also, this could happen with any manufacturer for that matter, not just BOP. I used to own a POS Pontiac Grand Priix GTP (first year of production) in which the transmission failed within the second week of ownership right at 1,000 miles on the odometer. It took two weeks for the Pontiac dealer to get a transmission from Pontiac as they didn't have any on the shelves for repair and had to wait until they could get another one from their vendor.

Regards,

Rich - No relation to BOP or any other manufacturer for that matter

Richard Martin
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
We've all heard your take. You are a dealer. You should disclose that when you post. You have never owned a BOP mower.

Wow. Now I'm a dealer. I didn't know that. Just what is it that I sell? :dizzy: You'd actually find it difficult to find a post where I endorse any mower or hand held piece of equipment. I relate my personal experiences about the equipment that I use but that's about it.

Nope. Never owned a quick or claimed to.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I have other threads that detail my BOP experience. So I'll just update:

So far, one round of cutting into THIS season, I've had to replace 3 spindles, 1 belt, 2 front wheels (the entire assembly - bearings gone), and modify the grass catcher mount because the aluminum of the bag has succumbed to the pressure of the steel deck...

RDA
04-28-2010, 06:57 PM

So far, one round of cutting into THIS season, I've had to replace 3 spindles, 1 belt, 2 front wheels (the entire assembly - bearings gone), and modify the grass catcher mount because the aluminum of the bag has succumbed to the pressure of the steel deck...

To better understand your experience, a few more details would be helpful. Is this on one unit or do you have multiple units? How many hours on the unit(s)? Are you hard or easy on the equipment? Do you store inside or outside, maintain it properly, etc.?

I am curious.

Regards,

Rich

T.E.
04-28-2010, 07:21 PM

How many hours on the spindles, belts, bearings? Can determine much without more info.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-28-2010, 08:13 PM

What are you doing to your Quick to cause that mess? I have yet to replace any spindles, any front wheels, etc. Mine is a 2008 model. Biggest thing for me is belts (break one of each kind a season), and the reverse cable (two broken).

zimmerwerks
04-28-2010, 08:20 PM
List of things replaced after 300 hrs: 6 sulky yolks ( the metal was overheated when welded and crystallized... the 2 that I got from the factory and 4 more that I had fixed at a metal shop. Better says they're issuing a redesigned sulky this spring). Handle bar broke off.( Better send me a new one with thicker gauge tubing and I haven't used it much since that was replaced). Lots of low grade nuts and bolts throughout ( replaced w/ grade 5). one transmission ( replaced with part sent by better...gotta make sure I lube that better...) Pins holding the grass catcher on ( had welded anddon't know how long that'll last...don't curb hop with catcher in place...) Other that that I leaves a nice finish on flat lawns and gets into every gated back yard...floating deck would end any remowing I have to do especially when it's long. Am used to walkers GHS. Even after all the parts breaking the first year I'd buy another. I'd rather work on my own equipment because I can't wait for a shop...their videos online helped me with everything. Customer service has been !st rate. Just need alittle more R&D...

Whitey4
04-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Wow. Now I'm a dealer. I didn't know that. Just what is it that I sell? :dizzy: You'd actually find it difficult to find a post where I endorse any mower or hand held piece of equipment. I relate my personal experiences about the equipment that I use but that's about it.

Then maybe you should just shut up, eh? You never owned one, but you go out of your way to bash them whewnever you can. You have an axe to grind, I just am not sure of the reason.

Yater
04-28-2010, 09:55 PM
I relate my personal experiences about the equipment that I use but that's about it.

Yeah....thanks for your insight. You've enlightened all of us.

RDA
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
List of things replaced after 300 hrs: 6 sulky yolks ( the metal was overheated when welded and crystallized... the 2 that I got from the factory and 4 more that I had fixed at a metal shop. Better says they're issuing a redesigned sulky this spring). Handle bar broke off.( Better send me a new one with thicker gauge tubing and I haven't used it much since that was replaced). Lots of low grade nuts and bolts throughout ( replaced w/ grade 5). one transmission ( replaced with part sent by better...gotta make sure I lube that better...) Pins holding the grass catcher on ( had welded anddon't know how long that'll last...don't curb hop with catcher in place...) Other that that I leaves a nice finish on flat lawns and gets into every gated back yard...floating deck would end any remowing I have to do especially when it's long. Am used to walkers GHS. Even after all the parts breaking the first year I'd buy another. I'd rather work on my own equipment because I can't wait for a shop...their videos online helped me with everything. Customer service has been !st rate. Just need alittle more R&D...

Well, that is quite a list of issues. I agree on the fasteners, on the used Quick 36" I bought (~100 hours), I replaced some of the bolts/nuts with stainless steel as the original bolts were rusty and I also replaced the front bumper with stainless steel finished off with stainless acorn nuts. I also agree on working on them myself, I have rebuilt hydro transmissions and engines before, I haven't had to take any equipment to a mechanic for many years.

What happened to the transmission exactly?

Regards,

Rich

zimmerwerks
04-29-2010, 01:30 AM
wasn't transmission (sorry, had a long day) It was the clutch. It fell apart after about 175 hrs. I don't think I lubed it enough w/wd40 ...would have probably lasted a lot longer if I'd lubed it more. Would help if someone would spray while I engaged the deck. But no one is around at 5am when I service it. And on the fasteners I wouldn't go above grade 5 because there is still still a little flex with the 5 but less prone to snapping. It doesn't help that all of the nuts have been tapped...nylon lock nuts are the way to go. oh yeah, I have the big kawasaki on mine

RDA
04-29-2010, 02:09 AM
wasn't transmission (sorry, had a long day) It was the clutch. It fell apart after about 175 hrs. I don't think I lubed it enough w/wd40 ...would have probably lasted a lot longer if I'd lubed it more. Would help if someone would spray while I engaged the deck.

