PDA

View Full Version : 2,4-D Amine on res lawns

lawnchopper
04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
since the Menards WBG doesnt seem to to the trick on broadleafs I noticed in the ag section of the store 2,4-D Amine thats primarly used for agricultural apps but it says it can be used on lawns I was wondering if anyone has uses 2,4-D Amine and lawns before and had any luck?? Its very concentrated but has mixing instructions to uses with a hand sprayer which is what i'll be using to spot treat weeds

If i remember right most commercial applicatorss are using 3-way herbicides mostly right??

GreenwithEnvyLawn
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
When I first started out I used 2,4-D Amine a lot. Bought it from Rural King and went to town. At that time I was using a 30 gal sprayer to do the job. If you are just spot treating why not use a non-selective herbicide and hit the weeds with that? The 2,4-D is great to use for total lawn coverage.

lilmarvin4064
04-23-2010, 03:55 PM
If you are just spot treating why not use a non-selective herbicide and hit the weeds with that? The 2,4-D is great to use for total lawn coverage.

because he want's to kill the weeds, not the lawn. Haven't you seen the Ortho commercial. :laugh:

2,4-D won't kill everything that a 3-way blend will. depends on what weeds you got.

jasontimm
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I use to use it all the time, i put it in a 30 gal sprayer, 4 oz to teh gal. is how i mixed it. kills dandis good, if the conditions were right it would get most of the creeping charley, but you had to work to get the clover to die.

RigglePLC
04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Actually Ortho Weed B Gone is almost the same as a three way. Ortho improved the formula 5 years ago. Better than 2,4-D. However for tough weeds use Ortho Clover, oxalis and chickweed killer. Be sure to use it full strength, maximum permitted.

naughty62
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I have a jug of straight 2-4d.I used it kill dandies and other broadleafs near pine windbreak and back lots that want to keep their white clover.

dwost
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
I've use the Amine 400 2, 4-D from Tractor Supply with great results in my 25gal boom sprayer. I've used it in a back area of my property that was overrun with broadleaf's as well as several neighbors yards with dandelions. It's also priced very well, $50 for 2.5 gallons. I use this when I don't have time to hit Lesco for Three-Way. http://www.tractorsupply.com/weed-killers/amine-400-2-4-d-2-1-2-gal--4201543

jspray
04-26-2010, 12:04 AM
2,4-D is still a good ag. product as it is mostly used on annual weeds that are young. On turf we find older hard to kill weeds part of which may be perennial.

A good 3-way such as Triplet works much better. The 2,4-D, MCPP, and Dicamba act in a synergistic manner and is very effective on hard to kill turf weeds such as lespedeza.

Additionally in centipede areas Triplet can be safely used.

lawnchopper
05-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I bought some last nite at Mills Fleet farm it Gordens 2,4-D Amine i think you mix it 1 oz pergal to spot treat

indyturf
05-14-2010, 01:28 AM
it will work but a 3-way product will work better and not cost much more.

cecropia11
11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
is there any one with a applicators license who can answer this question i have, do you professional applicators ever use more than the label states. as i have used 2 4-D amine and have used 3.5 oz per gallon. for use on Kentucky 31 it killed of all broad leaf weeds first time, even white clover with no damage to the grass.

fireman gus
11-09-2011, 09:33 PM
I use 2,4D amine in my tank when the weather is above 50 degrees. If it is below that Amine doesn't do as good a job as 2,4D LV. LV is ester and will drift more than Amine. If you buy at a farm supply store I would look for PBI Gordon's. I have found thier price to be very competitive.

CHARLES CUE
11-09-2011, 09:47 PM
is there any one with a applicators license who can answer this question i have, do you professional applicators ever use more than the label states. as i have used 2 4-D amine and have used 3.5 oz per gallon. for use on Kentucky 31 it killed of all broad leaf weeds first time, even white clover with no damage to the grass.

So how much area does that gal of solution cover

No i don't spray over rate

Charles Cue

greendoctor
11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Actually Ortho Weed B Gone is almost the same as a three way. Ortho improved the formula 5 years ago. Better than 2,4-D. However for tough weeds use Ortho Clover, oxalis and chickweed killer. Be sure to use it full strength, maximum permitted.

