PDA

View Full Version : Can't cut grass

jeffslawnservice
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
I have an exmark metro 48 (belt drive) and when I engage the blades. Its starts to rip the belts apart and the belt starts smoking. I can't cut because with in 5 minutes the belt would end up snapping. Anyone know what the problem might be, I can't seem to figure it out.

topsites
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I would be willing to bet it is routing around a piece of belt guide the wrong way,
they're little L-shaped like steel pieces that somehow keep the belt from falling off or some such thing,
there are a couple along the way, at least one or two are up underneath the
engine part of the frame, down up around that big bad pulley there's one or two,
and I am about convinced your belt is going around it the wrong way.

That or the little guide is out of line, they can be adjusted but can also fall out of adjustment.
Anyhow, something's hitting or rubbing up against that belt, something steel.
That's what it sounds like.

ELS LLC
04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I WOULD CHECK THE IDLER PULLYS, iF ONE IS SEIZED OR DRY IT WOULD CAUSE THE BELT TO CREATE HEAT AND FRICTION. tHEY SHOULD SPIN EASILY. gOOD LUCK.

unkownfl
04-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah you just need to follow the belt around and check for clearance / routing issues or a bad pulley.

44DCNF
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Yep, jumped a belt guide, seized pully, or came off the drive pulley and is running on the engines output shaft or between the pullies. A sloppy engagement linkage or belt brake adjustment can be to blame so once you find the routing fix, make sure to check those other adjustments. Letting the disengagement of the blades happen quickly from high speed rather than easing it back at a low throttle setting can send a belt off line (if in need of adjustment particularly).

Lawn N Order
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Or in the worst case, one of the spindles could be seized up or the bearing might be failing. This would also cause things to not move freely. I'd loosen the belt, or take it off and check each pulley and spindle.

FuturePilot4u
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
shoulda bought a hydro......viking..

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-23-2010, 11:42 PM
my gravely had the same problem last week. turned out to be the tranny pulley was bent and the idler arm was damaged because of it and it was tearing thru tranny belts. went thru 2 belts be4 i fugred the problem out

DT Lawn Care
04-23-2010, 11:45 PM
shoulda bought a hydro......viking..

What does this have to do with anything??? Has absolutely nothing to do with the thread and contributes jack crap.

Pulleys, spindles, belt guides, or out of adjustment.

jeffslawnservice
04-24-2010, 01:59 AM
I actually stoped by my dealer today since i was close to him. He couldent find anything. Eventually we found a small piece of a tree blanch caught up in the belt. Must have been causing some sort of friction on the belt, thats all I could think of. Cuts great now. Thanks again guys.