On the newer models, they have a heavier duty multi-disc clutch on the 36" and 44". I believe this was done as they used to have two types of clutches, a standard duty and the heavy duty clutch but found simply specifying the heavy duty model made more economic sense with better durability.

I wonder if they had specific clutch issues on the 32" and maybe it would be better served by a heavier duty clutch. But, you are correct, they do specify periodic maintenance of the clutch, I should do that:

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=Service+Tips_H.htm#Clutch/Brake%20Service

I too have the 16hp Kawasaki. No worries on the stainless steel bolts, they are generally pretty weak actually, approximately a grade 5 or less but they should be plenty strong enough for a walk behind mower.

Regards,

Rich

Richard Martin
04-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Then maybe you should just shut up, eh? You never owned one, but you go out of your way to bash them whewnever you can. You have an axe to grind, I just am not sure of the reason.

I have bashed nothing. I realize you diehard Quick owners would prefer that everybody think Quicks are the prefect mower but it's not going to happen. I believe there could be an issue getting parts during Quick's busy season. It's as simple as that.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-29-2010, 09:42 AM
To better understand your experience, a few more details would be helpful...

How many hours on the spindles, belts, bearings? Can determine much without more info.

What are you doing to your Quick to cause that mess?

Here was my original review (a bit overly optimistic): THREAD #1 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=244854&page=1).

And here was my one-year review: THREAD #2 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291415&page=1).

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I think everyone needs to qualify their maint. statements with how much you use your Quick per week. For a new guy looking at this thread who cuts a couple lawns a week with it, that is much different than running it 25 hours per week.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Unless you can somehow find a comm. hydro WB with super low hours for $3K you may as well just order a new dually. I'd love a Scag or TTHP 36 but they have priced themselves out of the game and I've got no love for dealers. My dealers around here often have to turn people away after buying their products because they are not qualified to work on them. They have no service techs and the people that are there are totally ******ed. The downsides to Quick mowers don't outway the benifits. As far you guys going thru clutches and all the other parts really often you may want to take closer look at how you treating your equipment. If you can destroy parts that fast it will happen on any machine you buy. In wet and tall conditions just side discharge and double cut. I don't have an hour meter on mine but if I had to take a guess it would be somewhere around 600-800 hours and I've replaced one belt. If BOP would come out with a 2 blade 36 that would take care of the wet grass problem. In some cases a floating deck would have been nice but overall its need would be very rare. Considering most other dual hydro WBs are $6K or higher its up to you how much money you want to spend. I know I could spend $6K on 36 mowers and make a profit. Times are tough and most of us are having to lower prices to keep up with the infilteration of new lawn guys.

RDA
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Here was my original review (a bit overly optimistic): THREAD #1 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=244854&page=1).

And here was my one-year review: THREAD #2 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291415&page=1).

Thanks, I hadn't seen those before, they are very thorough reviews. That being said, it appears you are very hard on equipment, 4 WBs in 5 years, tires worn out in 360 hours, etc. combined with hilly and treacherous terrain as you laid it out.

It seems to largely boil down to the fact that you aren't pleased with the BOP deck, it is too shallow and doesn't have enough vacuum causing you to do more double cutting than should be needed. This is probably a valid issue, I too think the deck could be designed better, it needs to be deeper and longer as the deck is pretty shallow and short. But, the short deck does make the overall unit shorter and easier to store.

With my Quick 36, I don't have uncut grass as my speeds are a bit lower and maybe I am not cutting off quite as much. But I can also tell the vacuum isn't as good as I would like it to be. I'll have to take some pics of my yard this weekend after mowing, the Quick 36 leaves a very nice cut but I am usually mowing in good conditions (although I mowed my yard in the rain last weekend and it performed admirably).

I also agree with your comments about the blade engagement mechanism, the discharge chute pin/hinge mount design and some of the hardware issues. I'll add that I don't believe the powder coat is as durable as it should be, I don't know if I just got a bad example or that the deck wasn't prepared properly for the powder coat process but I have more surface rust in 2 years and 100 hours than it should in my opinion.

Overall, I believe it is a good machine for the money, but it does have its shortcomings that could be addressed to make for a better machine. I doubt any mower manufacturer got everything perfect within their first five years of existence, particularly for the entry price of a BOP mower. Based n reading many different mower reviews, no manufacturer has gotten it completely correct yet, even if they have been is business for many years.

Thanks for your reviews.