The Ortho Weed B Gon Max is actually a cut down version of Horsepower. MCPA, triclopyr and dicamba. Which means I have had to tell many people not to use it on warm season grasses other than zoysia. The old Weed B Gon which was 2,4-D and MCPP was actually safer on warm season grasses.

Ric
11-10-2011, 08:54 AM

cecropia

Homeowner are required to follow label law same as a Professional. Of course they only get caught if there is a Huge problem that is reported.

Under label Law you can go under label rate but not over the label rate. Most cases going over Label Rate can be a bad thing. Too much Chemical might not work as good as to little. In the case of plants, you could burn or kill the plant or turf with too much chemical. A recent problem I ran into was a customer pouring Boric acid on all her base boards. Boric Acid is a great safe insecticide if used as a LIGHT DUST not a pile. The pile acted as a repellent and the insects just went around it. Remember it is not what you use but how you use it.

Ric
11-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I use 2,4D amine in my tank when the weather is above 50 degrees. If it is below that Amine doesn't do as good a job as 2,4D LV. LV is ester and will drift more than Amine. If you buy at a farm supply store I would look for PBI Gordon's. I have found thier price to be very competitive.

I am 100 miles South of Orlando, that has a year round growing season. Therefore Ester formulations of Herbicide are generally a No No for me because we are Too hot. Of course the big sweat with Ester herbicide is volatilization and Drift. If I were to use an ester herbicide here I could in fact kill Hibiscus plants 3 blocks away. Esters work much better in cooler weather than Amine formulations.

Ester formulation herbicides have more knock down and at a quicker rate. I have used Ester herbicides for total kills of heavy bush in Industrial and Agriculture settings where I didn't see any collateral damage problems from
drift.

Tractor supply does have some good prices on chemicals. Take into account they are 4 miles from my house and their prices look even better in a pinch.

BUT MY POINT is like all Big Box Stores they order the same merchandise for South Florida Store as North Mn stores. Therefore a homeowner can buy the wrong product and do a lot of damage. I purchased my Ester Herbicide there because my real supplier don't carry the same Ester Herbicides.

cecropia11
11-11-2011, 12:10 AM
what is the most 2 4-D amine you can use in OZ per gallon, according to the label per 1K . what is stupid about these labels on these herbicides is depending on brand they give different application rates with same 2 4-D amine active ingredients. No wonder people screw these up all the time.

Ric
11-11-2011, 09:31 AM
what is the most 2 4-D amine you can use in OZ per gallon, according to the label per 1K . what is stupid about these labels on these herbicides is depending on brand they give different application rates with same 2 4-D amine active ingredients. No wonder people screw these up all the time.

cecropia

You are confusing 4 lb and 6 lb material. 4 pound material means there is 4 lb of active ingredient per gallon. 4 lb loaded material means it has surfactants already added.

Read the whole label and try to understand it. Don't just skip to the rate per thousand chart.

greendoctor
11-12-2011, 03:53 AM
Actually, the label for 2,4-D is very simple. You are limited to so many lb of ai or formulated material per acre per year. Going over that is a label violation. If I had an area where I needed to figure out how to apply to less than that entire area, forget the figuring and hand weed. Insanity is playing find the weed in a lawn full of weeds. Correctly and evenly apply to the entire area or forget it.

greendoctor
11-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Due to proper spray equipment, timing of applications, and actual formulation of the mixed spray, I have not had to go over label rate to kill weeds with any herbicide. Identifying the actual weeds and selecting the most effective material for the job is also important. Some weeds actually require off label rates to be killed by 2,4-D because it is the wrong material for the job. Misuse of 2,4-D is what will get it into ground and surface water. Which will then get it banned. Even if it has not been proven to cause cancer.

cecropia11
11-12-2011, 06:26 AM
I do not go over the label rate, I was just asking what is the most that you can use per 1K, so basically according to the label, lets say it says do not use more than 2 lb per year, per acre so basically for that area herbicides give you, you could use at any rate for that area as long as you do not go over the total amount per year. However I have noticed that a lot of herbicides give a per 1K feet area application rate, where as 2 4-D amine does not. why is that

cecropia11
11-12-2011, 06:32 AM
the first question I asked I did not specific close enough what I was trying to find out, what i meant was on the 2 4-D label it does not state oz per gallon per 1k, that is what i was trying to figure out, however after the posting from Ric I now get the label, so at the rate i am using i am not over the labeled rate.