Regards,

Rich

ed2hess
04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Unless you can somehow find a comm. hydro WB with super low hours for $3K you may as well just order a new dually. I'd love a Scag or TTHP 36 but they have priced themselves out of the game and I've got no love for dealers. My dealers around here often have to turn people away after buying their products because they are not qualified to work on them. They have no service techs and the people that are there are totally ******ed. The downsides to Quick mowers don't outway the benifits. As far you guys going thru clutches and all the other parts really often you may want to take closer look at how you treating your equipment. If you can destroy parts that fast it will happen on any machine you buy. In wet and tall conditions just side discharge and double cut. I don't have an hour meter on mine but if I had to take a guess it would be somewhere around 600-800 hours and I've replaced one belt. If BOP would come out with a 2 blade 36 that would take care of the wet grass problem. In some cases a floating deck would have been nice but overall its need would be very rare. Considering most other dual hydro WBs are $6K or higher its up to you how much money you want to spend. I know I could spend $6K on 36 mowers and make a profit. Times are tough and most of us are having to lower prices to keep up with the infilteration of new lawn guys.
Just for the record the Snapper Pro is dual hydro and has a LOT more features than your quick and it looks like it is built for heavy use. We run ours about 35 hours a week for almost 40 weeks and looks pretty good. And it cost a LOT less than $6K so there is one other choice.

zimmerwerks
04-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Only thing about the snapper pro is its 36" not 32" that 4inches would keep me out of alot of yards believe it or not. I figure some day I'll get good and drunk and plow through some of gates the with my truck and be able to walker everything...after I serve time of course...probably have to do that during the off season...always thinking...

WHIPPLE5.7
04-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Just for the record the Snapper Pro is dual hydro and has a LOT more features than your quick and it looks like it is built for heavy use. We run ours about 35 hours a week for almost 40 weeks and looks pretty good. And it cost a LOT less than $6K so there is one other choice.

Yes you are correct. I actually inquired about ordering one from my dealer but he said he has dropped Snapper because he can't sell enough inventory to keep up with dealer requirements. I would have ordered one but he said he won't deal with Snapper anymore. I do like what I've heard about them though.

Yater
04-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Once I took the discharge chute off of my Q36, it fit through all of my gates. Use a cotter pin and bolt if you must have the chute.

Yater
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
I have bashed nothing. I realize you diehard Quick owners would prefer that everybody think Quicks are the prefect mower but it's not going to happen. I believe there could be an issue getting parts during Quick's busy season. It's as simple as that.

My exmark dealer sucks....it's as simple as that.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-30-2010, 09:32 AM
...it appears you are very hard on equipment, 4 WBs in 5 years, tires worn out in 360 hours, etc. combined with hilly and treacherous terrain as you laid it out.
Yep. I know my situation is unique. The advantage of my knowledge being shared, is that I'm able to test the limits of a mower and (for better or worse) become intimately acquainted with its weak-links. I hope most people don't have the issues I do - but I'm able to serve as a warning of what components are underbuilt and what frustrations an owner might run into.
It seems to largely boil down to the fact that you aren't pleased with the BOP deck, it is too shallow and doesn't have enough vacuum causing you to do more double cutting than should be needed.
Yes, this is right. If it was a bit more competent in regards to the actual cutting (I mean, its sole purpose is to CUT GRASS, right? :laugh: ) - I'd be perfectly content to repair the little things and happily go about working...
But, the short deck does make the overall unit shorter and easier to store.
It certainly does. I like the short deck. I just wish the design had called for a DEEPER deck.
Thanks for your reviews.
That's what they're here for. I bought my BOP because nobody (at the time) had made a single comment neutral or negative about these mowers. There's was nothing but joy and ecstasy for BOP owners. So who WOULDN'T want one of these mowers?

After being hoodwinked, to a degree, I felt it was upon me to help others make as informed a decision as possible - and to know what they were getting into.

Again, I'm not ripping BOP here. I'm just being absolutely honest. (I include this last line because a moderator in the past has accused me of 'bashing one of their sponsors'.)

LBFmd
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
we had to wait a week for some mulch kits from BOP, i really needed them and well it may not have been the answer i wanted as soon as they got them they sent them 2 day shipping. We have order other miscellanous parts from them in the last 4 weeks and in a few days there here we couldn'y be happier with that. As for other parts i am still waiting on a 1 dollar spring from my toro dealer and its been 3 flippin weeks

As for the mowers our only complaint so far 4 weeks in is clumping of wet grass, we have slowed the machines down a bit and it has helped, but beyond that we have only had minor issues here and there with a sensor or switch. We emailed about it 2 days later new switch and new sensor, no questions asked. As for the clumping we have had the same problems with our Turbo force decks, our scag and our John Deere machines, I just write it off to the spring in the North East.

lifetree
04-30-2010, 10:40 PM
... he said he has dropped Snapper because he can't sell enough ... I would have ordered one but he said he won't deal with Snapper anymore. ...

The problem with Snapper PRO WB's is that they are all pistol grip machines ... after just a little while working with them your forearms will hurt ... that's why I don't like them !!

lifetree
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
we had to wait a week for some mulch kits from BOP, i really needed them and well it may not have been the answer i wanted as soon as they got them they sent them 2 day shipping. We have order other miscellanous parts from them in the last 4 weeks and in a few days there here we couldn'y be happier with that. As for other parts i am still waiting on a 1 dollar spring from my toro dealer and its been 3 flippin weeks ...

I have also had similar experience with BOP, there ability to service an account from a remote location is actually better than local dealers ... that's why I have a Q-36, along with the fact that the tunnel deck on the machine provides a better cut in normal conditions than the deep deck machines !!

dishboy
04-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I have also had similar experience with BOP, there ability to service an account from a remote location is actually better than local dealers ... that's why I have a Q-36, along with the fact that the tunnel deck on the machine provides a better cut in normal conditions than the deep deck machines !!

Wet grass is normal as well as mulching, the 36 fails miserably here.

ed2hess
05-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Only thing about the snapper pro is its 36" not 32" that 4inches would keep me out of alot of yards believe it or not. I figure some day I'll get good and drunk and plow through some of gates the with my truck and be able to walker everything...after I serve time of course...probably have to do that during the off season...always thinking...

Yep ...nothing worse than having to go get that darn 21" off the trailer to do a back yard. I used weedeaters on one yard last week because I forgot to put the 21" on the trailer.

tyler_mott85
05-01-2010, 11:12 PM
So I'm trying to come up with a summary of what I've read in these 5 pages about BOP mowers.

Here are some points I've come up with from my take from the ON topic posts.

1) Quick mowers are better for secondary mower

2) If it will be used as your primary mower be prepared for heavier wear than a 6k mower MAY or MAY NOT provide

3) Just like ANY mower, how well you take care of your equipment and what types of property you care for have a huge impact on the reliability of the mower

4) The parts/information support offered by BOP is second to none.

5) Save your money for the Kawasaki motor instead of the Briggs. (Anyone could tell you that)

6) Deck is too shallow to be effect in wet grass. Especially while bagging.

7) Having basic mechanical insight and able to do simple wrenching can greatly improve your relationship with your Quick mower.

Are there any other basic points to be pulled away from this discussion? Do you dispute any points I've mentioned?

Cheers!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-01-2010, 11:51 PM
To better understand your experience, a few more details would be helpful. Is this on one unit or do you have multiple units? How many hours on the unit(s)? Are you hard or easy on the equipment? Do you store inside or outside, maintain it properly, etc.?

I am curious.

Regards,

Rich

rich it sounds like your trying to stick up for quick no matter what anyone says. for people who REALLY use there mowers everyday all day it sounds like they are not reliable. shoot just cuz u own one doesnt make it a great mower! my gravely has had numerour problems and i wouldnt buy another one...but exmark has already proven to be a much more reliable and solid machine to me. i looked into quick before buying exmark, and they just seemes too cheap and i figured there must be a reason for that. glad to read some opinions. great thread

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-02-2010, 12:02 AM

I would say damp summertime grass is pretty impossible to totally avoid if you are a full time cutter. However, I wouldn't say mulching is the norm. I side discharge with my Z and Quick and get good dispersal of clippings. The only mower I mulch with is the 21". At any rate, it is impossible to mulch that heavy spring topgrowth.

RDA
05-02-2010, 01:42 AM
rich it sounds like your trying to stick up for quick no matter what anyone says. for people who REALLY use there mowers everyday all day it sounds like they are not reliable. shoot just cuz u own one doesnt make it a great mower! my gravely has had numerour problems and i wouldnt buy another one...but exmark has already proven to be a much more reliable and solid machine to me. i looked into quick before buying exmark, and they just seemes too cheap and i figured there must be a reason for that. glad to read some opinions. great thread

Apparently your aren't reading my all my posts, did you read this one:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3543123&postcount=36

I commented specifically that I felt the deck could be better designed and agreed with other negative comments about the blade engagement mechanism, the discharge chute pin/hinge mount design and some of the hardware issues. I also added that I don't believe the powder coat is as durable as it should be although I hadn't heard anyone comment on this issue previously.

So, I have posted favorable comments, negative comments, and I have attempted to discern others comments to better understand their context. Yeah, you sure did a great job calling me out...

;)

At least I own one and talk from experience (albeit limited) unlike so many others that simply blather on without even having owned or using one. I have owned lots of different equipment and currently own a fair bit of equipment.

I have extensive use of a Sithl chainsaw that was the biggest piece of crap ever, owned it since new and properly maintained and it never ran right. It was hard to start, often wouldn't restart after being used some and just generally never ran right with a number of Stihl dealers attempting to fix it. I am sure we paid more than $1k over the years trying to get it to run right and never did, and every Stihl dealer agreed it was hopeless. Eventually it was traded in on another chainsaw (not a Stihl). Does that make all Stihl power equipment crap? I don't believe so, but I own mostly Echo and RedMax stuff these days without any issues . My brother owns mostly Stihl, to each their own. I only ask that people be fair in their criticism and to put it in the proper context.

Regards,

Rich

vtec94
05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Very good thread and informative. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences.

lifetree
05-03-2010, 11:33 PM

I would say damp summertime grass is pretty impossible to totally avoid if you are a full time cutter. However, I wouldn't say mulching is the norm. I side discharge with my Z and Quick and get good dispersal of clippings. ...

Like DA Quality has said, mulching is not particularly "the norm" ... and I also agree with him concerning the spring time top growth !!

For these reasons, I use my deep deck Lesco machine for the first couple of months in the season and then use the Q-36 for the rest of the season ... it seems to be working out well.

MesaLawn
05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
This is the second season for my Quick 36 Ninja and overall I'm satisfied with the purchase. My throttle cable broke, and was replaced quickly under warranty.

Has anybody installed a operator controlled chute blocker for their Quick?
I removed the side discharge chute because it got in the way, and clippings are dispersed better without it. The problem I have is preventing clippings from blowing into planting beds when I go near them. I'd like to temporarily block the discharge chute. I do have the BOP mulching kit but don't want to stop to put it on/off. With a week of good growth I don't think this thing mulches too well, so I rarely use it. Stock high-lift blades.

Sorry if you consider this a hijack...

RDA
05-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Has anybody installed a operator controlled chute blocker for their Quick?

I have wondered the same thing for the same reasons. I noticed this seller has a chute block on their Quick but it doesn't appear to be controlled from the normal operating position.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=315625
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186980&stc=1&d=1272914464

Regards,

Rich

Ronniecoleman
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
I have wondered the same thing for the same reasons. I noticed this seller has a chute block on their Quick but it doesn't appear to be controlled from the normal operating position.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=315625
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186980&stc=1&d=1272914464

Regards,

Rich

Hey Rich in that picture thats the older mulch kit. I made a temporary chute block earlier in the spring. I need to take it to a welder and get some work done on it. I will post some pic's of it tommorow if you want.

JohnnyCuts
05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I used my Quick 36 single hydro Super Duty for 2 years exclusively. 700+ hours on it. I cut 60+ 1/4ish acre yards a week with it last year. I did replace a clutch and it sounds like they had a bad batch of 'em. It came in the mail 2 days later under warranty. Easy to replace and I'm not a gear head. The only issue I've ever had is the wet grass clogging. I have upgraded to a dual hydro Cub Cadet, but would have bought a BOP dually in a second if they would change the deck design (and will in the future).

RDA
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey Rich in that picture thats the older mulch kit. I made a temporary chute block earlier in the spring. I need to take it to a welder and get some work done on it. I will post some pic's of it tommorow if you want.

Thanks for the response, I did not know that. I would be interested in what you have done. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rich

Ronniecoleman
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Here is the chute blocker, its the old mulch plate with the inside removed. I need to get a piece welded on the top to attach another bolt and still figure out a way to move it with some sort of rod. As of now I just kick it with my foot up or down.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6254/p1010075ee.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/i/p1010075ee.jpg/)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/686/p1010073v.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/p1010073v.jpg/)

lifetree
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey Ronnie -- How many Q-36 machines do you have ... I see at least 2 in the pictures ??

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-06-2010, 11:24 PM
...aaaaaaand I lost my clutch... @$W#%!!!!!

flydelsolsi
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Haha, I lost my clutch 3 weeks ago on my bop with like 70 hours on it. Hopefully they get you yours before I got mine. Mower went down Wednesday lunchtime, didnt get the clutch until Saturday afternoon. I am a 7 hour drive away, and that was their express shipping option.

Richard Martin
05-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Haha, I lost my clutch 3 weeks ago on my bop with like 70 hours on it. Hopefully they get you yours before I got mine. Mower went down Wednesday lunchtime, didnt get the clutch until Saturday afternoon. I am a 7 hour drive away, and that was their express shipping option.

Did you buy 2 clutches or just one?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-07-2010, 09:45 AM
It was snowing here yesterday which bought me some time. I had to dig my old T-Bar out of the barn and get it operational.

Perhaps it's for the best, though. NOTHING moves overgrown grass like a double-bladed Turbo Force deck. I might just come out ahead...

flydelsolsi
05-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Did you buy 2 clutches or just one?

LOL, rather than try to warehouse an inventory of each part I just bought another walk behind. Figured it was easier that way. ;)

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
LOL, rather than try to warehouse an inventory of each part I just bought another walk behind. Figured it was easier that way. ;)

Another BOP, or something else?

flydelsolsi
05-07-2010, 11:22 PM
I actually bought another BOP (cheap and used). I did a lot of thinking and the deciding factor was the part interchangability. I think the bang for buck is high on the quicks. You get a lot with what you pay. They are not the best, and I do not like everything about them, but they are a good fit for me. Especially considering I already had one. I also do not mow 40 hours a week with one either. The main reason is less cost in stocking parts... although I still think it is rediculous to need a second mower when the first is practically new.... and if I added together what I paid for both I could have gotten a much nicer mower... so take everything with a grain of salt. Hindsight is 20/20.

Richard Martin
05-08-2010, 03:48 AM
I actually bought another BOP (cheap and used). I did a lot of thinking and the deciding factor was the part interchangability. I think the bang for buck is high on the quicks. You get a lot with what you pay. They are not the best, and I do not like everything about them, but they are a good fit for me. Especially considering I already had one. I also do not mow 40 hours a week with one either. The main reason is less cost in stocking parts... although I still think it is rediculous to need a second mower when the first is practically new.... and if I added together what I paid for both I could have gotten a much nicer mower... so take everything with a grain of salt. Hindsight is 20/20.

I like this guy. He's honest. Something seldom seen in a Quick owner.

Lawnman J
05-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I am a solo op /and also only do this part time(for now) although it seems like full time(mowing till dark) I have a Q36 with almost 400 hrs on it I cut 25 - 27 yards a week with it..and I have had a few small issues with mine I had a cable break and I have replaced some belts...but I think it is safe to say that those are all minor problems..Other than that I think it is a great mower,it cuts nicer and smoother than I see alot of other LCOs lawns and that is a fact,Yeah it doesnt like REAL TALL WET GRASS.and I mean it has to be Tall and wet to give you a problem,but I think thats with all mowers,my neighbor has his yard serviced and the LCO uses a Exmark and he was having issuses with clumping doulble and triple cutting so I dont think it is just a Quick issue...Yes I would buy anothr and I did a Q44 Dually Should be here this week...Cant wait

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Hey now. I'm pretty frank about mine. :laugh:

Ran the old T-Bar yesterday. Miss the hydros and giant rear tires of the BOP, but MAN! it's nice to be able to make one pass on grass 7-8" tall and have it cut. I guarantee you it would have required 3 or possibly even 4 passes with the Dually to achieve the same results.

I tell you what, if I could get my Turbo-Force Deck onto the BOP, I might just have a mower!

Richard Martin
05-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey now. I'm pretty frank about mine. :laugh:

I know that. :) Your name is so long though and my fingers get tired. You're another one of those seldom guys.

RDA
05-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I like this guy. He's honest.

Agreed, he seems like a straight shooter, he said some of the same things I said in this thread.

Something seldom seen in a Quick owner.

Did you mean to say "Something seldom seen in a Quick Hater"?

Regards,

Rich

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I know that. :) Your name is so long though...

What's in a name? I've been called all sorts. :cry:

flydelsolsi
05-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I think the biggest problem with the quicks is people mis-classify them. They may be a commercial machine, but they are not high end. I dont think they were designed to be high end, just a low cost alternative. I dont buy a honda and expect it to perform like a ferrari. Its the age old story you get what you pay for. Anyone who buys a honda and acts suprised when it doesnt preform is stupid. The reason Ferrari is around today and cost what they do is because the are tried and true. It doesnt mean a honda wont do the same thing, it will. It just isnt as fast or do it as well, hence the price difference. Quicks are high end home owner low end commercial user machines. Thats what I have found anyways. If you mow million dollar homes that expect perfection you should probably spend the few bucks to get a more expensive machine. If your main job is just knocking down grass, you will be alright with a quick. Like anything else, what works for some people wont work for others. I am 60-70% pleased with mine, but I am cheap when it comes to spending money.

RDA
05-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I think the biggest problem with the quicks is people mis-classify them. They may be a commercial machine, but they are not high end. I dont think they were designed to be high end, just a low cost alternative. I dont buy a honda and expect it to perform like a ferrari. Its the age old story you get what you pay for. Anyone who buys a honda and acts suprised when it doesnt preform is stupid. The reason Ferrari is around today and cost what they do is because the are tried and true. It doesnt mean a honda wont do the same thing, it will. It just isnt as fast or do it as well, hence the price difference. Quicks are high end home owner low end commercial user machines. Thats what I have found anyways. If you mow million dollar homes that expect perfection you should probably spend the few bucks to get a more expensive machine. If your main job is just knocking down grass, you will be alright with a quick. Like anything else, what works for some people wont work for others. I am 60-70% pleased with mine, but I am cheap when it comes to spending money.

Well, there name is "Better Outdoor Productions", not Best Outdoor Products, I think they would even agree with your analogy somewhat. When I bought my Quick 36", I expected a solid value machine, I didn't expect it to be an Exmark or Scag nor did I spend that kind of money.

Looking at my yard today after mowing yesterday, it looked extremely good, the cut was very even and it is always nice when neighbors or your wife compliments on how it looks.

Regards,

Rich

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-08-2010, 11:44 PM
The Quick WILL leave a heck of a lot nicer cut on a lawn that most other WB's out there. Not something you would expect from a 'low end commercial machine' like some state here. My brother runs a Toro TBar and although his machine makes mine look like a toy, my finish cut is much nicer and striped up than his.

Personally, some tweaking with that deck design, and look out!

flydelsolsi
05-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, there name is "Better Outdoor Productions", not Best Outdoor Products, I think they would even agree with your analogy somewhat. When I bought my Quick 36", I expected a solid value machine, I didn't expect it to be an Exmark or Scag nor did I spend that kind of money.

But I think all too many people do, and thats where they get their bad name. Too many expect whiskey for beer prices.

RDA
05-09-2010, 12:00 AM
But I think all too many people do, and thats where they get their bad name. Too many expect whiskey for beer prices.

Indeed, this forum is loaded with people that expect to get everything and spend nothing for it, but complain every other thread about lowballers or potential customers that don't want to spend a lot of money. The irony is pretty humorous actually.

That being said, there are a number of very intelligent people that have shared a lot of knowledge and experience and I have learned a lot from them.

Regards,

Rich

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-09-2010, 01:05 AM
The Quick WILL leave a heck of a lot nicer cut on a lawn that most other WB's out there. Not something you would expect from a 'low end commercial machine' like some state here. My brother runs a Toro TBar and although his machine makes mine look like a toy, my finish cut is much nicer and striped up than his.

Personally, some tweaking with that deck design, and look out!

That's just weird. I own BOTH of those machines, the BOP and both a Toro with the Turbo Force and the SFS deck, and the Toro cut is superior and with better stripes, wet, dry, tall, short, thick, thin.

Got the new clutch today for my Dually around 1pm and ran home to get the BOP running. I hustled back out, used it on two yards... and then put it back on the trailer and resumed cutting with my Turbo Force. There's just no comparison to cutting capacity and quality.

The BOP is comfy to operate, but when it comes to kickin' butt and takin' names, it's the skinny, hapless dweeb in the locker room hovering a foot off the ground gettin' a supersonic wedgie while everyone watches and laughs.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Matter of opinion whoop. I believe the TBar my bro runs has the regular (non TurboForce, thus SFS) deck. His machine does not leave near the great stripes I lay down. That is, if stripes matter to anyone but the striper himself:)

milkie62
05-09-2010, 01:36 AM
But just think how much less a Scag or Toro would be if you could cut out the middleman and buy factory direct.I think the BOP is a great machine for smaller yards and a great alternative to a 21".

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Matter of opinion whoop. I believe the TBar my bro runs has the regular (non TurboForce, thus SFS) deck. His machine does not leave near the great stripes I lay down. That is, if stripes matter to anyone but the striper himself:)

I've been wondering if it could be that there's a significant performance difference between a 44" and a 36". You 36ers like 'em. But my 44" is a disappointment...

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-09-2010, 10:26 AM
But just think how much less a Scag or Toro would be if you could cut out the middleman and buy factory direct.I think the BOP is a great machine for smaller yards and a great alternative to a 21".

A 36" T-Bar is in the same price range as a Dually.

flydelsolsi
05-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Got the new clutch today for my Dually around 1pm and ran home to get the BOP running. I hustled back out, used it on two yards... and then put it back on the trailer and resumed cutting with my Turbo Force.

This post pisses me off. When did you lose your clutch on the 6th? I lost mine about 3ish one day and I did not get the replacement until the 3rd day. And that was with their "upgraded" shipping. I wanted to pay to get it shipped next day and they wouldnt go for it. I am a 7 hour drive away and you are way out in UT and you get yours in 2. That is complete bullcrap. I bought a second machine due to their inability to get their replacement parts to me. Apparently their shipping to the other side of the country is quicker than someone in the same region as them.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-09-2010, 03:16 PM
This post pisses me off. When did you lose your clutch on the 6th? I lost mine about 3ish one day and I did not get the replacement until the 3rd day. And that was with their "upgraded" shipping. I wanted to pay to get it shipped next day and they wouldnt go for it. I am a 7 hour drive away and you are way out in UT and you get yours in 2. That is complete bullcrap. I bought a second machine due to their inability to get their replacement parts to me. Apparently their shipping to the other side of the country is quicker than someone in the same region as them.

That's tough, man. Sorry about that. I talked to Tommy on Thursday morning (so it was postmarked on Thursday) and had it delivered probably around noon on Saturday.

lifetree
05-09-2010, 03:35 PM

I've always been honest about mine ... however, being honest doesn't mean necessarily mean that you have to disparaging remarks !! I have previously indicated that the Q-36 machines have trouble with tall, wet grass.

lifetree
05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
The Quick WILL leave a heck of a lot nicer cut on a lawn that most other WB's out there. ...

Yes it will, I've said this previously as well !!

Jim Slapper
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I have the quick 36 and the clutch went out today I have 15 hours on it. I use it on small fenced in back yards I will be calling them tomorrow. What kind of job is it to change the clutch?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I have the quick 36 and the clutch went out today I have 15 hours on it. I use it on small fenced in back yards I will be calling them tomorrow. What kind of job is it to change the clutch?

1.) Lower rear-end deck adjustments as low as possible.
2.) Remove deck cover.
3.) Free belts from clutch.
4.) Remove engage-wire from clutch.
5.) Grip the center shaft of the clutch with either a pipe wrench or large vise grips, and then loosen/remove 5/8" bolt from bottom.
6.) Knock clutch free.
7.) Reinstall with same instructions, insuring that the guide-tab on the right hand side is hooked into its hole. (You'll know what I mean when you look at it.)

Yater
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM

I've always told the truth about mine. You just don't like to hear it.

WHIPPLE5.7
05-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Whats with all these clutches going bad? I think I'll order one to have on hand after reading this. Never a problem out of mine yet. I engage at idle and disengage at idle, I guess thats what keeps it in good shape.

flydelsolsi
05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
My favorite part about my clutch going out is they advertise the clutch as being one of the top 6 or so reasons to buy the mower... and mine went out without barely being used and def. not being abused. I guess the important question is what failed on everyones clutches. On mine the clutch wouldnt disengage. You would manually disengage the clutch and the blades would keep spinning... I guess they just got a bad batch of clutches or something...

Jim Slapper
05-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info on the clutch repacement. My clutch won't engage even if I try to put it in by hand. I hope they cover it under warranty it's less than a year old. I guess I am spoiled I have a scag wildcat with 650 hrs. and it has never had a problem.

Yater
05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
. I guess I am spoiled I have a scag wildcat with 650 hrs. and it has never had a problem.

I had a Q36 with more hours and no problems. I guess I was spoiled too.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info on the clutch repacement. My clutch won't engage even if I try to put it in by hand. I hope they cover it under warranty it's less than a year old. I guess I am spoiled I have a scag wildcat with 650 hrs. and it has never had a problem.

They will. Tommy almost covered mine under warranty (even though I'm out) - which is pretty charitable, considering the blunt accuracy of some of my comments on their machines.

In all truth, though, I'm going to talk to them - because the new one helped me realize my clutch was goofy for some time.

I complained on LS about how my blade engage lever wouldn't stay on sometimes (just pop free randomly when mowing). Well, my new ones is super-tight and won't have that problem... which got me thinking.

I actually found that the placement-pin on the outer rim of the clutch that slots into a hole in some framework to hold the clutch in place was worn nearly through!!! (See picture.)

Now mine had no bolt holding it to the bracket, even though that pin is threaded. Do y'all's mowers have a bolt that fits into that pin? Or do they all just sit in place?

Anyhow, because of that damage, my clutch had a fair bit of wiggle to it. And I'm wondering if it's possible that my clutch died prematurely because the wiggle-room made it so that the clutch wasn't fully engaging... and eventually wore down and stripped the splines? Dunno.

Also attached is a picture of the bushing that was the ultimate failure on mine. If any of you have old, busted units still - maybe see if that's what happened with yours.

flydelsolsi
05-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Whoop, mine looked like new in that regard. Looks like we all had different failures, which I guess doesnt say much for Noram.

zimmerwerks
05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
The spring on the clutch was a *****, I was afraid to bend it thinking it might have been forged or something, ended up having to bend it after an hour of pulling on it to get it hooked. Spring didn't break so I guess you do have to bend it to get it hooked in the clutch...hope this helps.

zimmerwerks
05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
hey...it censored *****...what the?

RDA
05-09-2010, 10:43 PM
See my earlier post in this thread related to clutches, I believe the newer models have a heavier duty clutch (at least on the 36" and 44" models):

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3542825&postcount=31

Also, there was a link in that post on the maintenance procedure for the clutch. If I was using my BOP mower commercially, I would have a spare clutch in my parts bin.

Regards,

Rich

flydelsolsi
05-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Mine was a multi disk, I am pretty sure whoop has a dually, so his would be multi too. Niether of ours were disk failures.

zimmerwerks
05-10-2010, 12:01 AM
I really wasn't expecting it to fail the way it did. I just came apart and fell off...Good idea having a spare on hand. think I'll order one soon.

ed2hess
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=whoopassonthebluegrass;3557284]Anyhow, because of that damage, my clutch had a fair bit of wiggle to it. And I'm wondering if it's possible that my clutch died prematurely because the wiggle-room made it so that the clutch wasn't fully engaging...
That kind of failure is pretty common...most of the time it will be a bearing that fails and it lets the part "wiggle" and that affects that .015" air gap. If they made these things so those bearing could be replaced I think the life would be increased a lot.. I am a little comfused about there being some plastic bushing in a clutch I don't think I ever seen that before.

JDExmark
05-27-2010, 09:10 AM
generally speaking i'm weary of *any* product in which part, if not most in this case, of the marketing strategy is a low price point...

no middle man, factory direct... it is a legit point but it's also one of the oldest marketing strategies/tricks in the book...

personally rather have a dealer network, and spend the extra money for it...

wonder what these machines would cost if distributer and dealer network added a mark up and how then would they compare to the Exmark's Scags etc of the world...

I'm going to guess they would come in at slightly less $ and not be as high quality...

RDA
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
generally speaking i'm weary of *any* product in which part, if not most in this case, of the marketing strategy is a low price point...

no middle man, factory direct... it is a legit point but it's also one of the oldest marketing strategies/tricks in the book...

personally rather have a dealer network, and spend the extra money for it...

wonder what these machines would cost if distributer and dealer network added a mark up and how then would they compare to the Exmark's Scags etc of the world...

I'm going to guess they would come in at slightly less $ and not be as high quality...

Hmm, so you are thinking that adding a distributor and dealer network to something that is currently direct from the manufacturer and reasonably inexpensive is going to make their product cost less?

Regards,

Rich

JDExmark
05-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I mean in comparison to Exmark, Scag other well known brands..

I'm thinking Quick would still be less in comparison to the main line makers assuming you add the theoretical dealer network...so we are now comparing apples to apples.

Exact Rototilling
05-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I've been wondering if it could be that there's a significant performance difference between a 44" and a 36". You 36ers like 'em. But my 44" is a disappointment...

I wondered about this myself...the Quick 36 deck does leave a nice cut in drier conditions. Several of my clients really like the look of the cut.

I only wish someone on here would frankly and bluntly compare the cut quality between the Quick 32, 36 and 44 decks. Doubtful I will get a Quick 44 at this point mainly because most of my accounts have gates that will not allow a wider mower...and I would not be able to get some of my equipment past a Q44 like I can with a Q36 on my 6 x 12 enclosed trailer: 21" mower, 96 gallon trash barrel on wheels, Lawn Solutions WB aerator, etc. I would however consider a Quickie 32 if it truly cut wet grass better than a 36" deck with just 2 blades. There must be someone on Lawn site that owns both the Quick 36 and a Quickie 32? Many of my accounts have those fairly steep grass swells that basically require a 21" mower then again I'm not sure the difference of 4" will help enough to leave the 21's at home.

whoopassonthebluegrass, .....What are your thought on the Toro Grandstand mowers?

zimmerwerks
05-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Well I just mowed and mulched a whole week in the rain, here in Missoula. A little double cutting in heavy areas is necessary at times, and banging the deck off on your trailer. I just power the blade down on the ramp and off the asphalt. It'll poop 20 pounds of mulch if you turn it off in the yard. The 32 is perfect for the gated back yard. Stander would be better because the issues with the sulky. The wheels stick out so you can't cut close and I went through 7 of them last year breaking at a bad welding idea on the yolk of it. Now I have three back ups. Thats the deal breaker. Although BOP paid for everything and they were great about it yada yada, There are better designs for for a couple grand more. It's worth it to me and my customers.

Alta Lawn Care
06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I seriously downsized my business two years ago from 6 condo complexes, a few commercial accounts and a half dozen residentials to one (1) residential and three of my own lawns. I sold the Snapper Pro zero turn and the 48" Bobcat hydro wb and kept the 16 HP Samurai Quick 36. Why? Because I couldn't justify keeping a $10,000 or $5,500 mower to mow four lawns and I just couldn't give up the Quick. When this one dies (in 15 years or so), there is no question. I will buy another.